News:

• May 03, 2024, 11:12:00 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Stalker 46SE fuel preferances  (Read 1037 times)

Offline Phil Coopy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain
  • SHADE TREE MECHANIC, NO ENGINEER
Stalker 46SE fuel preferances
« on: January 26, 2010, 10:42:22 AM »
Who is running FAI fuel in their Stalker 46 and who is running other stuff?  And what venturi size?

Phil

Offline John Miller

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Stalker 46SE fuel preferances
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2010, 06:20:54 PM »
Phil, I've made it a habit to always run FAI fuel to begin with in my Stalkers. After flying and trimming out the plane, I can then experiment with adding small amounts of nitro. Virtually all my Stalkers are running fine for me on FAI fuel.
Getting a line on life. AMA 1601

Online Lauri Malila

• Admiral
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2010, 04:58:34 AM »

..and remember that FAI-fuel has only castor as oil. Differend synthetic behave in differend ways and some can cause weird problems in high-compression/tight fit engines on East-European style engines (sqeek, detonation..). I use 15% castor and 5% Motul Micro synthetic in my Retro's, it seems to work and engine stays a lot cleaner than with all castor. L

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2010, 08:00:20 PM »

..and remember that FAI-fuel has only castor as oil. Differend synthetic behave in differend ways and some can cause weird problems in high-compression/tight fit engines on East-European style engines (sqeek, detonation..). I use 15% castor and 5% Motul Micro synthetic in my Retro's, it seems to work and engine stays a lot cleaner than with all castor. L

Not exactly true, Lauri. It depends on what event the "FAI Fuel" is specified for. Because of this, over here, any glow fuel without nitromethane is referred to as "FAI Fuel". On the container, verbally, and justifiably, per the section below, as copied and pasted from the online rules for the F1C event.  H^^ Steve

"Rule B.3.1.a. of Section 4b does not apply to class F1C. Fuel to a standard formula for glow plug and spark ignition motors will be supplied by the organisers, and must be used for every official flight. The composition shall be as follows: 80% methanol, 20% castor or synthetic oil."
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Online Lauri Malila

• Admiral
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2010, 02:59:23 PM »

Thanks for correction, Steve. That explains why I sometimes smell something else than castor when watching F1C's.
 But I think that in FAI control line (A&D) the oil must still be castor.
 Anyway, my point is to allways start with all castor fuel with these engines to learn the possible potential, then start experimenting with other oils. L

Offline FLOYD CARTER

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • owner
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2010, 05:28:30 PM »
It is quite impossible for me to get FAI fuel (except by expensive mail-shipment)  Our local hobby shop sells SIG, so I use 10% nitro with combination oils in my Stalker.  Added a head gasket, per instructions.  The  Stalker on-line instructions indicate that "some" nitro is just fine for Stalkers-- (they don't blow up, or anything like that!)

Floyd
89 years, but still going (sort of)
AMA #796  SAM #188  LSF #020

Online Lauri Malila

• Admiral
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2010, 04:52:26 AM »

Is it not possible to buy methanol and castor separately and mix by yourself?? L

Offline John Miller

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2010, 05:38:17 AM »
I'm not sure that FAI fuel is specifically all castor lube. My experience runs differently.

The online instructions for Stalkers specifically warn agianst using all castor with their engines, citing the need to de-coke the engine to remove the deposits castor leaves behind.

The metalurgy used is such that high castor lube is not needed to protect the engine. These are not iron piston/steel liner engines like a Fox, that require high castor lube, In fact, the instructions say that they prefer all synthetic, but if you must run castor to limit the amount. I personally run a blend, using 5% of the total lube being castor. It has worked very well for me, with several engines running 6 or more seasons with no problems.

Of course, one can run any fuel/lube combination they want. The worse that will happen with all castor is that the top of the piston, and cylinder head will get covered in burnt on castor and lose power until it is taken apart and cleaned. One of my clubmates experienced this first hand with a Discovery Retro he was running. The power and run difference was very noticable after cleaning.
Getting a line on life. AMA 1601

Offline Brian Hampton

• Captain
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2010, 07:17:16 PM »
Just to clear things up about FAI fuel, it's generally accepted to mean 80/20 all castor but that ain't necessarily so :). FAI fuel is a fuel that has to be provided by the organisers for certain classes of models. Other than specified classes the fuel is unlimited as far as nitro or type/volume of oil used.

Specified classes are;
F1C (FF Power)...80% methanol and 20% oil (first pressing castor or synthetic) mixed by volume. There's no mention of whether a competitor can use for a blend but it's not excluded so I guess it's possible.

F2A (CL speed)...80% methanol and 20% first pressing castor mixed by volume. The tank has to be rinsed (washed out) with supplied fuel before each attempt at an official flight.

F2D (CL Combat)...70% methanol, 10% nitro and 20% first pressing castor oil. Strangely they missed saying it has to be mixed by volume.

F3D (Pylon Racing)...80% methanol and 20% first pressing castor oil mixed by volume.

Offline Manuel Cortes

• Commander
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2010, 10:41:39 AM »
Hi all, mines run perfect with 20% Klotz, 2% Castor (you know...protection, etc..) and 5% Nitro, same numbers as a good Tigre 46 (tested with mines).

Regards.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here