Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: ST45  (Read 874 times)

Offline Phil Coopy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain
  • SHADE TREE MECHANIC, NO ENGINEER
ST45
« on: May 31, 2006, 08:09:03 PM »
I'm playing with an exRC ST45 conversion(freebie). They weigh 11.35oz without the venturi.  Question is: do they need all that cooling fin on the cylinder? I could easily machine a lot of weight off there.  Also I am looking for a ballpark venturi size.

Phil (Retired with a lot of time on my hands)
« Last Edit: June 01, 2006, 06:03:27 AM by PHIL COOPY »

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
Re: ST45
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2006, 11:04:44 PM »
I suspect you have a relatively recent issue S.45, an ABC Schneurle ported device. This engine isn't designed for CL, of course, but it should be possible to make it work for Sport-Stunt, at least. My fellow club member, Larry Price (aka Curmudgeon on SSW) has one, and asked what sort of setup might work on it. You two might conspire, tho I don't know how close Larry is to flying his.

I suggested using the MACS Muffler. http://www.macspro.com/onepiece.asp They seem to limit the peak rpm, but also need to be run in the right rpm range, which is around 10k, +/- a few hundred. I'd start with a .281" venturi with a .156" spraybar through the center, but it will run up to .312"+ with no problem. A Bruline air filter would be an easy way to tune the venturi size...coarse and fine filter elements. The coarse is about equal to .010" reduction, the fine about .020". Also makes the engine much easier to start, especially inverted.

A Thunderbolt, Zinger, or K&B 4 cycle glowplug would be a reasonable starting point, along with Powermaster 10-22 or similar fuel. That's half castor/half Klotz with 22% oil. The engine will have to be set rich at launch to prevent sagging overhead, so look for a peak of about 12k on 4" pitch or less. I'd be trying the APC 12.25 x 3.75, or 12-4 Zinger Pro, but would expect to clip it down some. It won't be the ultimate prop, but a good starting point (Square 1).

When the muffler (tuned pipe) is working just right, it makes a rattling noise, sounding about like the wheels are falling off. That's good. Unless the wheels fall off. I ran the MACS Muffler setup on my .46LA/Humongus, and it was absolutely the easiest setup to run, and with good fuel economy. But you need a tach.

If you can't make that work at all, I'd suggest blocking the boost port, running 5" pitch (12-5 APC or Zinger Pro) and a Randy Aero muffler. That'd be an SSW setup, which works well. The venturi would maybe get enlarged some, but everything else would probably work. It would take a lot more fuel capacity. Florida's heat and humidity would make me leave the fins alone...and keep them clean.   %^ Steve 
« Last Edit: June 10, 2006, 11:57:37 PM by Steve Helmick »
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Offline Phil Coopy

• Captain
  • SHADE TREE MECHANIC, NO ENGINEER
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2006, 08:56:05 AM »
Thanks Steve, think I'll put it up for a future project.   An RC guy gave it to me after he dimolished the carb and didn't want to buy a new one so I thought I try to convert it to C/L. Great informaton tho and I appreciate you sharing your expertise.

Phil

Offline Leester

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2006, 03:23:33 PM »
Phil: FWIW The ST45 and ST 51 use the same carb. So the venturi from the ST 51 C/L and NVA will fit it. 9.00 for the NVA and 10.00 for the venturi through Tower.
Leester
ama 830538

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here