News:

• May 07, 2024, 10:27:54 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: ST 51 prop drive washer broke  (Read 472 times)

Offline Bob Reeves

• 2016 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
    • Somethin'Xtra Inc.
ST 51 prop drive washer broke
« on: August 24, 2007, 09:12:52 AM »
Wanted to try a lower pitch prop on my Skylark and happened to have a Bolly 3 blade 12-41/4.. Only 3 blade spinner I had was a Dubro plastic so I put it together with the spinner back and started tightening the prop.. All of the sudden SNAP! the prop drive washer broke  ???

What the heck is this all about... Looks like the drive washer was forced too far into the retainer cone and it split the drive washer. Can't believe it happened, never had a problem with 35's and 46's.. Wondering if it was machine tolerances and whatever was suppose to stop it didn't. Weird...

Have no idea if the 51 will turn this prop but wanted to try it full length before I started cutting it down. Now even though I have another engine I can rob the parts from I'm a little scared to try it again, has this happened to anyone else  ???

Offline RandySmith

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
    • Aero Products
Re: ST 51 prop drive washer broke
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2007, 12:35:35 PM »
HI Bob

This is very common and has been happening for the last 15 or so years, Ever since Super Tiger stopped using the turned material and started using cast drive washers, they are no where nearly as strong, and break in half quite easy

Randy

www.aeroproduct.net

Offline Bob Reeves

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Somethin'Xtra Inc.
Re: ST 51 prop drive washer broke
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2007, 11:24:56 AM »
Thanks Randy,

Had an old G21 drive washer, looked like it would fit but the skirt (for lack of a better term for the thin overhang on the back) was a bit long and rubbed against the front of the engine. Chucked it in my lathe and cut enough off so it would fit.  Have it all back together and looks like it will work fine.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here