News:

• May 02, 2024, 12:35:29 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: ST 46 Replacement?  (Read 5471 times)

Offline Bob Reeves

• 2016 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
    • Somethin'Xtra Inc.
ST 46 Replacement?
« on: September 15, 2006, 02:39:10 AM »
Anyone know of a .50 or .60 that might be a sorta drop in replacement for the ST 46? (insert Tim Taylor grunt here)....

Offline Ralph Wenzel (d)

• Captain
Re: ST 46 Replacement?
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2006, 03:37:32 AM »
You might check with Al Rabe. I sold him a pair of ST G21 .51s back in the early '70s; he needed more grunt for the early Bearcat, and may still have them. Not a common engine; I really don't know how many were made, but they'd swing a 12-5 with ease.

(Too many irons; not enough fire)

Ralph Wenzel
AMA 495785 League City, TX

Offline Bob Reeves

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Somethin'Xtra Inc.
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2006, 05:11:07 AM »
Thanks Ralph but was looking for something more modern that I can get parts for. Heard Tom Dixon is importing a Double Star 50 or 51 that fits the bill but also heard it wasn't as powerfull as one would think it should be.. This is all rumor, anyone have any straight dope on the Double star?

What about the PA's or RO jets? Not that i can afford one but one can always dream..

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2006, 06:16:57 AM »
Thanks Ralph but was looking for something more modern that I can get parts for. Heard Tom Dixon is importing a Double Star 50 or 51 that fits the bill but also heard it wasn't as powerfull as one would think it should be.. This is all rumor, anyone have any straight dope on the Double star?

What about the PA's or RO jets? Not that i can afford one but one can always dream..

Hi Bob,

The Double Star 50 is a direct swap for the ST 46.  I had a head strip out at Huntersville several years ago and bolted one of Tom's engines in my plane as a loaner.  It was pretty much identical in run characteistics.  I know that if more power would have been needed, a larger venturi and/or nitro would have done the job.  Stock it doesn't have any more (if as much) grunt, but the venturi is small.

Bill <><
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Offline Ron King

• Commander
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2006, 06:49:02 AM »
I agree with Bill.

I have several St 46 engines and one Double Star 50. It is a direct swap, but the power is down a little. Of course that depends on the condition of your Tiger. Mine are getting pretty long in the tooth.  <=

Ron
Ron King
AMA AVP District 4
Wannabe Stunt Pilot since 1963
 Amateurs practice until they get it right; Pros practice until they cannot get it wrong.

Offline peabody

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2006, 07:02:39 AM »
Tom has a new DS .54
I'll be it's good.

Offline Bob Zambelli

• 21 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2006, 09:31:05 AM »
LA 46

Bob Z.

Offline Bob Zambelli

• 21 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2006, 09:36:11 AM »
On his Stiletto, Dan Banjock went from an ST .46 (very good) to a Double Star .51 (very disappointing) to an ENYA .46 4-stroke (phenomenal).

I mentioned the LA .46 because I have seen them haul some rather large airplanes with considerably authority.

Selling a used ST .46 on eBay will probably earn you enough to buy two LA .46s.

Also, the absolute best running LAs I've seen were completely stock.

Bob Z.

Offline Greg L Bahrman

• Captain
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2006, 09:36:34 AM »
Anyone know of a .50 or .60 that might be a sorta drop in replacement for the ST 46? (insert Tim Taylor grunt here)....

Might consider a ABC for your ST 46 from Brian.
bgardner@hatch.com.au
Greg Bahrman, AMA 312522
Simi Valley, Ca.

Offline Steve Fitton

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2006, 09:51:29 AM »
Bill Little is correct that the DS-50 is a drop in replacement for the ST-46.  In stock trim it might be down on power to the ST-46, albeit it will also use much less fuel.  I have found, as Bill will laughingly attest to, that if find your self down on power or the engine running hot, the DSs will respond well to a larger venturi.  I have a DS-40 on a Nobler that ran great, but had a tendency to go hot and slip into a two stroke during the square 8 and stay there.  Switching the original .275 venturi with a .314 supplied by Jim Svitko (who had already sorted out the same problem on his plane), I found that I could drop nitro back from 10% to 5%, have more power, still minimal windup even on a very windy day, and not have the slightest issue with the motor going over the hill hot.  4 oz of fuel gives me a 6:10 run at sea level, compared to 7:40 in stock trim.

One caveat is that, if you open the venturi up, open the exhaust as well.  This applies to pretty much all muffled motors, whether a DS, OS or Big Jim Greenaway ST.  On my DS, I (as suggested by Tom Dixon) drilled out all the holes on my tongue muffler to 1/8" diameter.

The DS-54 is most likely more powerful than the 50, and comes with a number of venturis when you get it, but I'm not sure the bolt pattern or dimensions match up with the ST-46.  Somebody else here probably has the info on that.

Steve

PS, Ron, we talked at length before about the DS/Nobler issues.  The venturi fixed it, Gorilla power with no overheat!!!! y1
Steve

Offline Ron King

• Commander
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2006, 10:20:12 AM »
PS, Ron, we talked at length before about the DS/Nobler issues.  The venturi fixed it, Gorilla power with no overheat!!!! y1

Steve,

I opened up my venturi and it worked fine. I didn't open it up as much as yours and haven't done enough test flying to be able to claim victory yet.  I'm glad you got yours sorted out.

Now I just have to start playing with glow motors a little more and stop trying to plug them into the battery charger.  **)

Thanks,

Ron

Ron King
AMA AVP District 4
 Amateurs practice until they get it right; Pros practice until they cannot get it wrong.

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2006, 01:50:35 PM »
One thing I have found with all the Double Star engines, in "STOCK TRIM" is that they are set up for FAI (no nitro) fuel, and they have itty bitty venturis for gas milage.  Open up the venturi, add a couple shims and go with 5% to !0% nitro and you will be surprised with the power and run they give.

I admit, I do not know anything about the "new" DS .54 or .40BB.

The .40 and .50 will be real decent stunt engines when they are allowed to breathe, and some nitro is used.  They will do the 4-2 excellently.

Bill <><
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

Trying to get by

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2006, 01:52:11 PM »
Another point......... even though the LA .46 is a nice engine for stunt use, I have not seen one as strong as the ST .46 or ST G.51.  They are good for what they are, but not comparable to a really good stunt engine.

Bill <><
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

Trying to get by

Online Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2006, 08:40:56 PM »
Another point......... even though the LA .46 is a nice engine for stunt use, I have not seen one as strong as the ST .46 or ST G.51.  They are good for what they are, but not comparable to a really good stunt engine.

That sure isn't consistent with my experience and/or observation.   A *35FP* is comparable in in-flight performance to a very good ST46. I know, I had one of the best ST46's on the West Coast, and I flew it back to back in the same airplane. It wasn't a blowout, but it was at least even.  The FP flew the airplane  better with props tailored to the engine (11-12"  -  4-5") but  it would even give the ST a run for the money using some of the smaller ST props (11-5.5/6 or so). This was back in the mid-late 80's.

The 46LA will swing the same props I used on the 35 (11.5-4.5 and 12-4.5 Rev-up) 1000 rpm faster if need be. I haven't done the LA  back to back with the ST46 but if A=B and C>B then  C>A.

If you are trying run 13-5/6 Rev-Ups, then, maybe you have a point, the ST will probably out-turn the LA at 7300 ground rpm, and the LA will run away (i.e. produce more power) in the air.  But try them with 12.25-3.75 APC and watch that ST46 melt down trying to get to 11000 rpm. It will do it but it won't be happy, and it will be absolutely dead in the air. It takes A LOT more ponies to spin a 12.25-3.75 at the speed it needs to go than it does to spin a 12-5.5 Rev-Up at the speed it needs (8300 or so).

In fairness, I *HAVE* seen some LA46's that wouldn't come close to the ST46, but these have been "reworked for stunt run", i.e. ruined, by overzealous aftermarket reworkers.

I liked the ST46, won lots of hardware with the ST46, and was one of the last of the holdouts with the ST46. But let's not get crazy with nostalgia!

I would agree with the topic on the ST51, at least the older versions, when modified (T&L, etc) and with a tongue muffler. It's stronger than the LA. A good one was about a match for the ST60.

Brett

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2006, 09:36:11 PM »
Hi Brett,

Thanks for your input.  Maybe I didn't use the right terminology when I included the ST .46.

As to your point on the ST G.51, my experiences with that one (maybe the engine I have really flown the most contest flights with) are all T&L .51s and I have not seen an LA .46 even come close to the same performance.

Back to the .46LA, like I said, IMHO, they are good for what they are.  I have flown a TEOSAWKI with the LA .46 and it flew fine.  Of course, a really good, juiced up, Fox .35 would probably fly a TEOSAWKI in most conditions.  it's a LARGE combat wing with an extended thin profile fuselage.  I was definitely NOT impressed with the power out put of the engine, and it was reported to be a good one.  Plus I didn't notice any real backing off on the down hill side at all.  I have noticed this on most of the LA 46 planes I have flown/seen fly.  I think I was really spoiled by actually having someone set up an engine for me that gave a real stunt run.  Randy does that pretty good if he's asked to with one of his PAs.

Your FP20 tune up impressed me more than the LA 46 or LA 40.  I know it will not fly as big an airplane, of course, but the run was much better.  Ask Steve Fitton if he liked the power delivery of a good LA .46 in his late Avanti 50.  A plane that should have been "just right" for this engine.

"Power" is probably not the right term for me to use in comparing the LA .46 to the ST .46, but I know I would rather have a good ST 46 than a stock LA 46 in the same plane.  Maybe I would be proved wrong.......... but I don't think so.  It's a moot point though, for me, since I would use a ST G51 in a contest plane any day over the LA .46. Simply no comparison.

Again, I think the LA engines are fine for what they are.

Bill <><
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

Trying to get by

Offline Steve Fitton

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #15 on: September 15, 2006, 11:20:01 PM »
I can comment a bit about the LA-46 stuff, but ST-46s are before my time and I have barely even seen any fly, except for Bill's that did indeed melt down when it tried to turn 11,000 (!) >:D

I would classify the LA as *pretty* good up to airplanes in the approx 50 ounce range, based on my experiences with them.  I ran my "good LA" for 250 flights in a 50 ounce Time machine 50 running the APC 12.25x3.75 cut down to 11.75", then later a Gator 10.75x3.75 three blade and Bolly 11x4 N three blade.  The engine was pretty good in that it "homed" on the RPM it like to run at (about 10350 ground launch) in the air and was pretty repeatable.  %5 Nitro in the winter and 10% in summer, no big deal.  I would characterize the overall performance of the plane as pretty good, and the plane scored three or four Advanced victories and a number of podium finishes.

This past summer when I put the same engine in the Avanti 50 (thicker wing, 600sq vs 580, 54 ounces ), I noticed I couldn't seem to prop it with anything that made it happy.  Virtually every prop I tried (APC 12.25x3.75, Bolly 11x4 3bld, Gator 10.75x3.75 3bld, APC 11x5, APC 11.5x4, Rev-up 12x5), and on fuel up to 15% nitro, launching at 11,400 RPM,  the engine seemed to "home" to the same (lower) RPM it liked to run on the other airplane,- which was not the direction I needed the power to go,  seemed to fade fractionally later in the tank, lacked vertical drive in the power maneuvers, had to be flown quick, 4.7 to 5.0 laps to have enough energy for stuff like the square 8, and had considerable windup in even a moderate breeze, and absolutely no braking on the backsides of maneuvers.  Adding pitch (like the 11x5 or 12x5), made it take off like a rocket every time a puff of wind got it, but seemed to give minimal help for the vertical punch or drive.  Maneuvers like the overhead 8 or clover could be a chore, and trimming the plane completely was difficult when chasing power.  The one thing I didn't do, and should have, was go much bigger on the venturi then the .285 already in it.  The plane was lost and the motor killed before I got around to it.
  The guys around here talk about flying 55-58 ounce airplanes on the ST-46; from my point of view, I wouldn't try that around here with an LA unless I put a big venturi on it and a pretty open exhaust system.  But even then, the lack of brake on the backsides would still be annoying.  If I had to do the project again, with an inexpensive motor, I would go the ST-51 route.  I've seen alot of those fly, and at least in these parts they seem to give a better stunt run, and can easily fly a bigger plane than the LA.  In stock format the LAs  run great on smaller, lighter planes, you see mobs of profile Cardinals, etc with the motors.  But my experience leads me to conclude 50+ ounces and thick wings might require some development to get the right kind of output you need....

Steve
Steve

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #16 on: September 16, 2006, 04:58:06 PM »
Hi Steve,

As I told you at Marietta, that was going to be the "last hurrah" for the Spacehound and ST 46.  The ring was already pretty shot,  The silkspan was shot, and those hard wheels made my ears hurt!    **)

But, I was hoping to get "just one more" out of the set up.  j1

I am hunting for a definition of what I am trying to say.  Maybe it is just that all the "stock" (and what appears to be more powerful) LA .46s are too regulated in their rpm out put.  A constant rpm is not what I have grown to understand what makes a good stunt run.  The LA 46 seems to run the same all the time.  I still believe we are trying to get constant air speed through manuevers, even some braking downhill, and not just a govenor that says I am going to run everywhere at 10,000 (or whatever) rpm.  That is the run I have seen from the LAs.  Just not an "intelligent" run. 

Granted, I have not seen all the LA 40s and 46s out there run, or in a whole lot of different areas of the country.  Only can say what "I" have witnessed and experienced.

Bill <><
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

Trying to get by

Offline EddyR

• Admiral
« Reply #17 on: September 16, 2006, 06:55:46 PM »
Bill the answer is very simple get the replacement ABC piston and liner for the ST/46.They need no break in and you can run them fast or slow. They use less fuel and start one flip. 4.5 ounces to do the pattern.They can be set up to produce more power than a stock motor if you need it. Brian in Australia sold me the first two he had.He sells a low compression head but you can run the stock head and get power like a ST/51 from it. Cost me $75 for a set.
Ed Ruane

Locust NC 40 miles from the Huntersville field

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #18 on: September 16, 2006, 10:53:26 PM »
Bill the answer is very simple get the replacement ABC piston and liner for the ST/46.They need no break in and you can run them fast or slow. They use less fuel and start one flip. 4.5 ounces to do the pattern.They can be set up to produce more power than a stock motor if you need it. Brian in Australia sold me the first two he had.He sells a low compression head but you can run the stock head and get power like a ST/51 from it. Cost me $75 for a set.
Ed Ruane

Hi Eddy,

Yes, I would like to get a set of the ABC piston/sleeve from Brian.  I would probably have already had one if I was planning on getting a LOT of use out of my ST 46s.  Right now, I do not have a ST 46 powered airframe.....
 :o :o

Bill <><
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

Trying to get by

Offline EddyR

• Admiral
« Reply #19 on: September 17, 2006, 04:27:36 AM »
Bill I didn't mean to address that to just you I should have said anyone needing a replacement for the old and worn out ST/46. A ST/.51 can be forced into ST/.46 holes but the shaft is 3/8 inch longer. The nice thing about the ABC version is the motor runs the same everyflight which the ringed version didn't. Also less vibration.
Ed
Locust NC 40 miles from the Huntersville field

Offline RandySmith

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
    • Aero Products
« Reply #20 on: September 17, 2006, 03:28:35 PM »

HI Bob

The  PA 40 ultra lite has the exact same  mount holes as  a  ST46, however it produces more power, is much smoother, and  much lighter, and is a little  longer at the shaft. also burns less  fuel when setup to produce the same  power.

Regards
Randy
« Last Edit: September 18, 2006, 11:46:12 AM by RandySmith »

Online Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #21 on: September 17, 2006, 04:58:02 PM »
Hi Brett,

Thanks for your input.  Maybe I didn't use the right terminology when I included the ST .46.

As to your point on the ST G.51, my experiences with that one (maybe the engine I have really flown the most contest flights with) are all T&L .51s and I have not seen an LA .46 even come close to the same performance.

Oh, definitely not. the St46 and the 51, particularly very  lightly modded ST51, are in two different time zones as far as performance goes. The LA doesn't come close, either.

My point of (mild) contention was the 46LA vs. ST46.  We could only dream of 46LA levels of performance and consistency back in those days. Not to say that its some great powerhouse, or, for that matter, a super-good stunt motor. But it is significantly more powerful than the average ST46 and more than a match for really good STs.

Your FP20 tune up impressed me more than the LA 46 or LA 40.  I know it will not fly as big an airplane, of course, but the run was much better.  Ask Steve Fitton if he liked the power delivery of a good LA .46 in his late Avanti 50.  A plane that should have been "just right" for this engine.

I don't know what an Avanti 50 is so I would hesitate to comment.

Of course, the 20FP has a much better run quality than the LA46. The run quality of the 20FP is just about as good as any other stunt motor currently available, at least for my money. Assuming the other stunt motor you are comparing it to is properly set up. The REAL beauty of the 20FP is there *is* nothing to set up, and anyone can get the same run even if they don't have the experience to  know what they want.

Brett

Offline Steve Fitton

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #22 on: September 17, 2006, 07:04:28 PM »

For what it was worth Avanti 50 is a 600-620 square inch version of Baron's Avanti with a much thicker, Greenaway style wing instead of the airfoil from the earlier, published version(s).  Weight nominally 54.5 oz.  Getting a good engine setup proved elusive, at least in stock trim.  Efforts were underway to figure out what the motor needed, but the program is on the shelf for now.  Avanti 50 is supposed to be a 10% scaled reduction of the Baron "Avanti 60", the 680 sq inch version Bob never built (with the Patternmaster wing).     The LA can and should manage this, but there are much better options...

Steve 

Steve

Offline Bob Reeves

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Somethin'Xtra Inc.
« Reply #23 on: September 18, 2006, 07:39:24 AM »
Good morning, have been in Memphis just now managed to get back to this thread..

First, I have a few ST 46's, two with Ausi Plasma P&L and three with fresh Bowman rings. Have found the Plasma version to be noticeably stronger than the ringed version but a little harder to tame.

The airplane in question is a Skylark 46 (614 sq in) that weighs 54 ounces. Either version of the ST 46 will fly it just fine, if I were content with a good "Classic" performance package I would stay with one of the plasma engines and just fly it.. Problem is I have experienced the difference between "Classic" and "Modern power and guess one could say I am spoiled. Almost wished I had built the smaller version of the Skylark paying special attention to keep the weight down but stayed with a ST 46 for power.

If I could cram a ST 51 in the nose of the Skylark I would do it in a heart beat but sadly it won't fit without extensive modifications which I don't care to do. I have an LA 46 but don't feel this would be any improvement over a plasma ST. The PA 40 might be an option... food for thought.

Thanks for the info gang, will probably just stay with a plasma St and plan the next classic ship around a modern power package.

Offline RC Storick

• Forum owner
  • Administrator
  • Admiral
  • The finish starts with the first piece of wood cut
    • Stunt Hangar
« Reply #24 on: September 18, 2006, 08:05:01 AM »
I will tell you this. I have a PA.40 UL in my Ares and it is just about too much power if there is such a thing. Sweet engine!
AMA 12366

Offline Bob Reeves

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Somethin'Xtra Inc.
« Reply #25 on: September 19, 2006, 03:52:23 AM »
Robert, what is the wing area and weight of your Ares?

Online Manuel Cortes

• Commander
« Reply #26 on: September 20, 2006, 01:30:35 AM »
I´m using one of the plain bearing Stalker 46 (I think is discontinued now) with excellent results, in my Brodak Cardinal.
It seems the same than ST46.

Offline Dennis Moritz

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #27 on: September 20, 2006, 05:30:20 AM »
I have seen LA46s and FP40s pull Cardinals, a Gieseke Nobler, P40s and other planes to winning and high place finishes at Brodak and local East Coast meets in Advanced PAMPA and Expert Profile. These engines, with a minimum set up, are powerful, reliable and repeatable. Practise, familiarization with the run characteristics of a given engine/plane combination, matter most. IMHO.

Offline Bob Reeves

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Somethin'Xtra Inc.
« Reply #28 on: September 20, 2006, 02:53:56 PM »
Agreed have seen some very good running LA's and FP's. I flew a Buccaneer with an LA 46 for a while and it was a great combination but the airplane only weighed 47 ounces with a 575 sq in wing. A good ST 46 would have done just as well. Long story but I haven't had the luck with FP 40's some have and ended up selling everyone I owned.

I am looking for a quantum leap not a baby step, I can get baby steps with nitro.

Offline RC Storick

• Forum owner
  • Administrator
  • Admiral
  • The finish starts with the first piece of wood cut
    • Stunt Hangar
« Reply #29 on: September 20, 2006, 07:47:10 PM »
Robert, what is the wing area and weight of your Ares?

I do not know the area? but it weighs 40 oz..
AMA 12366

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #30 on: September 20, 2006, 08:08:30 PM »

Hi Robert,

I think you would have loved to have flown Aaron's Ares.  All up weight was 36 oz. with a Magnum 36XL II.  10 inch (or so) 3 blade Bolly pitched to ~4.  5.3 to 5.4 on 62 eye to eye .015s and solid everywhere even in 20+ mph winds.

I hate it when I see a Werwage plane built heavy then the pilot complains that it won't fly!  DUH!!!!!!!

Bill <><
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

Trying to get by

Offline Bob Reeves

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Somethin'Xtra Inc.
« Reply #31 on: September 21, 2006, 03:55:28 AM »

If I remember the Ares isn't much larger than a Nobler with a fairly thin airfoil.. Different ball game compaired to a 50+ ounce Skylark 46. Looking like the only choice I might have is the Double Star or just stick with a plasma ST 46 and pump up the nitro..

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #32 on: September 21, 2006, 06:18:45 PM »
If I remember the Ares isn't much larger than a Nobler with a fairly thin airfoil.. Different ball game compaired to a 50+ ounce Skylark 46. Looking like the only choice I might have is the Double Star or just stick with a plasma ST 46 and pump up the nitro..

Hi Bob,

If you cannot, under any circumstances, get an ST 51 into that Skylark, then go with either of the two you quoted. 

The DS 50 has the *potential* of being the stronger of the two, but you will need a non stock venturi much bigger than the stock one, and a couple head shims to cure the overcompression.  The dude in slovakia sets up the DS for FAI fuel, at least he did until the very latest ones. (BB40, 54, etc..)  Tom Dixon might not *admit* to it, but they DO run much stronger, and just as friendly when set up that way.  Caveat:  they take more fuel than stock ones.

Bill <><
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

Trying to get by

Offline Bob Reeves

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Somethin'Xtra Inc.
« Reply #33 on: September 23, 2006, 09:49:39 AM »
Tom Martin from our club loaned me a new ST 51 so I could do a little look see.. It will go but is going to require a little grinding.

Front mount holes to prop drive washer are the same, looks like if I use a sprinkler venturi the needle will be fairly close and the exhaust stack looks to fall withen reason. Bottom of the case is wider even though the mounting holes are the same width. Will have to drill another set of mounting holes in the engine lugs for the rear bolts, stock holes are too far back. 51 is almost exactly 2 ounces heaver than a 46, can save about 3/4 ounce by changing the muffler and don't feel the extra nose weight will be a problem.

Will need to grind a little off the inside of the motor mounts and aluminum pads so the case will drop in. I built the crutch with cross pieces of MM stock and one is too close to the rear, in order for the engine to fit I will need to cut back into the cross piece about 1/4 inch, although I don't feel this will be a big problem. Of course I will have to cut the head opening in the cowl large enough for that big ugly square head but again, don't think that will be a big problem.

Now all I have to do is conger up the nerve to start cutting on the airplane %^ Good thing is other than the cowl I won't have to do any refinishing on the outside.

Offline Bill Hummel

• 22 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #34 on: September 23, 2006, 10:39:05 AM »
Hi, Bob, I'm using a new DS 54 in a 64 oz Buso stunter, the Heatwave.  Very nice power, very friendly. Runs like the BEST ST46 I've ever used. Using the middle size venturi, about .285 I believe. Stock can muffler, very good "sound".  Powermaster regular (18%) oil, 10% nitro, 12/5 prop. Never been a Double Star fan, but this one, and another in the club, is very impressive!  This coming from a ST dinosaur...
ama 72090

Offline Bob Reeves

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Somethin'Xtra Inc.
« Reply #35 on: September 23, 2006, 11:45:40 AM »
Hi Bill,

Was hoping someone with DS 54 experience would jump in. What was it they use to say "no substitute for cubic inches" or something along those lines..

Problem is I have to go with my gut and it's telling me no one has ever raved about the Double Stars ability to produce power, unlike Randy's 40 or ST 51's flying airplanes that have been flown with Good ST 60's.

Not trying to be controversial just trying to show where I'm comming from... I have several GOOD ST 46's so someone saying this or that engine is a tad better than a good ST 46 doesn't excite me a whole lot. I have seen first hand a ST 51 in a 70 ounce Magnum and it wasn't having any trouble, thinking a ST 51 in a 56 ounce airplane should be a killer.. I hope...

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #36 on: September 23, 2006, 05:41:26 PM »
Like I said in the "set up" post, the SV-11 was 64 oz., and it was no problem for the ST 51.  A 56 oz Skylark will be a piece of cake.

Bill <><
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

Trying to get by

Offline Ron King

• Commander
« Reply #37 on: September 24, 2006, 08:15:26 AM »

Problem is I have to go with my gut and it's telling me no one has ever raved about the Double Stars ability to produce power, unlike Randy's 40 or ST 51's flying airplanes that have been flown with Good ST 60's.

Bob,

Ouch, that hurts. I consider the Double Stars to be incredible workhorses - when set up properly.

You can set up the 54 so it has a "tad" more power than the ST 46, or you can use another of the FIVE venturis they give you to dial up the grunt close to any older 60. There is an awful lot of "wiggle" room available with any of the DS engines.

Steve Fitton and I had some overheating issues with the DS 40 stuffed into tight Nobler cowls. This was corrected by opening the venturi (and the muffler) and letting the engine breathe better.

My DS 50 was also choked down too much with the stock venturi and I had to open it up.

The DS 54 has cured the stock problem with a multitude of venturis and plenty of head shims. This should allow anyone to dial the engine to their liking.

It's been mentioned on this thread several times, but bears repeating: the Double Stars are made to run with FAI fuel. In order for them to perform properly with our "standard" U.S. nitro fuel, we have to lower the compression and open up the air passages. The engine's combustion timing is fine for CLPA.

The DS 54 is just slightly larger than the LA 46. It's drilled the same as the ST 46, but is 1/8" longer and the cylinder is slightly larger.

I've seen Randy's reworked ST 51 run and consider the DS 54 to be just as good. I just haven't had the time to build that Shark 45 I was planning to fly it in. Maybe this winter.  <=

Take care,

Ron
Ron King
AMA AVP District 4

Offline Bob Reeves

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Somethin'Xtra Inc.
« Reply #38 on: September 24, 2006, 10:37:33 AM »
Hi Ron,

Sorry about the arrow to your Double Star heart, I have never ran a Double Star so I shouldn't really be talking but my perseption from talking to several that have is what it is.. I am sure they are good engines but let me throw out a couple thoughts..

The Double Star 40 costs $150.00 (without muffler) and you have to diddle with it in order to get it to fly a Nobler.. Brodak 40 costs $99.00, you bolt it in and go win Advanced. One of our club members did just that.

The Double Star 50/54's are what  $200.00 or better, you can buy two ST 51's for what one DS costs. Am sure the Double Star is a better motor but a ST 51 with a $9.00 Bowman ring is a pretty darn good power package.

I am not really trying to start anything and am more than open to listen to other opinions contrary to the above. Have commited to stuffing a ST 51 in the skylark so I am beyond hope  n~

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #39 on: September 24, 2006, 11:05:03 AM »
Hi Bob,

I have been fortunate enough to find good USED engines a lot of times.  2 DS 40s are in particular.  With a good venturi and the correct head shims the DS 40 becomes a great 40 size Classic stunt engine. 

As to the ST 51, Super Tigre has always made high quality engines, and even though they are currently assembled in China, they are still great.  IMHO, I would rather have a T&L St 51 or an Aero Products ST 51 than any other engine in that category, and I have seen the "great" set ups run at our meets. 

Of course, none will touch a PA 51, but it's a whole different animal!

Bill <><
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

Trying to get by

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here