News:

• May 14, 2024, 04:28:39 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Special tool to cut head shims  (Read 965 times)

Offline Allan Perret

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
  • Proverbs
Special tool to cut head shims
« on: April 27, 2009, 03:41:34 PM »
Anbody out there making one for sale,  or ever seen plans to make one ?
Allan Perret
AMA 302406
Slidell, Louisiana

Offline Jim Thomerson

• Admiral
Re: Special tool to cut head shims
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2009, 04:19:28 PM »
Lee Machine Shop.  Address in this forum.

Offline Bill Heher

• Fix-it
  • 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
  • I may not always BOM- but I do the re-builds!
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2009, 02:03:03 AM »
A decent quality compass or divider with a slotted leg that will hold a #11 X-acto blade works pretty good. Cut the inner diameter first and then the outer - the extra material around the outside helps hold the shim stock in place.
Bill Heher
Central Florida and across the USA!
If it's broke Fix-it
If it ain't broke- let me see it for a minute AMA 264898- since 1988!

Offline charlie

• Lieutenant
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2009, 02:37:50 AM »
I made a simple cutter from scraps of mild steel.  For cutting just a few shims there is no need to harden the steel.  You do need a lathe to make these cutters, and some means of squeezing them together.  I use a hydraulic press for that, but a decent vice will do the job as well.  The tool is made in 3 parts, the first is turned with a raised section that is the required size of the shim.  In the centre of this a hole is drilled to match the spigot on the second part.  The spigot on the second part should be a sliding fit in the hole and the diameter above that should be a neat fit into the depressed section of part 1.  To use this you need to cut a hole in your shim material (aluminium or brass) large enough to accept the spigot on part 2 (It doesn’t have to be too neat as this bit will be discarded).  With the shim material placed over part 1 and the spigot of part 2 through the hole in the shim, pressing down on part 2 will cut out the centre disc of the shim.  Then part 3 comes into use.  This has a central hole that is a sliding fit on part 2 and a relieved section that is the same diameter as the OD of the finished shim.  It is slid over part 2 and pressed down until it shears the shim material and passes down over the outside of part1.  After separating the 3 pieces, the finished shim washer can be put to one side and the scrap centre bit
discarded.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2009, 02:55:54 AM by charlie »
Charlie Stone  (The West Australian one)

Offline James C. Johnson

• 24 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2009, 01:02:45 PM »

I use scissors to cut the outside and a compass with an xacto fitted to do the inside.. ... one blade per gasket... practice .. my first ones were not that great.. also don't cut them exact HB~> HB~>.. allow a little so they slip into place easier. Also, a taller the compass works better than a one of those "school compasses".. 

Jim

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2009, 12:01:05 PM »
I used to do that with E-acto blades and scissors.  "Lee Machine Shop" only way to go.  A little expensive, but, worth every penny.  DOC Holliday
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here