News:

• May 01, 2024, 04:10:22 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Speaking Of Four Strokes...  (Read 1577 times)

Offline Dick Fowler

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain
Speaking Of Four Strokes...
« on: July 31, 2006, 11:02:46 AM »

It seems that the Saito .40 is no longer being sold here in the US. I can't find anyone who lists them on their websites. Are they gone or am I not looking in the right place?
Dick Fowler AMA 144077
Kent, OH
Akron Circle Burners Inc. (Note!)
North Coast Control Liners Size 12 shoe  XXL Supporter

Offline Bob Zambelli

• 21 supporter
  • Captain
Re: Speaking Of Four Strokes...
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2006, 11:40:24 AM »

Dick - I have been told by quite a few people that they will no longer be imported. Not sure if they're actually discontinued from production or just not coming here.

I would suggest asking Horizon Hobbies - as far as I know, they still import SAITO.

Bob Z.

Offline Mike Wada

• ACE
  • Ensign
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2006, 11:46:09 AM »
Aloha Dick,

The Saito 40A is no longer imported into the USA, it is however, still manufactured in Japan.  I have recently seen a few on Ebay for sale by individual owners and on-line hobby stores.  If you are unable get them that way, perhaps Kaz Minato in Japan can get one for you?  

Best regards,  Mike Wada
Mike Wada
AMA 512393

Online Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2006, 01:06:51 PM »

The Saito 40A is no longer imported into the USA

My God, Dirty Dan strikes again!

Brett

Offline Ron Merrill

• 2013 Supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2006, 01:23:27 PM »
Two weeks ago Debbies Hobbies on EBAY had one j1 Ron.

Offline Dick Fowler

• Captain
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2006, 03:02:45 PM »
Thanks guys, I have one and thought a backup might be in order. This would lead me to another question.

How does the Surpass .40 compare to the Saito .40 ? In fact, how do all the other .40 size FS engines compare in general. I've only owned the Saito engines and they are well made and well behaved.
Dick Fowler AMA 144077
Kent, OH

Alan Hahn

« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2006, 07:14:37 PM »
I have both, but haven't run the OS 40 Surpass in a while (since I replaced the bearings). The OS is quite a bit heavier than the Saito, which is the only thing I can say any certainty.

Offline Bob Zambelli

• 21 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2006, 06:14:38 AM »
There are/have been quite a few 4 stroke .40s made in the last 25 or so years. Here is an approximate chronological order:

The earliest that I know of is the ENYA .40 open rocker - quite powerful but heavy. Equivalent to an FP .40 but much heavier.

Then they made a closed rocker version - rare, as it was imported in very small numbers - I have no experience with it.

Original SAITO .40 - about the same size as the .50 - a nice smooth engine but power-to-weight leaves something to be desired. Makes about the power of a good Fox .35 at twice the weight!

OS non-surpass .40: a wonderful, user friendly smooth, powerful and economical engine. If you enjoy sport and occasional competition flying, this may be the only engine you'll ever need. Put one on a profile Cardinal and you might just realize the perfect engine/plane combination for just about everything. The engine is so well set up and balanced that it will probably never wear out. Perfect fuel draw, no muffler needed, 11-7 prop, two ounces of fuel for the pattern. I have NEVER had an engine that runs more uniformly. They usually go for peanuts at flea markets. I would estimate that it makes the power of an FP .40.
(I can't remember the details but a while back I sold one to a gent in St. Louis - as I recall, he was told by a self-declared expert that he bought the wrong engine. I hope he reads this and realizes that he has a real gem of an engine.)

Surpass .40 - unbelievable power.  Nasty, as it hates props and lets you know by constantly throwing them at you - I make special prop washers for this beast and they do the job. I have one on my 59 ounce Euclid II and it about pulls my arm off. Fortunately, an extra head gasket tames it nicely. One of the more thirsty 4 stroke engines. Some of the early ones suffered from improperly hardened exhaust valve which are fortunately very easy to replace. Probably makes the power of an  ST .46.

SAITO .40A - a real sweetheart of an engine that has actually replaced some piped .40s with great results. A tad bigger than the .30.
Regarding weight, I'm not positive but I believe it's close to that of the Surpass .40. I will check as soon as possible. Powerwise, it approaches that of the Surpass .40 but not quite up to it.

This is all based on my experience - I hope it helps.

Bob Z.

Offline Dick Fowler

• Captain
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2006, 07:15:03 AM »
Thanks Alan and  Bob. Bob I remember flying (or rather trying to fly) your Max powered Cardinal. I recall the handle was not quite right for me but the thing absolutely pulled the Cardinal like a tractor and ran perfectly.
Dick Fowler AMA 144077
Kent, OH

Offline Leester

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2006, 12:46:31 PM »
Bob: I recently picked up a NIB FA-45 have you had any experience with these? I would like to use it but what size plane would be good?  Thanks
Leester
ama 830538

Offline Bob Zambelli

• 21 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2006, 01:24:09 PM »
Hi, Leester - I think the FA-45  resulted when the .40 didn't quite have the required power output, so SAITO bored it out  (I surmised this - I may be wrong).
However, I flew mine on a large profile and it worked very well - much better than the FA-40. It's a tad heavy but on something like an ARF Cardinal, you'll find it most enjoyable. Plan to shorten the nose a bit.
Like most of the SAITO engines of that era, it is very smooth, economical and user-friendly.

Hope this helps.

Bob Z.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here