News:

• April 30, 2024, 11:19:43 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Sealing NVA  (Read 3907 times)

Offline Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Sealing NVA
« on: July 15, 2013, 10:06:04 PM »
Guys,
I'm getting ready to install a new PA NVA and want to seal it against the crankcase. In the past I have used high temperature silicon but was wondering if there is a better material to use to seal this. Any suggestions?

Best,         DennisT

Offline John Craig

• Commander
Re: Sealing NVA
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2013, 07:14:55 AM »
In the past, I have made little paper gaskets or used small nylon washers.  I now use a small amount of High Temp Silicon gasket cement.  Works well, simple & easy.  Even that maybe a bit of over kill.

Online Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2013, 11:51:06 AM »
In the past, I have made little paper gaskets or used small nylon washers.  I now use a small amount of High Temp Silicon gasket cement.  Works well, simple & easy.  Even that maybe a bit of over kill.

Numerous notables have said it makes no difference, but I think they are very definitely wrong. I can tell who did it and who didn't sitting 200 feet away.

But, be VERY CAREFUL to make sure the silicone goes where it belongs.

Brett

Offline Phil Bare

• Captain
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2013, 05:27:58 PM »
   Numerous notables have said it makes no difference, but I think they are very definitely wrong. I can tell who did it and who didn't sitting 200 feet away.

But, be VERY CAREFUL to make sure the silicone goes where it belongs.

Brett

Brett, I am very curious to know how you can tell if and NVA has been sealed or not sealed from 200 feet away. I am intrigued to say the least.

Regards, Phil

Online Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2013, 09:17:33 PM »
Brett, I am very curious to know how you can tell if and NVA has been sealed or not sealed from 200 feet away. I am intrigued to say the least.

When it's sitting there running on the ground before launch, the engine will usually surge up and down in rpm. This includes some of the people who swear up and down that it doesn't matter.  The sealed ones are dead steady like an electric motor.  Oddly, it doesn't seem to make nearly as much difference in the air as it does on the ground.

Brett

Offline Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2013, 09:31:43 PM »
I agree that it makes a difference. A small air leak will change the mixture as the case changes temperature (particularly in the verticals and overheads when the motor starts to work and create more heat).

I found some Permatex high temperature silicon (Ultra Black) in a small tube at Discount Auto. My PA Fox style NVA came in yesterday and I installed it today. It indicated that it cures in 24 hours.

Best,       Dennis

Online Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2013, 10:22:29 PM »
I agree that it makes a difference. A small air leak will change the mixture as the case changes temperature (particularly in the verticals and overheads when the motor starts to work and create more heat).

I found some Permatex high temperature silicon (Ultra Black) in a small tube at Discount Auto. My PA Fox style NVA came in yesterday and I installed it today. It indicated that it cures in 24 hours.

You certainly don't need the high-temp stuff. Regular old Silicone II bathub sealant works fine even on the exhaust header, for sure no problem with the spraybar. The only advantage to the high-temp stuff is that it is opaque so you can see that it only when where it was supposed to. Get it in the wrong place (like in the spraybar or in the manifold of the venturi) and you can have very difficult-to-diagnose problems. That's really the only downside.

Brett

Offline Phil Bare

• Captain
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2013, 03:09:30 AM »
   When it's sitting there running on the ground before launch, the engine will usually surge up and down in rpm. This includes some of the people who swear up and down that it doesn't matter.  The sealed ones are dead steady like an electric motor.  Oddly, it doesn't seem to make nearly as much difference in the air as it does on the ground.

Brett

Brett, what would cause an engine to surge?  It would seem to me that the total airflow through the venturie  would have to change in relation to the needle setting in order for the engine to surge.
If the needle is set with a very small air leak around the spray bar as would be the case with an unseal spray bar, I don't see how the total airflow through the venturie would change unless the spray bar retaining nut is so loose that the spray bar could rattle around in the venturie.
Since the expansion rate of aluminum is greater than the expansion rate of the common spray bar materials, wouldn't the tendency be that the tightened unsealed spray bar would get even tighter?

Regards, Phil

Online Lauri Malila

• Admiral
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2013, 04:24:56 AM »
 Hi

The thermal expansion coefficient of the usual cast aluminium alloys and brass is so close to each other that it makes no difference. And if they were bigger, the dimensions are so small that it's nothing to worry about. The leaks come from imperfect threads and non-flat (cast) mating surfaces.
 Silicone works well but you have to be very carefull if you have to remove the silicone-sealed valve from the engine; those tiny bits of hardened silicone usually end up to weirdest places and can cause all kinds of harm.
 Also, if you have silicone between the mating surfaces, you may have to tighten the nut more to prevent the valve from turning when the needle is turned. In some engines, like Retro's, over-tightening can deform the front of crankcase and causes loss of freedom in shaft/bearing assembly.
 I make all myself with very good fits, and have lately replaced the silicone with weak gap-filling Loctite thread lock stuff (#222 if I remember right)

Lauri

Offline Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2013, 05:56:28 AM »
The differential thermal expansion can occur because the spraybar has liquid fuel for coolant. The case only has air cooling and if you are cowled or have a spinner the amount of cooling air that flows over the case can be very little.  Then as the fuel is ingested into the lower part of the venturi you get almost a flash cooling so the case can move all over depending on the fuel flow and cooling airflow around it. Sealing is simple.

Which way do you guys point the spraybar hole for open uniflow system? I've gone with back or straight down.

Best,      DennisT

Online Lauri Malila

• Admiral
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2013, 07:13:00 AM »
Dennis,

You must be joking:)
We are talking about a piece 20mm long/wide. Stretch/deformation is propably 10 or 100 times more than the difference in thermal expansion.
Somebody could come up with a fancy calculation about this s**t, that would be cool. L

Offline Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2013, 07:50:44 AM »
Lauri,
Small leaks can drive you crazy, if you are running a 4-2-4 style run much less if you are running a 2-2-2.

If the thermal expansion doesn't get you drops of oil covering and uncovering the leak will, particularly if the engine has not been run in a some time. Oil can cover the leak then as it warms up or is hit by fuel it is all or part removed or altered which can impact the needle setting and motor run. This is similar to leaks around the needle threads, many bad running stunt engines have been tamed by tightening the collar or slipping a piece of fuel tubing over the needle threads.

Fortunately, you don't have to believe any of this, simply go out and out fly everyone.

Best,        DennisT

Online Lauri Malila

• Admiral
« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2013, 09:13:11 AM »
Dennis,

Sorry for a nosy comment, I didn't mean to be unpolite.
I must say that when playing with our engine, I have gone quite far (much further than necessary:) in eliminating the problems that we have been discussing. That has been absolutely crucial, because the engine is still at development stage. All uncertainties have to be eliminated, otherwise it's not possible to analyse the effects of differend modifications of the process.
I'd say that it's especially important with our engine because it's big, powerfull, very light and cool-running. That's a combination that kind of magnifies the effects of all variables (and mistakes) in the process.
If nothing else, it has given me an excellent possibility to xperiment with variables that would be more difficult to notice with an engine with better thermodynamic stability. I mean things like venturi types, scavenging, plugs, combustion chamber shape etc.
Based on that experience I can say that tinkering with thermal expansion of case vs. needle valve sounds like homeopathy:). However, as you mentioned about fuel temperature; when I replaced the dural backplate (rear intake engine) /venturi assy with a composite (Tufnol) one, I found a clear increase in stability. I think that's because of more stabile fuel temperature.

Cheers, Lauri

Online Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2013, 10:14:42 PM »
Brett, what would cause an engine to surge?  It would seem to me that the total airflow through the venturie  would have to change in relation to the needle setting in order for the engine to surge.
If the needle is set with a very small air leak around the spray bar as would be the case with an unseal spray bar, I don't see how the total airflow through the venturie would change unless the spray bar retaining nut is so loose that the spray bar could rattle around in the venturie.

I expect to get blasted again shortly, but it's a good question.

We are almost certain that it is air leaking into the spraybar pass-through. It's more complicated than you suggest above. The air doesn't leak straight into the venturi (that actually makes almost no difference on "straight-through" venturis). In the sprinkler arrangement, it's prone to two additional issues - one, fuel doesn't necessarily go from the spraybar to the venturi/spigot. It can also leak around the pass-through, down between the case and the venturi, and then dribble into the port as raw drops. This was a very serious issue on the ST46, but not nearly as serious on the PA/RO-Jett.

It does pay to choose the venturis that have the best fit in the fore/aft direction (and both the PA and RO-Jett venturis vary significanly from unit to unit, some are loose overall, some are tight overall, some are tight in one direction (like fore and aft) but loose in the other (side to side). On the PA the spraybar holds the venturi in at the rear, and it wants to spring up in the front from the tension of the o-ring you are compressing, which also tilts it so there is a gap right below the spraybar where this fuel leak from the spraybar to the crabkshaft through the boss on the case can occur. The RO-Jett is also held by the spraybar but there's little tension on it because instead of being compressed buy the insertion force, the o-ring goes into the bore in the boss. This is offset somewhat by the fact that boss is a little shorter and the spraybar diameter is larger, meaning the seal area is shorter along the bore.

But the issue appears to be *tiny* amounts of air getting around the spraybar (threads on one end and "head" on the other). The spraybars are different, the RO-Jett has the nut on the collet side, and the PA has the nut on the inlet side, but I don't think that makes any difference. On the Jett BSE this is a machined surface, on the PA its bead-blasted where the spraybar contacts the case. At least to start with, after a few remove/replace cycles it's worn shiny, too. What we think is happening is that air gets in this way (which is under suction when running) and mixes with the fuel just like a pinhole leak in the line. This then displaces some of the fuel and makes it go slightly lean, then clears up (since the flow rate is miniscule). I also think it's a bigger issue on the PA (which is where David first noticed it) because the fuel inlet on a stock PA spraybar is extremely small so any there is significant restriction on the fuel flow. The Jett is much larger, and counter-boring the inlet on the PA makes a huge difference with the 61 and 75. Don't drill it all the way through, because that will also remove the needle seat!  Guess how we found that out....

We have found all sorts of interesting things on the venturi/spraybar/fuel flow/flow restriction side of the system, and almost the only fiddling we have done in the past 5-10 years is in this area with sometimes very surprising results. Merely being able to open the needle far enough to get the desired setting is not the only criteria, reducing the restrictions seems to change a lot of things that you didn't even realize were happening until you fixed it.  

We started looking at this after the 2002 NATs and to give credit where credit is due Brad Walker and his good advice on fuel tanks and other fuel discussion for 4-strokes were the precipitating factor. I think Brad would hasten to point out that he got it from RC guys, Brian Eather, and Bill Wilson. We were never going to run a 4-stroke but physics is physics.

Brett
« Last Edit: July 19, 2013, 12:13:35 AM by Brett Buck »

Offline Phil Bare

• Captain
« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2013, 10:09:21 AM »
Brett, it is just common sense to under stand that a leak that introduces air into the incoming fuel stream as would be the case with a 'sprinkler' type arrangement would cause erratic running just as bubbles in the fuel line will cause erratic running. No one disputes that.
It seems to me that the OP was talking about a conventional venturie and spray bar arrangement as would be found on a Fox .35 S and that is the arrangement that I was referring to.
My contention is that air leaks around the spray bar make no difference because the needle is adjusted to the total air flow through the venturie.
An unsealed conventional spray bar would have such a small leak as to be insignificant in terms of total air flow through the venturis as to be meaningless anyway.
Many, many thousands of engines have been manufactured over the years with 'unsealed' spray bars, some of them, many times over national winners.
I think that you could take any engine with a conventional spray bar and drill a 1/16 hole in the venturie directly under the spray bar and have no ill affects other than making choking difficult.
Again, the needle is set to what ever the total air flow through the venture demands and that's all that makes any difference.

Regards, Phil

Online Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #15 on: July 19, 2013, 12:36:51 PM »
Brett, it is just common sense to under stand that a leak that introduces air into the incoming fuel stream as would be the case with a 'sprinkler' type arrangement would cause erratic running just as bubbles in the fuel line will cause erratic running. No one disputes that.
It seems to me that the OP was talking about a conventional venturie and spray bar arrangement as would be found on a Fox .35 S and that is the arrangement that I was referring to.
My contention is that air leaks around the spray bar make no difference because the needle is adjusted to the total air flow through the venturie.
An unsealed conventional spray bar would have such a small leak as to be insignificant in terms of total air flow through the venturis as to be meaningless anyway.
Many, many thousands of engines have been manufactured over the years with 'unsealed' spray bars, some of them, many times over national winners.

He said he was installing a PA needle, one might presume that is in a PA. Actually I agree with you on a "through the middle" venturi, it doesn't make much difference. Sealing it makes a big difference on a conventional sprinkler setup which is by far the most common in current stunt engines. The only currently competitive engine that is "through the middle" that I know of is the 40/46VF, and it doesn't make any noticeable difference there. ST46's and 60's were sprinklers, too, that takes us back to the 70's. And in fact I was sealing those up, too, in several places. although I can't claim to have noticed or realized that it would cause surges.

Quoting people who won stunt contests is not that impressive, I have won a few myself and the guy who discovered the value of it has won a few as well. I know plenty of people who don't agree, they are easily identified at the field, so I offer my experience for what it is worth. Several people will shortly tell you we don't know what we are talking about and it never happened to them, so you will get both sides of the story.

You asked how I could tell, this was the answer.

Brett

Online Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #16 on: July 19, 2013, 12:42:06 PM »
The leaked air is not going by the outlet hole in the spraybar, but directly into the crankcase.

It might be doing that sometimes, but that is not the cause of the surging I was referring to. I know that because before the spraybar, I was sealing the "tenon" of the venturi into the bore so no fuel could go from the spraybar, down around the side of the venturi, and into the engine. Just like the ST venturi with an O-ring I showed in the spigot venturi thread on SSW, except with silicone. That made surprisingly little difference in anything as long as the venturi fit was tight. Only when David tried sealing the spraybar to the case did it go away.

I would have to think about it for a while, but its not immediately clear to me that the pressure at the bottom is lower than the pressure at the spigot - in which case the fuel or air doesn't want to go into the case, it wants to go through the venturi.

Brett

Offline Phil Bare

• Captain
« Reply #17 on: July 19, 2013, 01:35:58 PM »
Brett, you are correct in that I was thinking ; PA needle installed in a Fox; type situation

I have several engines with the sprinkler tupe fuel delivery system and agree with you on that system.

On the conventional spray bar set up, it makes absolutely no difference if it is sealed o not.

Regards, Phil

Online Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #18 on: July 19, 2013, 04:19:08 PM »
Brett, you are correct in that I was thinking ; PA needle installed in a Fox; type situation

I have several engines with the sprinkler tupe fuel delivery system and agree with you on that system.

On the conventional spray bar set up, it makes absolutely no difference if it is sealed o not.

BTW, there are non-standard "through the middle" spraybars where it does matter. OS makes a spraybar with what amounts to a right-angle fitting on the end. This is a separate piece that is held on the end of an otherwise conventional spraybar with a crown nut. Fuel enters the right-angle fitting, goes into a annular manifold then into a hole in the side of the spraybar, then out to the middle of the venturi just like a FOX or McCoy. That's all swell, but the right-angle fitting just goes around the end of the spraybar and that is threaded, so there is some clearance and the "open" side of the manifold is up against the side of the case. So fuel can leak from the manifold, in through the hole in the case around the spraybar, and then dribble down between the boss on the case and the venturi, or through the hole in the venturi, and then dribble down the side of the venturi into the engine. Note that this is on the "inlet side" so it's on the unmetered side. I have seen them leak sufficiently that you could close the needle completely and it would still get enough leakage to keep running, and keep running to rich to fly! That's just a bad design, but if you see someone having problems with one of these engines (I think it may have only been the 40/46SF -S), worth keeping that failure mode in mind.

Brett

Offline Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #19 on: July 20, 2013, 08:50:23 PM »
Brett,
You indicated that you drilled out the PA NVA to reduce the inlet drop. What # drill did you use and how far in did you drill?

Best,          DennisT

Online Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #20 on: July 20, 2013, 10:34:36 PM »
Brett,
You indicated that you drilled out the PA NVA to reduce the inlet drop. What # drill did you use and how far in did you drill?

I didn't actually do it, David did. I think he figured out how deep the seat was from the needle side by sticking something in the hole and then drilled through maybe 1/16" short of that. DO NOT drill all the way through, there will then be no seat.

I don't know the diameter, we were trying to match the RO-Jett spraybar.

Brett

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #21 on: July 21, 2013, 07:51:55 AM »
  BTW, there are non-standard "through the middle" spraybars where it does matter. OS makes a spraybar with what amounts to a right-angle fitting on the end. This is a separate piece that is held on the end of an otherwise conventional spraybar with a crown nut. Fuel enters the right-angle fitting, goes into a annular manifold then into a hole in the side of the spraybar, then out to the middle of the venturi just like a FOX or McCoy. (snip)    Brett

Around here that NVA was referred to as a banjo fitting.  I used a sharp toothpick to spread silicone sealer lightly around the edge.  Seemed to work fine, just hope you didn't have to remove it during a meet.  The silicone would have to be given time to set up again.

BIG Bear
RNMM/AMM
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Offline Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #22 on: July 22, 2013, 01:08:09 PM »
Brett,
I checked the PA NVA and the seat is very close to the fuel inlet end, around 5/32" in then it opens up to the NV diameter (about 0.057"). Seems you could go in about 1/8" with a #55 drill but I'm not sure it there is much to gain.

Best,        DennisT

Offline bob whitney

• Admiral
« Reply #23 on: July 22, 2013, 02:04:44 PM »
Dennis ,never got your muff's done, mill is still down but i have a bunch of aluminum washers that i made up  send me your address ind i will send u some   

two years ago Burt and i did some test at the VSC  with needle valves and spray bars and it did make a diff with the washers. i tried fiber but they get loose with time . we also found the the S/T type with the slits also can leak  .i file the end of the sprybar flat and put a piece of delron in the collet and and no leak  also need to be carefull as there is two diff size needles, if u put the thinner one in the bigger spraybar it will drive u crazy
rad racer

Offline RandySmith

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
    • Aero Products
« Reply #24 on: July 23, 2013, 03:03:22 PM »
Use  CAUTION drilling the spraybars, you can ruin them quickly, I also went thru that exercise many years back and did not find anything useful, my results were opposite of Dave's, They did not improve anything in my motors, The standard PA NVA will feed all the fuel a 75 can use, and you can flood it out by opening the needle, It also feeds the 85 and 88, I used a 91 and I have a 105 that the standard NVA will feed enough fuel to work perfectly, opening the hole size did nothing at all in my test.

Also about the having to seal the bar, That is not normally the case, It does not hurt anything to seal the sides of the seat at the case, but I have never done that except for once, I have had zero problems with any air leaks .
This is what I have found out is more times the problem, people remove the NVA and venturie, They put them back and either press the venturie too hard or not hard enough, this results in a misalignment of the hole for the bar and the slot in the venturiie, they slice off a tiny piece of venturie with the threads of the bar, or a piece of aluminum, that gets into the threads of the spraybar, this is pushed against the sides of the case when the nut is installed and tightened. This tiny debis is what causes the airleak on the sides of the case seal. To guard against this, use a tiny stiff brush to clean the threads, or a stiff toothbrush. I see this and fix it for people all the time.

Randy

Offline RandySmith

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
    • Aero Products
« Reply #25 on: July 23, 2013, 03:10:21 PM »
Use  CAUTION drilling the spraybars, you can ruin them quickly, I also went thru that exercise many years back and did not find anything useful, my results were opposite of Dave's, They did not improve anything in my motors, The standard PA NVA will feed all the fuel a 75 can use, and you can flood it out by opening the needle, It also feeds the 85 and 88, I used a 91 and I have a 105 that the standard NVA will feed enough fuel to work perfectly, opening the hole size did nothing at all in my test.

Also about the having to seal the bar, That is not normally the case, It does not hurt anything to seal the sides of the seat at the case, but I have never done that except for once, I have had zero problems with any air leaks .
This is what I have found out is more times the problem, people remove the NVA and venturie, They put them back and either press the venturie too hard or not hard enough, this results in a misalignment of the hole for the bar and the slot in the venturiie, they slice off a tiny piece of venturie with the threads of the bar, or a piece of aluminum, that gets into the threads of the spraybar, this is pushed against the sides of the case when the nut is installed and tightened. This tiny debis is what causes the airleak on the sides of the case seal. To guard against this, use a tiny stiff brush to clean the threads, or a stiff toothbrush. I see this and fix it for people all the time.

Randy

Advertise Here

Advertise Here