News:

• May 03, 2024, 07:48:13 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Saturno (Super Tiger) .35 ?  (Read 1938 times)

Offline Rob Killick

• 2013 Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Commander
Saturno (Super Tiger) .35 ?
« on: August 30, 2007, 08:39:27 PM »
Hi ,

I picked up a new ( never run) Saturno ST .35 .
I'm wondering what fuel blend to use in it . All I have is Cool Power 10% / 18% and 5% / 18% fuel ?
Are needle valve /venturies  still available for this engine ?

Rob Killick , MAAC 33300

Offline Ralph Wenzel (d)

• Captain
Re: Saturno (Super Tiger) .35 ?
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2007, 12:22:45 AM »
Hi Rob,
The ST.35 whas been a favorite of mine since the '60s. I still have 7 or 8 ready-to-go.

Fuel kind of depends on just which ST.35 you have, but in either case, the "Cool Power" blends you mention will not be adequate. The technology of these engines is the old Iron Piston running in a Steel Sleeve, and therefore require much more oil, at least 25%, during break-in, at least.

As far as which ST.35 you have, look at the Bypass side of the engine. If it says G21, you have the twin-ball-bearing version, and you can safely reduce the oil content to about 20% after break-in. If it has a "C" on the bypass side of the case, you have the plain (bushed) bearing version, and should stay with 25% total oil forever. Add about 4 ounces of Castor Oil to a quart of the 10% "Cool Power" for break-in, and don't ever let the engine go lean! A better blend is Powermaster GMA 10/22, in which is  Castor Oil is half the total oil. This is important for cooling, especially during break-in.

One "interesting" characteristic of the plain-bearing version is a tendency to start on just a prime; no battery hook-up. Very surprising, at  the least!

Break-in shoukd be with a wood 9-4 prop, and keep the engine on the edge of a 4-cycle/2-cycle run. Run for one minute and let it cool for 5 minutes. Do this 5 times. Then run for 2 minutes, cool for 5 mnutes. Do this 10 times. Then you can start running a full 2-cycle, always monitoring the head temperature. (If you can hold the head for an honest "One thousand-one, it's not overheating.) FOr the plain-bearing version, you should also monitor the case temperature on the bottom, under the venturi.

Venturis and NVAs are available, but may require some searching. Several folks make custom venturis.

Good luck,

(Too many irons; not enough fire)

Ralph Wenzel
AMA 495785 League City, TX

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2007, 08:03:34 PM »
To add to what Ralph said, the "C" version came in two piston/sleeve set ups

A flat top piston for "combat", and .35 size (or Profile ??) Carrier, and a baffle top piston which is good for a 4-2 stunt run.  You can tell just looking in the exhaust port which one you have.
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Offline Mike Greb

• Commander
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2007, 05:59:14 AM »
Really the old C supertiger had several different P/L sets over its lifetime There was the baffled piston set, The original flat topped piston with little or no blowdown on the sleeve, a flat topped piston and a higher exhaust timing on the sleeve, and at the end of its production life the liner had perry porting.

Offline Leester

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2007, 07:21:04 AM »
Hi Rob: Scott Riese (sriese5283@@aol.com) can make just about any venturi you need. Either Randy Smith,RSM or Tower should have a NVA for this engine. If you get it from Randy get some Aero 1 fuel suppliment, besides adding castor to the Cool Power the Aero 1 will help a lot. You gotta be getting ready for that white stuff up there HB~> can't say that word on the forum it's a four letter word  LL~ LL~.
Leester
ama 830538

Offline joe renfro

• Ensign
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2007, 11:42:33 PM »
"One "interesting" characteristic of the plain-bearing version is a tendency to start on just a prime; no battery hook-up. Very surprising, at  the least!"

Hmmm...never heard of this before....can you shed a little light on how this occurs....No battery and it runs on a prime....

Inquiring minds want to know.....

thanks....

Offline Ralph Wenzel (d)

• Captain
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2007, 01:35:51 PM »
Hi Joe,

We were running yellow Tornado 9-7 props, with Ro-Go 40-40 (40% Nitro, 40% Methanol, 20% UCON synthetic oil) and Fireball Blue (cold) plugs. On warm days, we could prime the engine and flip a few times, just to koosen things up for the match, and the darn things would start without connecting the battery. This was quite startling! It ws not consistent, but it happened frequently enough that it kept us on our toes.

Best,

(Too many irons; not enough fire)

Ralph Wenzel
AMA 495785 League City, TX

Offline rustler

• Captain
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2007, 03:07:23 AM »
the darn things would start without connecting the battery. This was quite startling! It ws not consistent, but it happened frequently enough that it kept us on our toes.

Possibly evidence of the oft quoted catalytic interaction between methanol and platinum.
Ian Russell.
[I can remember the schedule o.k., the problem is remembering what was the last manoeuvre I just flew!].

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2007, 04:56:46 PM »
Really the old C supertiger had several different P/L sets over its lifetime There was the baffled piston set, The original flat topped piston with little or no blowdown on the sleeve, a flat topped piston and a higher exhaust timing on the sleeve, and at the end of its production life the liner had perry porting.

Thanks, Mike.  I wasn't aware of the individual variants. ;D  But, I do know the flat top ones I had didn't care for a 4-2 while the baffle top did.   H^^
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here