News:

• May 02, 2024, 08:05:14 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: saito .72 setup  (Read 646 times)

Offline bob branch

• AMA Member
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
saito .72 setup
« on: January 01, 2007, 08:43:20 PM »
I am considering a Saito .72 for a strega. Not many people in my area run 4 strokes. Could I get some discussion of the pros and cons of 4 strokes this size compared to 2 strokes this size? What I have read some pros from each side. I'm not trying to get a name calling arguement. But from what I've been able to observe it almost seems like its a regional thing... what others are using in your area. What are some of the reasons those of the group who have used both 2 and 4 strokes have decided in favor of one over the other? Along the way if someone can recommend a good starting prop size for the motor, I'd like that little tidbit too.

bob branch

Offline proparc

• Admiral
Re: saito .72 setup
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2007, 09:19:24 PM »
Bob
I have run the 'big block for a long time. Maybe longer than anybody. That said, you may want to consider the new Saito 62 which I also am about to purchase.  I can tell you that the 62 which I have held, seems much lighter than my 72. My guess is that the 62 would be a "drop in" for most 60 2 strokes.  The 72 will pull your Strega like a mack truck. Conditions that me be trying for a lot of 40 powered profiles will be irrelevant for the big block.

As it stacks up: the 62 will "drop in" with no nose modifications,(except for carb and exhaust) access or strengthening. The 72 may require some modification but, be prepared to wipe the grin off your face when you pull the stooge release. 

As for props, 12-13" diameter as a starting point.  As for pitch: what does the plane weigh? how much drag is on the ship? how long are your lines? what type and diameter of lines are you using? what altitude are you flying at? what blend of fuel are using? how fast or slow are your reflexes?  are you looking to go low cost composite or high cost carbon fiber.  You gots to experiment like everyone else bro.
Milton "Proparc" Graham

Offline bob branch

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2007, 10:12:50 PM »
Milton

From Windy's dvd's the plane is about 65 oz with a Rojett .76. From testing he and other guys in his club have done to date, a .60 2 stroke is marginally the smallest motor that works. Windy's feeling is the .76 2 stroke is working well, but he feels the biggest thing you've got is best. He has not as of yet but is planning on putting a .90 RoJett in it eventually. He is flying on 68 ft lines. I fly at sea level... well, 625 ft above in Michigan so we get hot and humid in the summer but nothing like the guys down south. I have no problem with carbon fiber props if that is what the motor needs. So the plane seems to need a big block from what they are finding out. Space wise I think the room is there. These are the points that are available now. I don't travel to distant meets so everything will be about this altitude.

bob branch

Offline proparc

• Admiral
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2007, 01:28:36 AM »
Bob,
The Strega is a Patternmster and the Patternmaster needs muscle!! At your stated weight of 65 oz, the new 62 would be okay. Anything over 70 oz with that wing, and it's big block time.  If you have ANY doubts at all, go with the big block.  The 72 will settle the issue-trust me LOL.
Milton "Proparc" Graham

Walter Hicks

« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2007, 08:01:56 PM »
14x6  prop on the Strega this is a big plane . Bolly 14x6 works great on the Saito .72 You need a large diameter prop

as the wing is 3" thick! Try Top Flite Power point 14x6 thinned a bit. W Hicks

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here