News:

• May 02, 2024, 01:17:56 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Saito 62 adjustable choke info  (Read 423 times)

Offline Will Moore

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Commander
Saito 62 adjustable choke info
« on: June 26, 2008, 05:56:10 PM »
I've been experimenting with the variable adjustable choke idea that Bob Reeves talks about - here is my variation of it.

I made a 90 degree aluminum bracket, that bolts to the two bottom backplate bolts on the Saito.

On it is epoxied a balsa block to create a support and tight friction thread for a nylon bolt threaded through it.

The center of this nylon bolt's head  is fastened a servo screw with a hex head. It is force-threaded into the nylon bolt so it cannot turn on its own. The end of the threaded side of this nylon bolt is tapered to a cone shape.

I threaded the bolt through the balsa block until it fit slightly snug inside the venturi, forcing the balsa block up against the bracket I made.   Once that was done, I epoxied the block to the bracket, and once cured and stable, the whole subassembly was fastened in place.

A small hole was made in the top nose of the airplane to access the bolt with a ball driver that could turn the servo screw, and hence, turn the nylon bolt.  The fusalage hole was lined with 1/8th brass tubing to allow precise allignment of the tool - to -screw fit. 

Everything was put back together and I tried  it out last night with Dave Cook.  Works very well, and we are
still experimenting with it, but I need some imput from Bob Reeves. This is a cool way to have an infinitely adjustable carb. And if you don't need it, you don't have to use it..

Pictures are included with this post - I hope they come out..
Things take longer to happen than you think they will,

Then they happen much faster than you thought they could.
 AMA # 209

Offline Bob Reeves

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Somethin'Xtra Inc.
Re: Saito 62 adjustable choke info
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2008, 06:35:56 PM »
I sure like it.. Not so sure about depending on epoxy only for holding the wood block to aluminum.. Is the aluminum piece also threaded?  I know it's thin but even one thread would insure the wood block wouldn't come loose and block the air intake.  If it should come loose at the wrong instant it could cost an airplane..

Offline Will Moore

• Commander
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2008, 07:44:12 PM »
Bob;

I thought about that possibility.  I think I will mount 2 small bolts to hold the balsa block to the aluminum mount.  sucking up a nylon bolt into the manifold during a critical maneuver would be rather catastrophic indeed.  Not a good thing.

During practice last night, this airplane did a reverse wingover with a 5.9 sec lap speed, out there in the hemisphere on 64 ft. eye to eye lines.  It just clawed its way over the top and down the other side.....I've never experienced that before...most impressive.. We are talking an airplane about 75 -80 oz. in weight.  I'm currently using a stock, un-modified Zinger square tipped wood prop, 13 X 6...Dave Cook  is coaching, advised me to just fly this airplane for awhile before doing anything different.  We have adjusted airpeed to about 5.2 - 5.3 sec lap speeds.  I'm thrilled to fly this airpane with this set-up !

If any need further info, just ask , please.

Will Moore
Things take longer to happen than you think they will,

Then they happen much faster than you thought they could.
 AMA # 209

Offline Bob Reeves

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Somethin'Xtra Inc.
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2008, 09:32:48 AM »
I think Dave has given you some great advice, fly it like it is until you find something you don't like or run into a shortcomming then tweak from there.

I really like your adjustable choke idea as it doesn't depend on the firewall to support the screw as both of my 56 ships do. I have a Legacy that I have never been happy with, always felt it was underpowered with a Stalker 61.. Could also be I just never found the magic combination to make it work. Anyway I am seriously thinking of retrofitting one of my Saito 62's into the Legacy and will for sure steal your idea...

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here