News:

• May 02, 2024, 12:13:37 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Saito 40  (Read 1289 times)

Offline Gary Anderson

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain
Saito 40
« on: August 06, 2008, 09:36:06 PM »
Hi guys,

Has anyone tried the saito 40 and what plane did you try it in. I watched three different saito 40's in arf plane's, one was a tutor and the other two where cardinal's. The engine ran great but I don't believe that you can compare the saito 40 to the OS 46. The saito just doesn't seem to have enough power for these planes. I watched these fliers try different props, different fuel. The saito is a great running engine, I don't believe they're worth the money. The OS flew circles around them. At level flight the saito looked great, when they started stunting the engine just didn't seem to have enough power. I told my friend to give saito a call and see what size plane they tried the engine on. I have a saito 62 on a strega and it flys the tar out of it. If you're thinking about getting one of the saito 40's, I would check with someone that has one to be sure it'll do what you want. Great running engine, I would take an old fox 35 over it. Don't mean to sound negative, just disappointed, Gary
Gary Anderson

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
Re: Saito 40
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2008, 09:58:38 PM »
I would really be curious as to what kind of setup they were trying on these planes. do you have any idea. I too have a 40 A Saito. From what I understand you want to run props in the 7 or 8 inch range. slow rpm grunters....
For years the rat race had me going around in circles, Now I do it for fun!
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Offline Gary Anderson

• Captain
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2008, 10:58:37 PM »
I would really be curious as to what kind of setup they were trying on these planes. do you have any idea. I too have a 40 A Saito. From what I understand you want to run props in the 7 or 8 inch range. slow rpm grunters....
Hi Mark,

They tried different props, I believe 11/5, 11/6, 11/7, 11/8 also some 10" props. The engine seems to run great, just doesn't seem to have enough power when you start stunting. I think a 2 cycle engine starts running harder when you do stunts. It seems like the 4 cycle is the same, doesn't change. I'm sure Randy or one of the engine guys could tell us more. That's the way it looks in the air. Level flight great, turn nose up no change, lines get loose and you know the rest of the story, Gary (Don't own one and don't want one)
« Last Edit: August 07, 2008, 02:17:06 PM by Gary Anderson »
Gary Anderson

Offline Ralph Wenzel (d)

• Captain
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2008, 05:51:22 AM »
I had one in a Cardinal, and after each flight, my elbow ached for 10 minutes. Just how much line tension do you want? Enough power to spend the entire flight at 60°.
(Too many irons; not enough fire)

Ralph Wenzel
AMA 495785 League City, TX

Offline Bob Reeves

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Somethin'Xtra Inc.
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2008, 12:07:03 PM »
Well... I am running a Saito 40a on a 576 sq in profile and have it choked down to bleed off some of the power.

Running a four stroke takes a combination of items to make a good running setup.. Change or leave any one out and you are at risk of having engine runs like what is described in this thread.  I have covered my setup many times so won't repeat it here, just search for "Saito" and you will find numerous discussions on how to make the 40 work.

A Saito 40 with an 11-7 and wide open venturi will probably (should) be turning close to or just over 9 grand. It will run great (if the needle is set right) but you will be doing 4 second laps.. Choke the venturi down to around 8300 and see what happens... I have recently discovered you can choke it down too much trying to run too high of a pitch and end up with inconsistent runs as if it was too open with too little of a prop load.

Offline proparc

• Admiral
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2008, 01:42:33 PM »
Larry Rengers Saito 30 put the hurt on my arm!!!
Milton "Proparc" Graham

Offline anderson-ron

• New Pilot
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2008, 06:06:28 PM »
Hi I have the saito 40 c/l on my cardinal and the jury is still out on this engine.  I grant you the pull is fine if you fly level all the time but I want to fly the full stunt pattern. So far level is good but trying to stunt it the lines get loose. Now when I had my os la 46 on it running rich it was just fine anywhere.  And yes cg, lead outs, are all fine. In fact there are two of  us flying the  same planes and engines  and we are still not happy with them.   thanks ron
Ron Anderson
AMA # 740170

Offline Bob Reeves

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Somethin'Xtra Inc.
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2008, 07:23:28 PM »
Need specifics.. Fuel, prop, type of tank.. RC carb or?

All of my Saitos (except one) give me as much line tension overhead as they do in level flight. The one I am having issues with isn't the engine, think I know what the problem is but won't say till I can confirm.

Offline Greg L Bahrman

• Captain
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2008, 07:48:13 PM »
Gary,
I am curious as to how much fuel you have run thru your Saito 40. Mine didn't run good until I had at least 2 gallons thru it, Then it started to come alive, getting better with each flight.
Greg Bahrman, AMA 312522
Simi Valley, Ca.

Online Robert Zambelli

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2008, 08:09:33 PM »
Fascinating. I think I'll try one.

Mr Spock.   LL~ LL~ LL~ LL~ LL~

Offline Gary Anderson

• Captain
« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2008, 08:15:31 PM »
Gary,
I am curious as to how much fuel you have run thru your Saito 40. Mine didn't run good until I had at least 2 gallons thru it, Then it started to come alive, getting better with each flight.

Hi Greg,

There not my engines, I has just watching my brothers play with them.  They both have over the 40 minute run time. They are great running engines, just don't seem to have what is needed when they start stunting. Looks like they pull like a truck in level flight. When they start doing square loops and eights looks like the power isn't there. My brother flys a lot of different 4 stroke engine, so he know how to set the needle. Four stroke is a lot different than the old 4-2-4 engines, most have used. I'm use to having my motor pick up power when I start doing the pattern. I believe a four stroke engine is a different animal, what you have in level flight is the same power. You don't have that extra power when you start stunting. I love the saito 62 it pulls hard at level flight and when I'm doing the pattern. I'm just trying to help other flyer's to realize the difference between 2 cycle and 4 cycle. Maybe it will change after they are flown more. They just seem to be on the edge of not being enough power for the average flier. I hope I'm wrong but at the moment I would take a OS 46 over this engine. I believe the OS is a lot cheaper then the saito, jury is out as far as I'm concern. I was hoping Randy would have some in put? Yes, my brother removed the insert and got a lot more r's.  It did help pick up the power, just wasn't enough. Thank you, Gary
« Last Edit: August 07, 2008, 08:56:59 PM by Gary Anderson »
Gary Anderson

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2008, 11:34:53 PM »
I dont have any direct experience flying the Saito 40, but it really sounds like some time spent at the "prop shop" wouold maybe make it come alive for them. I wonder if a really well cleaned up and thinned 12 x  7 or 8 rev up might not help greatly?
For years the rat race had me going around in circles, Now I do it for fun!
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Offline Scott Hartford

• Commander
« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2008, 04:55:23 PM »
I have the 40 in a Nobler and it is plenty of power and a great run. As Bob Reeves suggested, I run the Rev-Up 11-7 and Powermaster Y-S 20-20 at 8300 rpm. It is one of my best flying planes. I don't think of the Saito 40 in terms of equal power to a LA 46, but pretty much equal to a good Max 35S.

Offline RandySmith

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
    • Aero Products
« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2008, 05:27:51 PM »
""They just seem to be on the edge of not being enough power for the average flier. I hope I'm wrong but at the moment I would take a OS 46 over this engine. I believe the OS is a lot cheaper then the saito, jury is out as far as I'm concern. I was hoping Randy would have some in put? Yes, my brother removed the insert and got a lot more r's.  It did help pick up the power, just wasn't enough. Thank you, Gary ""

Hi Gary
My comments on the 40 Saitos are this, No they do not have the total power of a 46LA, but they do have power to fly these types of airplanes, you need to treat them very differntly than you would a 46 LA, Take the advice of  Bob Reeves , and others , use  much larger pitch prop, many people use these with 7 and 8 pitch props, this along with 20% nitro fuels will give you a very good combination for Nobler sized planes. You will need to use pitch to control and get the correct  airplane speed , then you will not have to push the 4 stroke so hard that is goes into a verge of being overlean mode.
Try to get a 11 x 7 prop that is easy to turn and see how that works. I have had several people buy Bolly 11.5 x 6.5 props for this engine and report very good results.  let us  know  when you guys  try it again

Regards
Randy

Offline Bob Reeves

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Somethin'Xtra Inc.
« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2008, 04:44:17 PM »
Randy, that Bolly 11.5 X 6.5 may just be the cats meow.. I have often thought the 40 could swing a little larger diameter with a tad less pitch than the 11-7's I've been running but never found a prop to try.. Also like the idea they are currently available.. I have been collecting Rev-Ups and have a pretty good stock of the ones I run but hard to reccomend a prop to someone else that is no longer made.

If I remember, Bolly two blade props are not that expensive, should order one to see how it does compared to my Rev-Up's.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here