News:

• April 30, 2024, 09:53:00 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Round Head Magnum 36 - Ideas/Help?  (Read 3213 times)

Offline Aaron Little

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Commander
Round Head Magnum 36 - Ideas/Help?
« on: November 25, 2010, 05:15:06 PM »

We picked up a round head Magnum 36 somewhere.
I had built an Oriental with the Magnum in it but it never seemed to work right even though I ran it the same way I had ran the square head.

I have been reading through some old posts and it seems the round head will work, any ideas as to what I was doing wrong?

I do know we were using a tongue muffler or whatever those are actually called, could it be a muffler issue?

I hope dad chimes in the motor is at his house but if I remember correctly the motor was charging out of maneuvers, maybe running away, etc and just not behaving like the square headed brother does.

Thanks for any help/ideas!

Offline kenneth cook

• Admiral
Re: Round Head Magnum 36 - Ideas/Help?
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2010, 05:50:49 PM »
       When you state that it wouldn't work right, what exactly was happening. I would think that engine is timed to run fast. Just like the FP.40 I would imagine a low pitch prop would be in order like the APC 10.5x4.5. The tongue muffler would surely help get the heat out. I do recall one of our club members whom I haven't seen in a while who had a Magnum.32 in a Oriental. He upgraded from his previous engine and it truly worked well. I believe we were at the Brodak flyin when he cracked it up pretty bad. I'm sure if you state some of its run characteristics, everyone could help you out better. Runaway issues could be a result of wrong props or bad vibration issues as well as tank issues. What type of fuel were you using? Does this engine have a venturi in it or is the r/c carb in it? This engine may need another head gasket or two installed in it. This would surely tame some of the issues. Did the engine start out early in the flight running rich and then go haywire? Inadequate air flow to the engine could cause funny runs as the engine is retaining too much heat and not enough fuel to keep things cool. There are several variables which can determine an engine run. A uniflow tank may help as I've found this to be successful at times. Its just that I never seem to get them to work without a bit of fiddling involved. Ken

Offline Aaron Little

• Commander
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2010, 06:16:00 PM »
I had built an Oriental with the Magnum in it but it never seemed to work right even though I ran it the same way I had ran the square head.

OK going back to my first post, we were running it in the manner as the square head that we were having success with.
This involved a lower pitch prop around 11X4 or 10.5X4.5 apc something along those lines.
Sig Champion 5% or 10%, ST or PA NVA, same venturi as square head.

I hope dad chimes in the motor is at his house but if I remember correctly the motor was charging out of maneuvers, maybe running away, etc and just not behaving like the square headed brother does.

These are a few of the characteristics I remember. 
Again it was peculiar that we were using the same basic program or setup that we had used successfully on the square head version but having different results.
This leads to the question of muffler type and if that is a possible problem with these engines (tongue vs tube).

I appreciate the reply, is there anything I am missing?

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2010, 12:54:45 AM »
The major complaint seemed to be that it charged out of the maneuvers.  It isn't timed exactly like the square head if IIRC, something I had forgotten.. 

We used a 10 1/2 X 4 or 11 X 4 prop and set it in a wet 2.  This is the "large" round head version that came before the little compact square head .36XLIIS.  The square head is a no brainer to run, and we have never had a problem with it.

Major problem with it all is that the round head engine has a mounting pattern than none of the other engines (Aero Tiger, ST-.35C-.40-.46, OS-S-H-FSR-FP-LA , Fox- 35-40, McCoy RH, Veco-.35-.45, Enya, Webra, Akrobat 42, Johnson, K&B GH or Torp .40) we have matches.  The Oriental is a very good plane and it will take some major surgery to mount a new engine now.

It has a venturi that is pretty much a standard one for a .36 size engine, tongue muffler, Sig Champion fuel.

Big Bear
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2010, 10:23:15 AM »
Hmmmmmmmmm..................... I would have figured SOMEONE would have chimed in with THEIR ideas on this.......

I will change mouthwash AND deodorant if necessary........

Big Bear
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

Trying to get by

Offline Alan Buck

• Commander
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2010, 12:03:04 PM »
Bill have tried a head shim or 2. it sounds like it is trying to runaway just my 2 cents  Alan
ALAN E BUCK

Offline Steve Fitton

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2010, 12:41:29 PM »
Well, I don't know squat about engines, but I did watch you guys tinker with that plane at Marietta a few years back.  I would start with trying to find a 3.75" pitch prop for that motor, maybe something like one of the cut down gators in 10.25x3.75.  If less pitch doesn't work, then I would try the head shim idea, or try less nitro than the 5%.  From what I remembered, that plane acted awfully nose heavy as well.  You might try a top flite 11x4 powerpoint and try depitching it a bit, at least the wood prop would take some weight off the nose...
Steve

Offline Aaron Little

• Commander
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2010, 03:24:05 PM »

I also wonder if the tube muffler may help vs the tongue one we had on it.
I have been reading about how back pressure can create problems.

If I decided to mess with the plane I will probably cut the nose up, fit something in it then put it back together and go from there.

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2010, 05:45:41 PM »
I also wonder if the tube muffler may help vs the tongue one we had on it.
I have been reading about how back pressure can create problems.

If I decided to mess with the plane I will probably cut the nose up, fit something in it then put it back together and go from there.

Cutting into the nose and fixing it for another engine would probably be the best case scenario for now.  A white and red nose is easy to repaint. ;D  Flying time for us is still tough to find! LL~ LL~ LL~

"Dad"
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

Trying to get by

Offline Aaron Little

• Commander
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2010, 05:57:47 PM »

Well we flew the last time we could.
It was 32* and snowing Saturday then 38* and 25mph winds on Sunday makes it rough.

Who knows maybe I need to open a poll to suggestions for engines?

Maybe that Double Star 40
or the FP40
Or the .... its not like we don't have more to try.

Offline Martin Quartim

• 22 supporter
  • Captain
    • StuntHobby
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2010, 06:02:55 PM »
If it is charging when manuvering one or a mix of these things can help:  head shims, more castor oil, smaller venturi, less nitro.

Things to check it out
1- Engine fully broken in?
2- Fuel Delivery is 100% ?
3- Engine Cooling is good ?
4-  Is Fuel Foaming? Try to do the Armor All trick and see if the engine runs any better.

Martin

« Last Edit: December 07, 2010, 07:37:21 PM by Martin Quartim »
Old Enya's never die, they just run stronger!

https://www.youtube.com/user/martinSOLO

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2010, 12:46:43 AM »
If it is charging when manuvering one or a mix of these things can help:  head shims, more castor oil, smaller venturi, less nitro.

Things to check it out
1- Engine fully broken in?
2- Fuel Delivery is 100% ?
3- Engine Cooling is good ?
4-  Is Fuel Foaming? Try to do the Armor All trick and see if the engine runs any better.

Martin

Hi Martin,

All those points were checked, and nothing out of the ordinary was present. ;D
The engine is out of the plane, and it looks like we will just put one in there that is a "proven" engine.

A MAJOR problem is the long nose of the Oriental which, as you know, isn't helped at all by the more modern engines being heavier.

Big Bear
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

Trying to get by

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2010, 12:49:50 AM »
Well we flew the last time we could.
It was 32* and snowing Saturday then 38* and 25mph winds on Sunday makes it rough.

Who knows maybe I need to open a poll to suggestions for engines?(snip)

That is exactly what I was saying. ;D  When we DO get a chance to fly right now, it would be awful disappointing to spend a day trying to get an engine running when we can put another that we know works in there. ;D

Big Bear
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

Trying to get by

Offline Ward Van Duzer

• Admiral
« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2010, 06:59:14 AM »
A trip to Georgia for re-timing?

W.
I hate spelling errors, you mess up 2 letters and you are urined!

Don't hesitate to ask dumb questions.
They are easier to handle than dumb mistakes!  Ward-O AMA 6022

Offline Steve Fitton

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #14 on: December 08, 2010, 07:07:55 AM »
I'd hate to see you have to put alot of time and effort into retrofitting another motor.  Be patient, wait till spring and start tinkering with the magnum.  I'm sure it can be made to run *decent* without too much more effort.
Steve

Offline Aaron Little

• Commander
« Reply #15 on: December 08, 2010, 07:22:04 AM »
Ward: I have thought about that but I don't know honestly if it's worth the money when we have what I feel is better engines we could use.

Steve: I know what you are saying and I have thought about that also but we have put a good bit of time into it tinkering with the engine already I don't know how much it is worth it to keep putting time into it.

Offline Ward Van Duzer

• Admiral
« Reply #16 on: December 11, 2010, 08:36:20 AM »
Now you're thinking!

Why waste your time on a bastard child when you have known success in a drawer someplace.   HB~>  I did this for years and spent more time frustrated, than flying. Over the years I have built up an air force of 2 - Box stock T.T. .36's on small 40 pipes, 2 - retimed T.T.'s, and 2 A.T.'s, and one beautiful re-timed FP .40. This is not to say that these are the only engines worth working with...pick and choose your own working program, but I do believe a "program" is required.

So, now I just go fly! ( I don't think I've touched a needle valve in over a year!)

W.
I hate spelling errors, you mess up 2 letters and you are urined!

Don't hesitate to ask dumb questions.
They are easier to handle than dumb mistakes!  Ward-O AMA 6022

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #17 on: December 11, 2010, 11:01:02 AM »
Now you're thinking!

Why waste your time on a bastard child when you have known success in a drawer someplace.   HB~>  I did this for years and spent more time frustrated, than flying. Over the years I have built up an air force of 2 - Box stock T.T. .36's on small 40 pipes, 2 - retimed T.T.'s, and 2 A.T.'s, and one beautiful re-timed FP .40. This is not to say that these are the only engines worth working with...pick and choose your own working program, but I do believe a "program" is required.

So, now I just go fly! ( I don't think I've touched a needle valve in over a year!)

W.

Hi Ward,

I agree.  At the time he built this model, Aaron was using a square head, compact Magnum .36 XLS IIA, ala PTG.  It works flawlessly out of the box when run as prescribed.  We were under the influence (should have BEEN "under the influence", but I can't with the diabetes) that the big round head was the same timing.  It isn't, at least ours isn't.  Not a single good flight with the set up, and no amount of fiddling with it would yield anything but a sub par flight.  Oh, you could fly a pattern, but it wasn't anywhere near a good engine run.  Neither of us have the time to mess around with that set up anymore.

If I had the appropriate money for this hobby, then I would just put an Aero Tiger .36 in everything this size and keep on keepin' on.  The couple I have work flawlessly at all times.  Unfortunately, with paying our share of surgeries, keeping the local pharmacy in business, rebuilding transmissions, mortgages, etc., the money flow is very restricted for a retired State of NC teacher (the State of NC teacher salary has historically been in the lower 10 in the USA).  And Aaron has the young family to deal with and those attending expenditures.  So, money has to go to specific projects a little bit at a time.  And trying to save for a specific subject is kinda like urinating into the wind. ;D  It's really funny, but I think I have bought less than half a dozen new engines in the past 30 years.  That part is the major expenditure for me, and I have to decide if I am going to try and build a new plane or buy an engine.

Don't get me wrong, I am not going to be on the street shortly (I hope), I just can't buy a new $5.95 McCoy Red Head .35 any place anymore. LL~  So we try to make do.  Ain't going to do that anymore.......

Big Bear
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

Trying to get by

Offline Kim Mortimore

• 2013 Supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #18 on: December 15, 2010, 08:39:44 AM »

Hi Aaron, Bill,

I'm arriving a bit late to the dance, but since I once had an Oriental that flew well with a Brodak 40, I thought I'd throw in my 2 cents' worth here.

First, the noseheavy question.  The long-nosed Oriental is very sensitive to engine weight, and it's good to avoid having to slap on a big glob of tailweight to get a decent CG. 
1.  Is the plane noseheavy with the round head Magnum as Steve mentioned? 
2.  Have you weighed the plane and the engine?  If so, what #s did you get?

...to be continued... 

Kim Mortimore
Santa Clara, CA

Offline Aaron Little

• Commander
« Reply #19 on: December 15, 2010, 04:38:20 PM »

Yes nose heavy, don't remember exact total weight but its not terribly bad.
Brodak 40 fits, but needs shaft/prop extension.
I had read that the brodak 40 doesnt car for a shaft extension so much.

Online Bill Hummel

• 22 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #20 on: December 15, 2010, 05:25:50 PM »
Hi, Aaron
   Anything but the round head Magnum...NEVER could get one to run well.  If the Brodak fits, go with it, you can
make the extension work. Just my 2 cents...
ama 72090

Offline Kim Mortimore

• 2013 Supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #21 on: December 15, 2010, 05:59:48 PM »
Hi, Aaron
   Anything but the round head Magnum...NEVER could get one to run well.  If the Brodak fits, go with it, you can
make the extension work. Just my 2 cents...

Yes, especially if it's the more powerful later version Brodak 40, which can be identified by taking off the backplate and seeing if the bottom of the piston skirt has two semicircular cutouts (later version), or if the bottom of the skirt is perfectly round (less powerful early version).  I had the early version in my Oriental, and it was marginal on power overhead if run at 4-2 break RPM, but did OK with a lower pitch prop running at a moderate 2-stroke.  The later version should be able to 4-2 all day long if the weight isn't excessive. 

You will probably have to redrill for the Brodak 40 anyway, so why not just move it forward far enough so it doesn't need an extension, and redrill there?  Either that or chop the nose off so that it will match the Brodak 40 length and do some refinishing.  If you can move it forward and get away with using threaded inserts rather than blind nuts, you might be able to minimize the surgery, but it looks like you will have to bite the bullet to some extent in one form or another, as no ideal super-easy solution seems to be available.  As for the weight of modern engines, I weighed my Brodak 40 last week and found that it weighs within a few grams of the same as the OS20FP--a little under 7 oz (without the muffler, and the Brodak tube muffler is about as light as they get--tongue mufflers are also available).  A Fox 35 is another option in that same light weight range (which is why the Oriental nose is so long--it was designed for an unmuffled Fox).

If you were flying it and trying to get a decent pattern out of it in a significantly noseheavy condition, it wasn't going to happen regardless of the engine run.  Maybe you added tail weight to balance, which wasn't mentioned(?)  In any case, gotta get a good CG even if it means a lump o' lead. 

As you know, the Oriental is a really nice plane, well worth some extra effort.  We would like to hear how it works out for you.  Hope this helps, and best of luck with it.
Kim Mortimore
Santa Clara, CA

Offline Pat Johnston

• Commander
« Reply #22 on: December 21, 2010, 12:58:03 PM »
Here are thoughts on both the Oriental and engine selection.
First, the original Oriental plans have a note on them (which is Classic legal) stating that the wing can be moved forward or backward depending on the weight of the engine desired.  So, the wing can be moved forward an inch for engines the weight of an LA46 and muffler.  Mark Scarborough did this with wonderful success.  A small bonus here is that it increases the functional TVC by about 4-5%.  I drew the plans, so I should know all about this rif-raf.
Now to engines.  If a person wants the Holy Grail of engines, under $100, buy an LA46-S and either plug one whole side of the venturi with JB Weld, silly-cone, balsa wood, etc or install a much smaller one which gets in the area of .012 to ,014 square inches of choke area.  The combination of a ST NVA and LA25 venturi (.257") gets you to the .012 figure.  My last flight with this combination was swinging a 11.5 X 4W APC in a crackling 2-cycle yeilding a full stunt run with about 6-8 laps after the clover leaf on 2 1/2 ounces of fuel.  Let that sink in.  The run was possibly the most consistent from the start to the finish of anything I've ever expienced.  The break to a solid 2-cycle started at the very beginning of the maneuver and immediately fell back to the level flight setting.  Can you see why I call this the Holy Grail of engines?  Less than $100, 2 1/2 ounces of fuel, swings a substantial prop, and a spectacular run.
How can that get any better?
Pat Johnston
Design and Engine Development
Skunk Works

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #23 on: December 21, 2010, 01:58:51 PM »
Yes, especially if it's the more powerful later version Brodak 40, which can be identified by taking off the backplate and seeing if the bottom of the piston skirt has two semicircular cutouts (later version), or if the bottom of the skirt is perfectly round (less powerful early version).  I had the early version in my Oriental, and it was marginal on power overhead if run at 4-2 break RPM, but did OK with a lower pitch prop running at a moderate 2-stroke.  The later version should be able to 4-2 all day long if the weight isn't excessive.  

You will probably have to redrill for the Brodak 40 anyway, so why not just move it forward far enough so it doesn't need an extension, and redrill there?  Either that or chop the nose off so that it will match the Brodak 40 length and do some refinishing.  If you can move it forward and get away with using threaded inserts rather than blind nuts, you might be able to minimize the surgery, but it looks like you will have to bite the bullet to some extent in one form or another, as no ideal super-easy solution seems to be available.  As for the weight of modern engines, I weighed my Brodak 40 last week and found that it weighs within a few grams of the same as the OS20FP--a little under 7 oz (without the muffler, and the Brodak tube muffler is about as light as they get--tongue mufflers are also available).  A Fox 35 is another option in that same light weight range (which is why the Oriental nose is so long--it was designed for an unmuffled Fox).

If you were flying it and trying to get a decent pattern out of it in a significantly noseheavy condition, it wasn't going to happen regardless of the engine run.  Maybe you added tail weight to balance, which wasn't mentioned(?)  In any case, gotta get a good CG even if it means a lump o' lead.  

As you know, the Oriental is a really nice plane, well worth some extra effort.  We would like to hear how it works out for you.  Hope this helps, and best of luck with it.

Hi Kim,

The problem to putting in a "decent pattern" was due to only the engine run.  Charging at times, etc..  The model was in decent trim.  We only had one compact square head Magnum .36 (PTG style) but we did have the older big case .36, NIB.  Word through the boards at the time seemed to be that the timing was the same, basically.  I didn't check the timing before hand, but it turned out it isn't.

The model is fairly light in it's present form.  We can swap the Brodak .40 in with no real mods to anything as long as we use a shaft extension.  Aaron heard that a Brodak .40 doesn't like a shaft extension, but frankly I don't think we will be putting enough flights on it to have any harm done because for the plain bearing crankshaft.  I don't know for sure since we only have one B-.40 and have not flown it.  it is broken in I understand, and I have run in on a bench.

We can out any if a dozen or so different engines in it, it's just we have to make a decision.  On both the plane and the engine to use if he wants to put it back in service.  Aaron has an excellent Satana and it has gone through the Randy Smith School of Flight Trim.  It is pretty darn good right now.  Some said among (if not the best) the best engine runs at Huntersville.  He is deciding if he wants to stick with practicing with just it, or having a different style/design/size plane to also fly.  He had to take three or four years off from contest flying (and almost no practice during the time) right after he won Intermediate Classic at Brodak's and when he had just moved to Advanced.  So he is behind the 8 Ball.  Practice is the utmost priority on his mind as far as Stunt goes, and messing with set ups takes away from flying! LL~  

He does have a SV 31 in my shop about 75% done.  He also had a new Brodak Thunderbird that has terminal wing warp (it can be fixed, just not now), no amount of any trim got the wings level, inspection showed the outboard tip having a good amount of gradual wash out..

With a Vector .40ARF for practice, Aaron might not want to do much for the immediate future.

I might take the Oriental out of the rack and put an engine in it just for the reason of doing it! LL~  I know Dee and I would like to have one of his designs flying.  I have seen many fly and they did really well, the reason we built this one in the first place! ;D

Thanks for the help!
Bill (Aaron's Dad) Little
AKA:Big Bear
AKA: Mongo
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

Trying to get by

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here