News:

• April 30, 2024, 04:33:07 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: RJL K.61  (Read 2313 times)

Offline Motorman

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
RJL K.61
« on: April 22, 2016, 10:19:16 PM »
Anyone running an  RJL K.61 ? I saw these on the Mecoa site, says they weigh 17.5 oz without muffler is that good?

Thanks,
MM

Offline Mike Haverly

• Captain
Re: RJL K.61
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2016, 11:49:00 PM »
NO
Mike

Offline proparc

• Admiral
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2016, 09:17:30 AM »
At the same Mecoa site, Randy sells a K&B 61 control line stunt motor which supposedly is pretty alright. Not sure why we don't see them more.
Milton "Proparc" Graham

Offline Motorman

• Admiral
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2016, 10:00:02 AM »
The K&B 61 is a cross flow right? I don't think it would have near the same power. What about the HP 61 is that any good?

MM

Offline BillP

• 21 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2016, 10:14:51 AM »
It's a big bulky ringed engine and a Kraft 61 clone...except for carb. I flew a Kraft 61 in rc for years and it had a great life until the front bearing cage let go and trashed the head, piston and liner. Subsquently, I bought the RJL K61 and flew it for years too...still have it but don't fly rc any more. If you are ok with the weight of a Fox 60 Eagle III or IV then the RJL would do for CL. As mentioned already, the K&B 61 is lighter (but not as powerful). I had one of those in rc too. 
Bill P.

Offline andy borgogna

• Ensign
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2016, 10:29:08 AM »
As was stated this engine came from the Phil Kraft company.   Later the RJL came out with the same engine and Kraft stopped selling them.  I was told back then that Phil sold the rights to the engine to RJL but I have no proof of that at all.  The engine worked well but not really any better than any other good .61 which might explain why they stopped being manufactured.   It is true they were a bit heavy, in the R/C world weight is not the big thing it is in the control line world and the weight was pretty much ignored.  Don't know if the exhaust timing is set up for a pipe, but I don't recall ever seeing one run with a pipe.

Now with respect to MECOA, I personally avoid them like the plague!  Every thing I ever purchased from them was of poor quality and everything they ever promised to produce they never did, in particular the "Johnson .35".  This is just my personal opinion and is not intended to influence anybody. y1

Offline Randy Cuberly

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2016, 12:55:57 PM »
The K&B 61 is a cross flow right? I don't think it would have near the same power. What about the HP 61 is that any good?

MM

Actually the K&B 61 has the same bore and stroke numbers and very similar port timing and size (depending on which ST60 you measure) as the ST60 and runs very similarly to the ST.  It is about an ounce heavier than the ST.  In the past I used a couple of the K&B's with good success in SIG Magnums.  If the piston and sleeve fit is good they are a strong easy handling stunt engine.  I believe Tom Dixon sold a bunch of these back in the 90's but my memory fails sometimes these days!

Randy Cuberly
Randy Cuberly
Tucson, AZ

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here