News:

• April 27, 2024, 10:28:41 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: reverse rotation (Clockwise) for 4 Strokes  (Read 1869 times)

Offline Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
reverse rotation (Clockwise) for 4 Strokes
« on: May 22, 2009, 11:18:45 AM »
Guys,

Does anyone know if you can move the cam timing  on the OS and Saito 4 strokes to allow clockwise running? I have tried the clockwise prop rotation on electrics and it has advantages on outside maneuvers that I like. Most 2 cycles that use the crankshaft induction need a shaft replacement for clockwise operation but it seems the 4 stokes should just need to reposition the cam timing 180 deg out.

Best,     Dennis T

Offline rustler

• Captain
Re: reverse rotation (Clockwise) for 4 Strokes
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2009, 01:43:01 PM »
On the old Brit. Gannet engines you could get reverse rotation by swapping the pushrods from one valve to the other.
Ian Russell.
[I can remember the schedule o.k., the problem is remembering what was the last manoeuvre I just flew!].

Offline Martin Quartim

• 22 supporter
  • Captain
    • StuntHobby
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2009, 06:07:49 PM »
Guys,

Does anyone know if you can move the cam timing  on the OS and Saito 4 strokes to allow clockwise running? I have tried the clockwise prop rotation on electrics and it has advantages on outside maneuvers that I like. Most 2 cycles that use the crankshaft induction need a shaft replacement for clockwise operation but it seems the 4 stokes should just need to reposition the cam timing 180 deg out.

Best,     Dennis T

The Enya 53-4C has independent cam gear and could be set for reverse.

The Enya SS50 also has an optional reverse shaft.

I have heard the main advantage would be in the hourglass.

Martin
Old Enya's never die, they just run stronger!

https://www.youtube.com/user/martinSOLO

Offline Robert Zambelli

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2009, 06:45:30 PM »
Dennis - as Martin said, you can retime the two camshafts independently only on the ENYA 4S and thereby reverse the rotation.

I have the new timing diagram if you need it.

The SAITO and OS 4S engines have the cams on a common shaft such that they cannot be retimed.

You can fabricate a reverse rotation camshaft if you have access to a machine shop as well as metal treating facilities.

Bob Z.

Offline rustler

• Captain
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2009, 02:01:18 PM »
On the old Brit. Gannet engines you could get reverse rotation by swapping the pushrods from one valve to the other.

OR IT MAY HAVE BEEN THE MAGNUM. IN FACT I THINK IT WAS THE MAGNUM.
Ian Russell.
[I can remember the schedule o.k., the problem is remembering what was the last manoeuvre I just flew!].

Offline Air Ministry .

• Admiral
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2009, 12:35:27 AM »

If Im not wrong , the Satio Cams are two piece ,  (two lobes ) then assembled and swaged.

It appears Gilbert Berringer ran a clockwise . 40 on one side of his twi.

The Guess is , he ordered an unassembled cam from atio and set the lobe seperation opposite .

Other alternative would be to grind of the swageing , seperate it , reassemble it with opposite seperation and w weld (electrick ) . pref. T.I.G.

Good old hot rod Know How . ?
 Generally the overlap period is just before T.D.C. for retiming .
--------------------------------------------------------------------

Hot Rod tecnology was to weld and grind lobes. (or British Motorcycles.)
Generally non critical on singles .Cutting the profile with a file , and hand stoneing smooth prior to rehardening wasnt unusual. Though unless the gear wheel was removable , this could give you problems.

SO seeing if you can get an un - pressed Satio Cam , or other if there also two seperate parts
would be the safest way to go.to avoid expensive noises .

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2009, 08:28:21 PM »
I wouldn't be surprised if Saito (and others) have reverse rotation cams available for their 4S engines. I'd sure ask, before I tried a DIY project. Might be in the parts list that came in the box, come to think of it!

The Hourglass is easier if you don't hammer the first corner quite so hard. Same for the OH8's...keep the speed up, so keeping the line tension up a bit more.   H^^ Steve
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Advertise Here
Tags: engines  4 strokes  FS 

Advertise Here