News:

• May 03, 2024, 02:33:00 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Replacement glow plug  (Read 709 times)

Offline Karl Knipper

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Ensign
Replacement glow plug
« on: September 04, 2009, 06:03:29 AM »
Good Morning fellow fliers.
I have a couple of old McCoy Red head engines. I was wondering what would be a good replacement glow plug for the oldtimers. I need to have a couple for the field box. I am currently running about 26 % oil content.
Thanks again
Karl

Offline Glen Wearden

• Commander
Re: Replacement glow plug
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2009, 08:35:10 AM »
I'm no expert, but I've started to use OS A3's (I think they're listed as #8, now).  They're the hot ones.  They work real well for me.  Some guys say that Thunderbolts are the only way to go, and I will try them once my supply of A3's goes down.

Glen
Glen Wearden

Offline Jim Thomerson

• Admiral
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2009, 10:11:30 AM »
I use Fox 2-volt longs.  Run fine in McCoys (and all my other engines as well).

Offline Jim Kraft

• Admiral
  • AMA78415
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2009, 11:39:59 AM »
I have had very good runs on my McCoy Red Heads with Thunderbolt long R/C plugs. I have been using them for about 14 years without problems.
Jim Kraft

Offline Bill Hummel

• 22 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2009, 01:21:06 PM »
Karl, we've had continued success with both the Sig R/C Long, and the Glow Devil #300 plugs in engines similar to yours.  Both are fairly hot plugs for good operation with higher castor/low nitro fuels, as well as the more standard blends.
ama 72090

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2009, 09:54:01 PM »
I wouldn't argue with the above recommendations, but would point out that McCoy glowplugs appear to still be available from Tower Hobby. They are actually made by Ohlsson Corporation, who usta make O&R engines and who also make Thunderbolt, K&B, and many other brands of glowplugs...the good ones, IMO. Just in case you're interested. Use the hottest one they have listed,  Idle Bar R/C or 4-cycle.  :! Steve
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here