News:

• May 03, 2024, 06:55:20 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Remote Needles  (Read 852 times)

Offline Larry Fulwider

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Commander
Remote Needles
« on: November 19, 2009, 04:57:08 PM »
Has anyone experimented with the actual engine run differences between remote needles feeding into a spraybar vs needles right-up-front-where-they-belong? (That is, I’m ignoring sprinklers / spigots)

At a recent combat match, I noticed the combat guys are universally using remote NVs. Being an old school guy, it took a while to figure out the obvious. Makes sense to use a remote for any profile mounted engine, as the needle can be placed to avoid breakage. And, it is nice have a little more distance to the prop (Yeah, I got one of those knuckle scars)

When the EVO came out, some changed, some said it was unnecessary. The LA s I’ve seen have been mostly up front. It seems logical that where the metering actually takes place should be immaterial if the spraybar is in the same place. But is that true?
   I know there are some strong prejudices on the subject. Any data?

Larry Fulwider

Offline ray copeland

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
Re: Remote Needles
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2009, 08:31:03 PM »
Great topic Larry!  I always figured with my combat models the remote needle didn't matter because of mucho pressure. But with some of my OS la engines on suction having the remote needle mounted on the backplate up higher than the spraybar and some with the needle in the spraybar level with the tank,  if there was a running difference, so far i have not noticed any. Would love to hear other results!!
Ray from Greensboro, North Carolina , six laps inverted so far with my hand held vertically!!! (forgot to mention, none level!) AMA# 902150

Offline Russell Shaffer

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2009, 09:14:08 PM »
My experience is very limited, but there is a slight lag in the adjustments taking effect.  Sure nice not to buzz my fingers in the prop, though. 
Russell Shaffer
Klamath Falls, Oregon
Just North of the California border

Online Geoff Goodworth

• Captain
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2009, 01:58:13 AM »
The only remote needle set up that I own came with an FP 10. I replaced it with the factory front needle because I could not get the rear needle to seal. I tried different dia fuel tubes, different size clips and, while the engine ran, it always drew air from somewhere. The line from the tank was free of bubbles but there were always bubbles between the NVA and the spigot. The engine runs really well with the front NVA set up. It's only a sample of one but worth reporting.

Cheers, Geoff

Offline Larry Fulwider

• Commander
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2009, 05:35:13 PM »
My experience is very limited, but there is a slight lag in the adjustments taking effect.  Sure nice not to buzz my fingers in the prop, though.  

My first few bench runs with an LA 46 still had the remote needle. Next day runs on the bench were with a regular needle, as I had to swap NVAs to fit the plane it was going into. I don't specifically remember any troublesome lag, or any lag at all. I was needling up and down, obviously.
         But, I'll bet you are right, and I was focused on other things. That seems an almost guaranteed difference with the distance involved.

Searching further, I've read some complaints of hard starting because of "retreating fuel" issue that Geoff mentioned, albeit his was due to a leak.

I think I'll try one on a plane here in a few weeks, and report back of any issues I find. Ya notice, no one has responded, "Don't ever use a remote NVA!"

Also, Ray Copeland mentioned last weekend that he runs several remotes, and so far hasn't had any issues.

Larry Fulwider

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2009, 08:00:18 PM »
I've used two remote NV setups, and was not pleased with either. The first was an OS .29X unit mounted on my ST .29FI, in the early '60's. Bad NV response, tho I can't recall if it was a bladder or crankcase pressure metal tank. The last was the .25LA-S on a Skyray. Slow NV response, plus backflow into the tank resulted in bad starting.  Crumby shutdown also, but it may have been as much due to excess model yaw, fixed via multiple changes at once, such as changing the NV assy., the leadout locations, and shimming the aft end of the fuel tank outboard. I haven't tried one of the Magnum remotes, but I think they may be pretty good by comparison. A Nelson/Randy Aero NV assy. is really hard to beat, tho.  :o Steve 
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Offline tom hampshire

• AMA Member
  • Commander
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2009, 07:10:37 AM »
Opinion only... Remote NVA's always suffer from varying fuel feed during maneuvers because the acceleration in either the 'up' or 'down' directions, independent of the attitude of the airframe, pulls the fuel in the line toward or away from the venturi.  This causes small variations in fuel feed and changes the run.  The effect is masked in a conventional setup because the metering orifice is located right at the venturi throat, where  manifold vacuum is maximum.  With the metering hole 2 inches or so away, momentum affects the fuel in the line between the metering hole and the venturi.  All of this goes for suction fuel feed only.  With a bladder fed combat setup the engine runs wide open all the time, so not much variation occurs.  You can play with this by running the fuel line up to the venturi on the same side of the engine as the fuel inlet, run some test flights and evaluate the run.  Then wrap the feed line over the other side of the engine, behind the venturi , making a tight U turn to attach to the inlet fitting.  Puts the weight of the fuel in the line on the other side of the engine.  I have been able to find noticeable differences just by re routing the fuel line.  On other guys airplanes only.  I never thought that a remote NVA could improve the run.

Offline Joe Messinger

• Commander
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2009, 07:13:36 AM »
My experience with the RNV setup on several different OS engines was irregular shut down.  The engine would, sometimes, quit abruptly when the fuel tank was almost empty.  Most of the time, the engine would speed up, stop, start again, stop, often for 10 laps or more. I realize several things can cause this but I changed to a front NVA and made no other changes. That ended the problem for me.

Some say they have good results with the RNV and I'm sure they do but I could never get consistant shut downs with them.

Joe  
Joe Messinger

Offline Clayton Smith

• AMA Member
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2009, 07:25:28 AM »
The engine shut off ruling affecting Slow Combat pretty much dictated a remote needle valve assembly starting in 1999.  Using OS FP RC Needle Assemblies proved totally reliable.  Those familiar with slow combat will know that these are suction fuel systems in a most demanding performance environment.  Unfortunately the shut off rule pretty much ended slow combat and AMA Combat for that matter after the 1999 Nationals.

Need to use a quality needle valve assembly like the OS FP RC Series use.  Not the LA Series that are prone to leakage and broken integral mount/spray bar.  Those who say it doesn't work or can't work satisfactorily probably never tried it.
Clayton Smith
AMA 16879
High Point, NC

Offline Matt Colan

• N-756355
  • AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2009, 08:22:20 AM »
Hi Larry,

We tried a remote needle valve in the LA 46 that was in grandpa's P-47, and it was horrible!  For one thing when the motor was at the end of the run, it would surge and surge and surge for the better part of a minute.  We were also noting that when he went inverted on the reverse wingover, the motor would richen up and come back up to speed.  The motor never really ran with as much consistancy as it did when we went to a regular needle valve assembly.  What finally had us switch needles, was when the motor flamed out inverted during the square 8, which the landing caused a crack near the rudder and stab, and a 3 blade bolly prop that we were trying on it broke.  After that happened, we had enough agrivation and went to a standard, I believe it was an ST NVA and all was well.

Matt Colan

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2009, 06:13:08 PM »
If it was only the slow NV response, I'd be in favor of using remote NV's, but it isn't, for suction/muffler pressure fuel systems.

High pressure bladder fuel systems used on combat models fix all the problems, that is, if they don't leak. It's a different ballgame, and they work fine.    y1 Steve
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Offline Mike Greb

• Commander
« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2009, 12:29:22 PM »
I have a carrier airplane with a jett remote needle valve.  I think I had some vibration problems with the needle. I would get some foaming coming out of the needle.  A bit of armor-all in the fuel solved that problem. It has ran fine after that.   A different jug of fuel even without the armor-all and all is still fine.

On a different subject, My Ro-Jett 76 likes a little armor-all in the fuel. Sometimes I forget and start having some problems with inconsistant runs, and there is probably a fuel foaming problem, because armor-all in the fuel seems to fix the problem.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here