News:

• May 22, 2024, 03:44:49 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Rear exhaust non-schneurle engines?  (Read 1597 times)

Offline Frank Sheridan

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Commander
Rear exhaust non-schneurle engines?
« on: April 27, 2009, 06:08:42 PM »
Hello to all. This is my first post on these boards. I've been a closet controlliner all my life, always having at least one plane in the house with wires on it, but not in it. My question is has anyone ever produced a rear exhaust non- schneurle engine for control line flying, particularly for stunt applications? All my c/l engines have been side exhaust types. Just curious. Thanks

Offline John Miller

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Rear exhaust non-schneurle engines?
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2009, 06:14:54 PM »
Welcome to the boards Frank, glad to have you with us.

In answer to your question, it would have to be yes. I'm aware of at least 2 manufacturers of non-schnuerly rear exhaust engines dedicated to stunt.

I happen to be a dedicated fan of one of them, The Stalker line of engines from Moldavia I believe. The other manufacturer is from the Ukraine, where they manufacture the Discovery Retro line of engines.

There are several of us using these engines. I'm sure others will jon in as swell.

These engines are available from several sources, with Kaz Minato in Japan being the best known.

Cheers,

John
Getting a line on life. AMA 1601

Offline Ralph Wenzel (d)

• Captain
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2009, 06:49:24 PM »
If you mean non-Schnuerle = non-piped, Randy Smith offers much of the PA lineup in RE, non-pipe versions.
(Too many irons; not enough fire)

Ralph Wenzel
AMA 495785 League City, TX

Offline Randy Ryan

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2009, 07:21:10 PM »
MVVS also offers a .49 that can be used as either a side (right or left) or rear exhaust
Randy Ryan <><
AMA 8500
SAM 36 BO all my own M's

Offline Frank Sheridan

• Commander
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2009, 07:43:31 PM »
So how about a short history lesson? When did schneurle engines start showing up in stunt ships? Do they exhibit the same tendency to change rpms during maneuvers like the old engines (Fox 35, etc.)?

Offline Richard Grogan

• AMA Member 85745 Stunt Hangar
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2009, 10:04:27 PM »
I moved this thread here where the motorheads live!lol Frank is my old flying buddy from our childhood in Lake Charles La. I don't know the answer, but I'm sure someone here like Randy or others will know! Make yourself at home Frank. This is the best dang CL site on the net!
Long Live the CL Crowd!

AMA 85745

Online Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2009, 10:36:16 PM »
So how about a short history lesson? When did schneurle engines start showing up in stunt ships?

Late 70's.

Do they exhibit the same tendency to change rpms during maneuvers like the old engines (Fox 35, etc.)?

You mean, can they do a 4-2 break? Yes, but that's definitely a minority approach in competition. Engine performance has taken quantum leaps beyond a Fox 35 and it has entirely changed the game. The majority of the engines flown by the top pilots are schneurle engines with tuned pipe exhaust systems, and relatively low-pitch propellors at relatively high RPM.

But if you want that sort of run, certainly you can get it with schneurle engines. A PA or RO-Jett on a muffler will run like a Fox on massive, Barry Bond's level of steroids with tremendously more effective power.

An alternative is something like a Retro Dsicovery 60, that is a baffle piston engine that runs about like you would remember although it's tremendously more powerful and effective. They are made in the Ukraine and are hard to come by, but it did win the last two Nationals (and beat me twice in a row).

Brett

Offline Allan Perret

• Admiral
  • Proverbs
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2009, 06:25:25 AM »

An alternative is something like a Retro Dsicovery 60, that is a baffle piston engine that runs about like you would remember although it's tremendously more powerful and effective. They are made in the Ukraine and are hard to come by, but it did win the last two Nationals (and beat me twice in a row).
    Brett
The Stalker line of engines are similar to the Retro's and are readily available.
Allan Perret
AMA 302406
Slidell, Louisiana

Online Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2009, 09:34:10 AM »
The Stalker line of engines are similar to the Retro's and are readily available.

They are hypothetically similar, but I have only seen one Stalker that seemed to run properly, and that was last October (a 51, I think). I have seen a large number of them that were virtually unusable, either from too little power, too much power (or at least gigantic venturis that made them useless for stunt) or inconsistency. I know that a some people have had very good results, but I sure haven't seen much of it until recently.

Brett

Offline rustler

• Captain
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2009, 02:01:27 PM »
Oh well, I'll have to blow my own trumpet  :(
Plus of course, Rustler 40, 51, and 61.
All now even better value now the £ has sunk v. the $!
Ian Russell.
[I can remember the schedule o.k., the problem is remembering what was the last manoeuvre I just flew!].

Online Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2009, 08:59:40 PM »
Oh well, I'll have to blow my own trumpet  :(
Plus of course, Rustler 40, 51, and 61.
All now even better value now the £ has sunk v. the $!

Indeed, the 40 is dandy, and I saw The Unknown Pilot (#2) win an International ARF-Off perpetual trophy with the 60 Metamorph, with The Unknown Pilot (#1) close behind, also with a 60 Metamorph.

Brett

Offline John Miller

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2009, 09:29:14 PM »
   They are hypothetically similar, but I have only seen one Stalker that seemed to run properly, and that was last October (a 51, I think). I have seen a large number of them that were virtually unusable, either from too little power, too much power (or at least gigantic venturis that made them useless for stunt) or inconsistency. I know that a some people have had very good results, but I sure haven't seen much of it until recently.

Brett

Brett, I respect your opinion, as do many others on the forum, but I feel I need to correct part of your statement made above.

You've actually seen a lot more Stalkers running good stunt runs, but likely didn't know that it was a Stalker making the run.

All of my planes, for the last 5 or so years, have been powered with Stalker engines.

My Legacy flown at the Regionals, and the Golden State, 5 or 6 years ago is powered with a Stalker .61RE.

My Vector 40 flown at the Regionals, and the Golden state, is powered with a Stalker .40RE.

My All American Eagle, flown for the last 3 years at VSC, the Regionals, and Golden State is also powered with a Stalker .40RE.

My Pathfinder L.E. , also flown last October, at the Golden State is also powered with a Stalker .51 RE as is Gordan's, which you flew.

Allen Resinger in Canada has been flying Stalkers for years now, as are others.

Most of the folks who have had problems with them, would also have similar problems with the Discovery Retro engines.

I get e-mails all the time asking me what I am doing to get the runs I do with mine. The answer is simple, but apparently difficult for some to accept. Start out with FAI fuel, 18% oil with no more than 5% of that oil being castor, use the recommended prop, which means a 6" pitch prop.

If after flying with that setup, you feel you need a little more poop, go up to 5% nitro. More than that, and you should think about lowering the compression.

One Stalker .40RE in particular that I'm familiar with, has been fiddled with so much so high nitro, and low pitch props could be used that it now runs and carries the classic ship it's mounted in OK but it isn't as relieable as it should be. My AAE powered with a stock version of the same engine, carries the plane as well, or perhaps better, and is dead reliable.

One thing that fools some folks is the quiet exhaust note. It fools some into thinking that there's a lack of power.

Gordan thought my planes were under powered until reccently, where he has finally publicly admitted that he was mistaken, and that these engines are underrated.

Now, my only reason for bringing this all to your attention, is that you, my friend, have a considerable amount of respect for your opinions, and well deserved it is, but on this subject, perhaps you weren't aware of all the stalkers you've seen running well, and didn't know it.

As noted by yourself, and others, there are several good rear exhaust engines now availble, but there are only a few non-schnuerle rear exhaust engines available.

« Last Edit: April 29, 2009, 09:55:09 PM by John Miller »
Getting a line on life. AMA 1601

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here