News:

• May 04, 2024, 05:14:40 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Reaming a carbon prop  (Read 1039 times)

Offline Mike Ferguson

• AMA Member
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Commander
Reaming a carbon prop
« on: November 30, 2006, 09:48:26 AM »
How does one go about properly reaming a carbon fiber propeller?  I just went the other night to try putting an Eather carbon 3-blade on a RO-Jett engine ... of course, the prop doesn't fit onto the crank.

I don't recall ever reading how to properly do this ... is there some special way to ream out a carbon prop (and therefore avoid ruining a $30 prop), or is it "just do it the old fashioned way" - i.e., grab a prop reamer and start twisting?

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
Re: Reaming a carbon prop
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2006, 06:03:25 PM »
How does one go about properly reaming a carbon fiber propeller?  I just went the other night to try putting an Eather carbon 3-blade on a RO-Jett engine ... of course, the prop doesn't fit onto the crank.

I don't recall ever reading how to properly do this ... is there some special way to ream out a carbon prop (and therefore avoid ruining a $30 prop), or is it "just do it the old fashioned way" - i.e., grab a prop reamer and start twisting?

HI Mike,

I just use one of the two Fox prop reamers.  Haven't had a need to try and find anything else to use.......... they have always done the job.

Bill <><
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Offline Mike Ferguson

• AMA Member
  • Commander
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2006, 07:09:22 AM »
Thanks Bill - that's kind of what I thought, but I wanted to confirm that I hadn't been ruining carbon props (or at least putting unnecessary stresses in them) over the past few years ...   :)

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2006, 08:25:34 PM »
I drill them out, myself. A mill/drill works wonders
Member in good standing of P.I.S.T
(Politically Incorrect Stunt Team)
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Vincent Judd

• Commander
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2006, 10:23:42 AM »
This gentleman will custom grind any drill, any pilot size.  I've used them and they work great in a drill press.  Perfectly straight holes with no wobble or crookedness.  He also has a bunch of popular sizes already made up.

http://www.bennettbuilt.com/

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here