News:

• April 30, 2024, 08:08:53 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Real Heavy Spinner Backplate  (Read 2658 times)

John Leidle

• Trade Count: (0)
Real Heavy Spinner Backplate
« on: March 16, 2016, 07:32:23 PM »
    Most of my planes are tail heavy , can anyone tell me roughly how heavy of a spinner back plate we can install on an engine without doing damage to the bearings ? I can make a brass back plate that is 1/4" thick & it might be too heavy I dont want to find out the hard way.  The engine is a Merco .61SS ...
                 Thanks in advance,   John

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
Re: Real Heavy Spinner Backplate
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2016, 10:32:41 PM »
John, I went a slightly different aproach, on my Avenger I have a 2.75 ounce spinner nut that Scott made for me out of brass. and I have a one ounce weight under that nut, so I have 3.5 ounces on the crank of the beast... and its had many many flights. The Magnum in it is still as solid as a rock. Now that said, I like the idea of concentrating the weight as close to the centerline of the crank as you can. the farther out the weight is, the more critical balance seems to be.
my two cents worth,,

and yes, that pretty paint job comes at a cost... to much paint on the tail!!! and to think It could be flying at 59 ounces or less without all that weight on the nose..
For years the rat race had me going around in circles, Now I do it for fun!
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Online Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2016, 10:54:38 PM »
    Most of my planes are tail heavy , can anyone tell me roughly how heavy of a spinner back plate we can install on an engine without doing damage to the bearings ? I can make a brass back plate that is 1/4" thick & it might be too heavy I dont want to find out the hard way.  The engine is a Merco .61SS ...
                 Thanks in advance,   John

You aren't likely to damage anything with a heavy backplate. I have used 2.5 ounce Prather weights on a Fox 35 with no apparent harm.

Brett

John Leidle

« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2016, 11:52:30 PM »
    Mark , in my case it isn't too much paint as much as it's clumsely construction... on my part. Also shortened the nose an inch... ( major mistake)  Brett, I figure if that amount didnt hurt the Fox  my idea should be fine on the hefty crank BB Merco,,,
                  Thanks everyone , John

Offline Akihiro Danjo

• 23 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2016, 02:21:24 AM »
 I have used 2.5 ounce Prather weights on a Fox 35 with no apparent harm.

Brett

How about the (throttle) responce?

Aki

Online Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2016, 09:52:37 AM »
How about the (throttle) responce?

Aki

At least with the Prather weight, unaffected, as near as I could tell. Calculate the moment of inertia of the prop VS the weight, and I think you will find it to be a tiny contributor to the inertia.

Brett

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2016, 10:07:23 AM »
   At least with the Prather weight, unaffected, as near as I could tell. Calculate the moment of inertia of the prop VS the weight, and I think you will find it to be a tiny contributor to the inertia.

You measured the throttle response?

I did a quick, rough calculation -- the moment of inertia of a 1/2-ounce, 11-inch prop is roughly eight times more than the moment of inertia of a 2-ounce, 2-inch diameter disk.  So, tiny from a controls perspective.
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Online Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2016, 04:35:33 PM »
You measured the throttle response?

I did a quick, rough calculation -- the moment of inertia of a 1/2-ounce, 11-inch prop is roughly eight times more than the moment of inertia of a 2-ounce, 2-inch diameter disk.  So, tiny from a controls perspective.

I measured the fact that the 4-2 break was unaffected, which I believe was the crux of the question.

Brett

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2016, 05:54:49 PM »
  I measured the fact that the 4-2 break was unaffected, which I believe was the crux of the question.

Brett

Out of curiosity, do you know how much the RPM is affected during a 4-2 break?  It sounds pretty damned impressive, but that's because there's twice as many "pops" per revolution.
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline Peter Germann

• Captain
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2016, 04:24:24 AM »
Out of curiosity, do you know how much the RPM is affected during a 4-2 break?  It sounds pretty damned impressive, but that's because there's twice as many "pops" per revolution.

VERY interesting question, in particular for those trying to emulate a 4-2 break with blackbox devices driving electrics... I do remember havin seen here related in-flight logsbut cant fing those anymore

Peter

Peter Germann

Online Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2016, 04:47:22 PM »

Depends on when you check. Many times it breaks into a 2-stroke because the rpm has been depressed by loading it, or goes from a 2 to a 4 while speeding up.

Brett

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here