News:

• May 22, 2024, 01:22:41 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: RE: Fox 36X  (Read 1087 times)

Offline Keith Polzin

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Ensign
RE: Fox 36X
« on: January 18, 2008, 02:35:59 AM »
  Any advice on how to make it go?  It's new. Never run.   Keith

Offline Scott Hartford

• Commander
Re: RE: Fox 36X
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2008, 11:47:05 AM »
It'll go quickest and best on E-Bay!!! LL~ But if you insist on trying to run it try 3 headgaskets (Fox 35 stunt) and Superfuel (5-29)with an 11-4 to start.

Offline Don Collins

• Ensign
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2008, 12:31:09 PM »
Keith,
I run a Fox36X on a Brodak Viking and it pulls the air plane with authority... The engine is almost too powerful which can be reduced by adding extra gaskets as recommended in the earlier post. My engine works well with a 10-5 or a 10-6 prop. The 10-6 was to fast with the Viking.
You will need to use the all Castor fuel [27 - 29%] or at least 25% Castor & 4% synthetic after the brake in period.
If you want to sell your engine, let me know. The all castor is messy but the engine will start easy and run fast! Very fast !
Don

Offline phil c

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2008, 05:25:52 PM »
Break it in slowly, just like a Fox 35.  Short rich runs, gradually leaning out from one run to the next.  Let it cool completely in between.  Then don't be a wimp, run it fast on a 9/6 or 10/6 and let the plane fly where the engine wants to run, 75-80 mph.
phil Cartier

Offline Ray

• Lieutenant
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2008, 07:49:04 PM »
With or without head spacers/ extra gaskets, a 36X is timed for a two cycle, and like a GH Torp 35, and most of the modern engines, was never intended to try running in a classic Fox or McCoy breaking stunt run (4-2-4).  You can have fun using it by setting the needle to a rich two cycle setting, and using a lower pitched prop.  It likes a Taipan 11-5 prop that has been trimmed down to 10 1/2 diameter. 

It has better cooling than a Fox 35, and by comparison to that one, starts more readily "hot" than the stunt motor does (though still not really at all well enough for higher level AMA CL Combat competition back in its own day).

Offline RandySmith

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
    • Aero Products
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2008, 09:44:33 PM »
Break it in slowly, just like a Fox 35.  Short rich runs, gradually leaning out from one run to the next.  Let it cool completely in between.  Then don't be a wimp, run it fast on a 9/6 or 10/6 and let the plane fly where the engine wants to run, 75-80 mph.

Hi Keith

Phil is right on target with his comments, I had many FOX 36X engines and  most of mine had a piston made of material that really grew a lot as it gets hotter. Some to the point of if you ran it too hard it would grow so quickly as to lock up in mid run.
Go slow and do the breakin on the ground with short runs.

Regards
Randy

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here