News:

• May 09, 2024, 03:06:41 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: RE engines???  (Read 5689 times)

Offline Paul Taylor

• 24 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
  • If God is your Co-pilot - swap seats!
    • Our Local CL Web Page
RE engines???
« on: November 27, 2011, 07:17:54 PM »
Other then the Ro-Jet and the PA series engines, what other RE engines are there?
Paul
AMA 842917

Tight Lines = Fun Times

Offline Martin Quartim

• 22 supporter
  • Captain
    • StuntHobby
Re: RE engines???
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2011, 07:42:42 PM »
Stalker, Retro and hopefully Enya will soon have the 61CXR R.E.

Enya has a  53 4Stroke engine that can be setup for R.E.  Here is a picture of the engine in a SV-11

Martin

Old Enya's never die, they just run stronger!

https://www.youtube.com/user/martinSOLO

Offline Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2011, 08:08:31 PM »
Other then the Ro-Jet and the PA series engines, what other RE engines are there?

40/46VF - still the gold standard.

Brett

Offline Chris Wilson

• Admiral
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2011, 08:55:23 PM »
MVVS engines between a 0.15ci and the mighty 0.91.

Fox 25.

R+B 75.

Merco 40, 51 and 61.

PAW diesels can be made to 'pipe' towards the rear.

K+B ducted fan engines.

And various odds and sods like the Super Tigre X40, OPS engines, some Rossi's, Russian Stass's, and well - most marine conversions as well as a lot of modern combat engines.

MAAA AUS 73427

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.
 Nothing in life is so exhilarating as to be shot at without result.  It's not enough that we do our best; sometimes we have to do what's required

Offline Brian Hampton

• Captain
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2011, 07:22:23 AM »
40/46VF - still the gold standard.
I guess that makes the Irvine 40RLS the platinum standard then :), it's a sweetheart of an engine. And yes, I have the 40/46VF's as well. As for the Stass's 42RE, I'm actually quite impressed by it, even with its plain bearing crank and iron piston, although I'm beginning to think I've got the only one in the world because no-one seems to know anything at all about it.

Offline RandySmith

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
    • Aero Products
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2011, 02:27:25 PM »
Someone forgot Rossi and OPS

:-)

Randy

Offline Chris Wilson

• Admiral
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2011, 03:00:23 PM »
Someone forgot Rossi and OPS

:-)

Randy
No, not really (check my last post!)
MAAA AUS 73427

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.
 Nothing in life is so exhilarating as to be shot at without result.  It's not enough that we do our best; sometimes we have to do what's required

Offline Russell Shaffer

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2011, 03:49:01 PM »
Fox 25 BB.  The cylinder can be turned in 90 degree steps, even point forward.
Russell Shaffer
Klamath Falls, Oregon
Just North of the California border

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2011, 04:07:26 PM »
Would I be too much of a smart a** if I were to point out that a muffler on a Cox 049 would...

Oh, never mind.
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline Chris Wilson

• Admiral
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2011, 04:32:24 PM »
Fox 25 BB.  The cylinder can be turned in 90 degree steps, even point forward.
Ah, I covered that one also!
MAAA AUS 73427

Offline Chris Wilson

• Admiral
« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2011, 08:55:24 PM »
Surely there must be some more rear exhaust engines out there?

How about the Enya 21 CLX, OS Max 46 VX, OS Max 21/25 XZ, Picco 21/45/90R (in fact the entire Picco range), and the best for last - the stunt Cyclon 60!
http://www.rusengines.ru/?lang=en
MAAA AUS 73427

Offline RandySmith

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
    • Aero Products
« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2011, 03:23:43 PM »
No, not really (check my last post!)

Hi Chris   I was only speaking of motors that worked for CL Stunt
There were special OPS SPA CL engines made for Stunt C/L that worked very well, many  people used them, and the Rossi 45 worked very well also

Maybe the St X40 worked OK..but the noise at 16,000 Rs  was  baddd   :( :o     and the COX maybe as a stretch  LL~

Regards
Randy

Offline Mike Greb

• Commander
« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2011, 04:34:43 PM »
If you look around, you could find one of the fine Fox rear exhaust 36 with the can muffler!

Offline Chris Wilson

• Admiral
« Reply #13 on: November 29, 2011, 05:38:11 PM »

Hi Chris   I was only speaking of motors that worked for CL Stunt
There were special OPS SPA CL engines made for Stunt C/L that worked very well, many  people used them, and the Rossi 45 worked very well also

Maybe the St X40 worked OK..but the noise at 16,000 Rs  was  baddd   :( :o     and the COX maybe as a stretch  LL~

Regards
Randy

Hey Randy,
                  yeah, I was just spewing out names back there but the more you dig the more you find and surprisingly enough there are quite a few RE engines out there!

The Super Tigre X40, have a mate with two of these and he would like to try one on a pipe some day - but probably not at 16 000 rpm though!

The OPS stunt engine, never seen or heard of one but then I have never seen an HP Gold Cup special used in stunt either but I believe that they were.

Cheers mate.
MAAA AUS 73427

Offline Martin Quartim

• 22 supporter
  • Captain
    • StuntHobby
« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2011, 03:01:47 PM »

At the time of the 40/46VF there was the Enya 45CXL, AAC construction, lighter then the VFs and with 144 exhaust timing. Unbelievably, seems no one has used this engine in C/L. Perhaps some in Downunder or Japan may have used one, who knows?

Martin

Offline Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #15 on: December 01, 2011, 03:54:56 PM »
At the time of the 40/46VF there was the Enya 45CXL, AAC construction, lighter then the VFs and with 144 exhaust timing. Unbelievably, seems no one has used this engine in C/L.

I recall someone trying it, but I can't recall the results. Enya doesn't have much of a rep in US stunt circles, and when you have an essentially perfect VF setup, and then PA and RO-Jetts, not a lot of motivation to go way off the reservation.

Brett

Offline proparc

• Admiral
« Reply #16 on: December 01, 2011, 03:58:44 PM »
   I recall someone trying it, but I can't recall the results. Enya doesn't have much of a rep in US stunt circles, and when you have an essentially perfect VF setup, and then PA and RO-Jetts, not a lot of motivation to go way off the reservation.

Brett

Whats the deal with the VF nowdays. Does OS still make them. If I am not mistaken, that was an "adapted" ducted fan setup that hit the big time in f2B.
Milton "Proparc" Graham

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #17 on: December 01, 2011, 04:07:42 PM »
Hey Randy,
(snip)
but then I have never seen an HP Gold Cup special used in stunt either but I believe that they were.

Cheers mate.

Hi Chris,

I have a new Gold Cup .40 that will be in a plane next season.  It is NIB but came from the factory missing the ring so I got it real cheap.  It has been set up for stunt.

Big Bear
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Just here for the fun of it also.
« Reply #18 on: December 01, 2011, 07:26:06 PM »
Here's an older RE Supertiger.

Yes, believe it or not, I'm considering strapping it on to something. Undecided?

CB

Trump Derangement Syndrome. TDS. 
Avaiojet Derangement Syndrome. ADS.
Amazing how ignorance can get in the way of the learning process.
If you're Trolled, you know you're doing something right.  Alpha Mike Foxtrot. "No one has ever made a difference by being like everyone else."  Marcus Cordeiro, The "Mark of Excellence," you will not be forgotten. "No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot."- Mark Twain. I look at the Forum as a place to contribute and make friends, some view it as a Realm where they could be King.   Proverb 11.9  "With his mouth the Godless destroys his neighbor..."  "Perhaps the greatest challenge in modeling is to build a competitive control line stunter that looks like a real airplane." David McCellan, 1980.

Offline Brian Hampton

• Captain
« Reply #19 on: December 01, 2011, 08:25:18 PM »
At the time of the 40/46VF there was the Enya 45CXL, AAC construction, lighter then the VFs and with 144 exhaust timing. Unbelievably, seems no one has used this engine in C/L. Perhaps some in Downunder or Japan may have used one, who knows?
Leo O'Reilly of Modelflight here in Adelaide was the agent for all Enya engines into Australia. I asked Leo if he would get a few in his next order but he couldn't do it because there was a minimum number of any engine required so they were never seen here. It's a shame Enya wasn't promoted better in the USA back in the 70's because they were at least the equal of the ST's for stunt (by which I mean the Enya 45 model 6001).

Offline Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #20 on: December 01, 2011, 11:28:12 PM »
Whats the deal with the VF nowdays. Does OS still make them. If I am not mistaken, that was an "adapted" ducted fan setup that hit the big time in f2B.

I think there were originally intended for small pattern airplanes. There were ducted fan versions of them but I think they were modified from the pattern version, not the other way around.

They haven't been made for at least 20 years and it may be bordering on 25. The reason we (well, I) still discuss them is that they are still widely available, and in many ways they are the standard by which the others are judged. We are still designing to the same standards - David's current airplane is for all intents and purposes is indistinguishable from an early 90's classic West coast 40VF plane. Keep it in the 60 oz range with a 40VF and you are giving up NOTHING as far as flight performance goes. In about 5 minutes there will be a bunch of people saying how stupid I am for saying that, but none of those people have managed to beat Paul Walker and his Impact/40VF , either. I may have lost track of it, but I think the *exact same airplane* won the 1990 and 2005 NATs. So we haven't managed to do any better over around 2 decades of trying.

I like the particular version and setup of the RO-Jett 61 entirely and precisely because *it runs like a gigantic 40VF*. In fact as soon as the Sun came out at this years TTs I wish I had brought a 40VF with me. At least I would have remembered how to set the needle, which is better than I managed with the 61 this time around!

Brett

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #21 on: December 02, 2011, 08:48:34 AM »
HI brett,

In my current situation, I am glad I kept my .40VFs!  We have a few PAs, but they will still be a while before any new ones are made..  I haven't used a RoJett, but that's just because I have only bought one "new" PA!  If I could find a good used Ro Jett at a reasonable (to me) price, I would try one.

I hope to rebuild my 1996 NATS plane and it used a .40VF, so it will again.

Bill
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

Trying to get by

Offline proparc

• Admiral
« Reply #22 on: December 02, 2011, 09:06:43 AM »
   I think there were originally intended for small pattern airplanes. There were ducted fan versions of them but I think they were modified from the pattern version, not the other way around.

They haven't been made for at least 20 years and it may be bordering on 25. The reason we (well, I) still discuss them is that they are still widely available, and in many ways they are the standard by which the others are judged. We are still designing to the same standards -  Keep it in the 60 oz range with a 40VF and you are giving up NOTHING as far as flight performance goes.
Brett

This cat is still current -Not happenin?

Milton "Proparc" Graham

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #23 on: December 02, 2011, 09:23:27 AM »
Hi Milt,

The DF suffix might mean a much higher timed version.  The original OS .40VF was also made in a "DF" (ducted fan) version but not used for stunt that I know of.

Bill
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

Trying to get by

Offline Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #24 on: December 02, 2011, 09:23:44 AM »

It's not the same. No one has bothered trying any of the newer-era OS engines, that I am aware of, since we all have PAs or RO-Jetts, with drawers and drawers of 40/46VFs rusting away if necessary. It may work but no one knows, and given that it would likely take roughly a year on average to work out a good setup for any new engine which may well turn out to be a waste, not a lot of motivation.

Everybody wants to fly electrics next anyway.

Brett

Offline Chris Wilson

• Admiral
« Reply #25 on: December 05, 2011, 02:28:17 PM »

Looks a lot like my MVVS 51!
MAAA AUS 73427

Offline proparc

• Admiral
« Reply #26 on: December 05, 2011, 03:58:17 PM »
This is going to be famous :) L

Looks like a Belko
Milton "Proparc" Graham

Offline ash

• Commander
    • I build guitars to pay for CL models!
« Reply #27 on: December 06, 2011, 06:19:14 AM »
Metkemeijer?

It looks like a giant F2C engine!
Adrian Hamilton - Auckland, NZ.

Offline Derek Barry

• Admiral
« Reply #28 on: December 06, 2011, 10:55:39 AM »

Everybody wants to fly electrics next anyway.

Brett

Hold up, not "everybody"....... >:D

Derek

Offline PJ Rowland

• AUS - 29541 AMA - 809970
  • Admiral
  • Melbourne - AUSTRALIA
« Reply #29 on: December 07, 2011, 11:50:10 PM »
Stalker .61 LT Longstroke is a nice little engine for RE. Wouldnt use it on anything larger than a classic ship.

Thats just me.

Derek : You mean your not sold on electrics??
If you always put limit on everything you do, physical or anything else. It will spread into your work and into your life. There are no limits. There are only plateaus, and you must not stay there, you must go beyond them.” - Bruce Lee.

I Yearn for a world where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned.

Offline Andrew Tinsley

• Admiral
« Reply #30 on: December 08, 2011, 04:01:20 AM »
I am with Derek on this one! I like cranky, dirty, IC engines. They are the main reason that I fly. If I had to fly electric, then I would give up. I am never going to win any competitions because I don't enter them. I am sure that there are many sports flyers that think the same way!

Andrew.
BMFA Number 64862

Offline Derek Barry

• Admiral
« Reply #31 on: December 08, 2011, 04:30:20 AM »
Stalker .61 LT Longstroke is a nice little engine for RE. Wouldnt use it on anything larger than a classic ship.

Thats just me.

Derek : You mean your not sold on electrics??

Ha Ha, I assume that was a joke PJ? I am with Andrew on this, I like the smell, sound and feel of IC. (no, I still have not flown an electric, I am sure it feels fine...)

D

Offline PJ Rowland

• Admiral
  • Melbourne - AUSTRALIA
« Reply #32 on: December 08, 2011, 05:12:26 AM »
You know it was derek!
 ;D

I like a smoke trail!
If you always put limit on everything you do, physical or anything else. It will spread into your work and into your life. There are no limits. There are only plateaus, and you must not stay there, you must go beyond them.” - Bruce Lee.

I Yearn for a world where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned.

Offline Derek Barry

• Admiral
« Reply #33 on: December 08, 2011, 06:30:42 AM »

I like a smoke trail!

Well, I have seen electrics make those. The only problem is when they let out all their smoke they don't work anymore. LL~

Offline Ward Van Duzer

• Admiral
« Reply #34 on: December 08, 2011, 07:11:31 AM »
In all this rhetoric did I miss the OS .25 VF? Even Randy didn't mention it...For shame!

And for all those "newbes", it was the OPS .40 that started all this insanity!

W   n~ 
I hate spelling errors, you mess up 2 letters and you are urined!

Don't hesitate to ask dumb questions.
They are easier to handle than dumb mistakes!  Ward-O AMA 6022

Offline Steve Fitton

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #35 on: December 08, 2011, 12:56:08 PM »
In all this rhetoric did I miss the OS .25 VF? Even Randy didn't mention it...For shame!

And for all those "newbes", it was the OPS .40 that started all this insanity!

W   n~ 

What do you do with a VF 25?
Steve

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #36 on: December 08, 2011, 03:37:30 PM »
What do you do with a VF 25?

Hi Steve,

You put it in a Stunter of about 50" span, with a pipe.  One has been published in FM (Eliminator) and planes like the Ares/Perroquet/Gieseke Nobler go extremely well with the .25VF piped set up. ;)

Big Bear
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

Trying to get by

Offline Chris Wilson

• Admiral
« Reply #37 on: December 08, 2011, 04:39:51 PM »
.............what other RE engines are there?

Taipan 3.5 glow (paradoxically the rare Taipan 40 really was a front exhaust!)
MAAA AUS 73427

Offline David Zwolak

• Ensign
« Reply #38 on: December 08, 2011, 06:31:51 PM »
From where, or who, are Stalker RE engines available now?  I heard a model builder in Canada was supplying them to the US for a while on special order.

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #39 on: December 08, 2011, 06:33:38 PM »
From where, or who, are Stalker RE engines available now?  I heard a model builder in Canada was supplying them to the US for a while on special order.

Hi David,

Kaz Minato is a distributor and a great guy to work with.  I don't have his contact info but I know plenty of people here do have it.

Bill
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

Trying to get by

Offline PJ Rowland

• Admiral
  • Melbourne - AUSTRALIA
« Reply #40 on: December 09, 2011, 04:26:55 PM »
I get my Stalker engines from Kaz - However I only use them for Classic now.

Derek : Tisk tisk...  n1  ;D

Offline Balsa Butcher

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
  • High Desert Flier
« Reply #41 on: December 09, 2011, 05:37:35 PM »
Alan Resinger is the Canadian source of Stalker engines. I bought a 51 from him and am very satisfied. I think he can be contacted on this forum through the members listing.  8)
Pete Cunha
Sacramento CA.
AMA 57499

Offline Brian Hampton

• Captain
« Reply #42 on: December 09, 2011, 06:49:52 PM »
I have quite a few RE engines (Irvines, OS, Stalker, Stass's, Taipan) but my latest is this Torpedo Special "Twin Stack" from the late 40's.

Offline Martin Quartim

• 22 supporter
  • Captain
    • StuntHobby
« Reply #43 on: December 10, 2011, 05:55:53 AM »
Hi Brian,

please post some pictures of the Irvine and Stass. Have never seen one of those.

Martin

Enya 45CXL AAC

Offline Brian Hampton

• Captain
« Reply #44 on: December 10, 2011, 07:34:21 AM »
The Irvine 61 is brand new and uses a Dykes ring, later versions were ABC and I think had a red head. The Irvine 40RLS uses a stunt timed liner and the red head to distinguish it from the normal RC version. AFAIK mine is the only one in Australia and it's the one used by Derek Pickard in a report he did for Aeromodeller magazine on piped engines for CL stunt. The SE exhaust Stass's is relatively common (they're listed on the Carlson site) but the RE version seems to be extremely rare, no amount of Googling finds any mention of them and I've asked on every forum but no-one has heard of them. I still have one lead to follow up on though. Note that the name is actually Stass's as can be seen on the crankcase. Apparently the RE was made for CL use only. One photo shows it with its exhaust stub in place.

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #45 on: December 10, 2011, 11:13:28 AM »
Alan Resinger is the Canadian source of Stalker engines. I bought a 51 from him and am very satisfied. I think he can be contacted on this forum through the members listing.  8)

Hi Pete,

I wasn't aware that Alan was a distributor for Stalker!  He IS a member here.

Bill
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

Trying to get by

Offline Martin Quartim

• 22 supporter
  • Captain
    • StuntHobby
« Reply #46 on: December 11, 2011, 04:33:36 PM »
The Irvine 61 is brand new and uses a Dykes ring, later versions were ABC and I think had a red head. The Irvine 40RLS uses a stunt timed liner and the red head to distinguish it from the normal RC version. AFAIK mine is the only one in Australia and it's the one used by Derek Pickard in a report he did for Aeromodeller magazine on piped engines for CL stunt. The SE exhaust Stass's is relatively common (they're listed on the Carlson site) but the RE version seems to be extremely rare, no amount of Googling finds any mention of them and I've asked on every forum but no-one has heard of them. I still have one lead to follow up on though. Note that the name is actually Stass's as can be seen on the crankcase. Apparently the RE was made for CL use only. One photo shows it with its exhaust stub in place.

Hi Brian,

Thanks for the nice pictures. The Irvine engines looks very interesting.

Martin

Offline Allan Perret

• Admiral
  • Proverbs
« Reply #47 on: December 12, 2011, 08:14:22 AM »
Hi Brian,

please post some pictures of the Irvine and Stass. Have never seen one of those.

Martin

Enya 45CXL AAC

45CXL, is this a current engine with Enya ?
Allan Perret
AMA 302406
Slidell, Louisiana

John Leidle

« Reply #48 on: December 17, 2011, 08:30:20 AM »
 I have purchased 2 Stalkers from Alan. Quick turn around .. nice guy.
  John

Offline Chris Wilson

• Admiral
« Reply #49 on: December 19, 2011, 05:21:54 PM »
AP Hornet 09 and 15.
MAAA AUS 73427

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here