News:

• May 22, 2024, 12:52:20 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Re-bushing an engine.  (Read 1788 times)

Offline Bob Zambelli

• 21 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain
Re-bushing an engine.
« on: February 15, 2008, 05:11:29 AM »
I posted this a while back and a few people have asked me about it - so, allow me to repeat myself!!!

I just performed this operation on a McCoy redhead and  was very pleased with the results.

Bob Z.

When I was building high performance overhead cam engines, I used valve guides made from silicone/aluminum/bronze. The material was later improved to manganese bronze alloy and is now available as stock valve guides for ALFA Romeo. The alloy is engineered to act as an interface bearing material between aluminum and steel, as in our plain bushing engines. It is compatible with any lubricant and extremely resistant to wear from sliding and rotation. The beauty of the guides is that they are perfect size for making front bushings! 

They are available from International Auto Parts (800 953 0813/434 973 0555). The manganese bronze guides, #37253000 or #37252000 are $4.95 each. If you want standard bronze, which is also a very good material, you can get #10700000 for $1.50.

Installation is simple (Assuming you have a lathe).

1)   Measure the protrusion of the original bushing into the case.
2)   Set the case up very accurately and carefully bore out the old bushing just until all the bronze has been removed.
3)   Machine the OD of the guide for an interference fit of .0005è.001” (any more could split the case). Be sure and leave a shoulder of the dimension in (1)
4)   Heat the case to around 250°F and freeze the new bushing.
5)   Quickly assemble from inside – the bushing should slip right in. A light tap with a plastic hammer is a good idea.
6)   Machine the intake port into the bushing.
7)   Set up for final boring/reaming. This step is critical: Before you bore, indicate to insure that the new bushing bore C/L is PERPENDICULAR to the cylinder bore. If you’re off 1°, you might have problems with connecting rod wear.
8)   Check/measure the main journal of the crank – if it is out-of-round by more than .001, consider a new one. Also, it would not hurt to polish the wearing surfaces with crocus cloth.
9)   Finally, ream the new bushing to the proper ID such the crank JUST SLIPS IN. Double check dimension (1)

I sent some of these guides to George Aldrich to restore the old sand-cast Foxes. We were considering writing an article but------ well, you know.

As I final note, I would avoid standard “Oilite” bushings. They work well for pure rotation but the impact loads imparted to the crank will prevent long life.

Hope this helps!

Bob Z

Offline Dave Denison

• Commander
Re: Re-bushing an engine.
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2008, 07:01:37 PM »
BOB.

A great article!!  This is super info, I have a need to repair two Redheads.

What is your favorite way to "grow" a piston say .0001~2?  Look forward to your reply. y1

REGARDS.   DAVE.
Regards
Dave

ama 41041

Offline Keith Polzin

• Ensign
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2008, 09:33:46 PM »

What ya think about melting babbit in to the bushing and reaming
 to fit ?

Keith

Offline Bob Zambelli

• 21 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2008, 05:59:55 AM »
Hi, Dave - thanks for the compliment. Hope the process works for you.
Regarding growing a piston - I have never tried it but I recall reading about it on another site - possibly Leonard's - where a fellow put a McCoy .35 piston in a toaster oven and heated it to around 400 F.
You might be able to access that info - it'd be interesting to see it again.

Another thing I was told - a few light taps on the domed crown of a McCoy piston would expand it a bit.  n~

The only problem that I see with any type of growing is that we're still dealing with a (piston) material that is prone to wear. I would think therefore that any fixes would be short term.

Keith - what a neat idea!!! I never thought about using babbit but it might just be the ultimate "fits all" material.
I understand that it's quite easy to work with and has quite a low melting temperature.
At present, I'm in the process of moving to South Carolina and all my machinery is packed BUT - as soon as I'm set up in my new shop, I'll be ready to go.

So, here's an offer you can't refuse: See if you can dig up a worn engine and some babbit and send them to me. I will perform the operation and and return the engine to you. Then, you can run it a while and see how it lasts. If all goes well, I will include it in my Z-Tech tips in CL World.

By the way, my Father's first job out of high school was pouring babbit in truck connecting rods. Eight hours per day, $11.00 per week!!!

THANKS AGAIN!!!!

Bob Z.

Offline Russell Shaffer

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2008, 09:48:49 AM »
Bob, just remember to do your babbit operation in a well ventilated area.  Lead fumes, of course. 
Russell Shaffer
Klamath Falls, Oregon
Just North of the California border

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2008, 11:24:00 AM »
Bob referred to the McCoy Red Head broiling operation.  I have done it, and it did return SOME compression..... not a lot, and it will probably last no longer than the original life span.  IIRC, 500* for 30 minutes, air cool.  It doesn't add a LOT though, but it did get an otherwise useless engine running again.  More of a *science project* in my opinion than a means to return an engine to long time service..  Knurling the piston might do a better job, but it too seems like a short term fix.

Best thing is to get it chromed!
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Offline Dave Denison

• Commander
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2008, 06:50:07 PM »
BOB and BILL.

Thanks for the ideas and feedback.  I did read an article on Lenard's site to do the 400 Degs. in the oven thing. But I too agree, that chroming the piston is the real cure. Appreciate all the info. y1

REGARDS.    DAVE
Regards
Dave

ama 41041

Offline Keith Polzin

• Ensign
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2008, 10:31:25 PM »
  You got yourself a deal. PM Addy.
 Keith

(Fox 35)

Offline Lyle Spiegel

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2008, 03:10:08 PM »
Good luck trying to get the babbit alloy to metallurgically bond to the original bronze bushing- I'm a welding engineer/ metallurgist- and deal with babbitt for large turbines-
You will need to clean the bronze very well and then preheat and then "pre- tin" the surface of the bronze  bushing before you atempt to pour in any molten babbitt. You can pre- tin using a tin-lead solder with flux - then you need to neutralize and wash out the flux residue. Before you try to static pour the babbitt you will need to preheat the bronze bushing to a point just below where the pre tin will begin to melt.
Good luck on this.
Lyle
Lyle Spiegel AMA 19775

Offline Rob Killick

• 2013 Supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2008, 05:44:37 PM »
Hi ,

Concerning "bonding" the babbit to the bronze ...
Where I work (machine shop) we pour and machine babbit bearings for some of our higher speed electric motors . To retain them in the bronze , brass or cast steel shells , we turn radial , square grooves in the non babbit shell(s) .
Of course we'er dealing with a lot smaller surface areas , with the model engines , so I'm not sure if this approach would work ?
Rob Killick , MAAC 33300

Offline Bob Zambelli

• 21 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2008, 05:24:22 AM »
Hi, Lyle & Rob - OK, you've shown me the light.

Seems like my original idea might just be the most practical.

With the price of some of the newer imported lathes, more hobbyists can set up to do their own machine work.

If you're on the market, try Harbor Freight. I bought one of my lathes there and for around $800.00 delivered, I got a decent light-duty machine that will cut both metric and English threads.

Bob Z.

Offline Bob Zambelli

• 21 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2008, 05:32:17 AM »
For anyone interested,

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=39743

I plan to buy one as soon as I'm situated in SC.

Bob Z.

Offline don Burke

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2008, 09:18:14 AM »
I've had three lathes, currently an ENCO (china) 9 x 20. The others were 16x40 Victor, and 4" china model.  All the "china" models come from the same factory.

The Victor was of course the best of the best, but I had to give it up when I moved to smaller digs.  The 9x20 is adequate but not great.  The smaller machines all suffer from stability of the cross slides.  The quality of assembly suffers due to the cost of manufacture.  There's something to be said about the mass of the machine leading to stability of use.

I had so many problems taking other than a couple of 1/1000ths cut with the 4" I would avoid one of those like the plague! 

And I always like to say, you can make a small part on a big machine, but you can't make a big part on a small machine.

don Burke AMA 843
Menifee, CA

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here