News:

• May 04, 2024, 05:47:47 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: RC to CL - How about CL to RC??????  (Read 629 times)

Offline Bob Zambelli

• 21 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain
RC to CL - How about CL to RC??????
« on: December 11, 2006, 06:58:52 AM »
I was in a tinkering mood yesterday and I decided to satisfy an old curiosity, mainly the title of this thread.   :!

I opened up a new Brodak .40 and procured an OS FP carb, graciously loaned to me by George Waters. After removing the Brodak venturi and NVA, I took a few cursory measurements and found that the carb would need a very slight modification to fit (I did not want to modify the engine case).   n1 n1

It took all of 15 minutes to alter the carb and it was a perfect fit.   ;D

I then put it on the test stand and ran it in per the supplied instructions.

After approximately 30 minutes of run-in time, I checked its behavior as a throttled engine. 

I could not have been more pleased with the results. With an 11-5 Top Flite wood, it ran perfectly from around 3,800 to 9,800 RPM, with excellent response anywhere in between.  j1 j1

So, why did I really do this? To encourage people to get into RC???? Nahhhhhhhhhhhhhh - you all know me better than that.

As many of you must have noticed, there is a lot of recent interest in CL scale - all the way from Fun to Precision. Lots of profile planes for this size engine. Many if not all people use three-line systems for engine speed control.

So, why not take one of the most popular CL engines on the market and apply it to use in scale?   y1 y1

Actually, a great many of the CL flyers also dabble in RC - here is just another alternate powerplant.

Besides, it was fun to tinker!!!!!!

Bob Z.

« Last Edit: January 24, 2007, 01:44:35 PM by Bob Zambelli »

Offline Glen Wearden

• Commander
Re: RC to CL - How about CL to RC??????
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2006, 07:41:23 AM »
Bob, did you set it up with muffler pressure?  Glen
Glen Wearden

Offline Bob Zambelli

• 21 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2006, 09:21:46 AM »
Hi, Glen - no, because the need for muffler pressure would depend on how it's configured in the aircraft.

Besides, the engine was new and only on a test stand.

Since I have minimal experience with throttle setups, I'm not sure how it would behave at low speed settings.

Bob Z.

Offline Manuel Cortes

• Commander
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2006, 11:10:38 AM »
Hello all.
I´ve made some time ago the same experiment with schnuerle (stunt timed) control line engines. When RC, they only "four stroke" slightly in the transition from iddle to full open, but it was even nice to me!!!
And they pulled easier a 1" bigger prop than the stock RC unit.
Regards.
Manuel

Offline Jim Kraft

• Admiral
  • AMA78415
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2006, 06:38:29 PM »
I did this a few years ago, but kind of backwards. I had an OS 40 FP that I had changed the timing on the transfer ports, and blocked the boost port. This engine ran a really nice four stroke. I also flew this same engine in a little R/C bipe after adding a carb, and the guys at the R/C field, after hearing it cruise by in a four stroke, wanted to know what four stroke engine it was. They could not believe it when I landed, and they saw it was a two stroke. They had never heard a model engine run that way before. Back when I first started flying R/C pattern comp., we all ran our old non schnuerle engines in a four stroke in level flight, leaning to a two in a climb, just like controline. Late 60's early 70's.
Jim Kraft

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here