News:

• May 03, 2024, 02:14:46 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Randy Smith, TT36?  (Read 988 times)

Offline Bob Reeves

• 2016 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
    • Somethin'Xtra Inc.
Randy Smith, TT36?
« on: January 21, 2010, 02:42:38 PM »
Randy,

Maybe you can shed a little light on this.. Several of us in the club are going to play Carrier next season and are using TT 36's. We have accumulated 6 engines and seem to have two versions. An earlier version and the latest version. We have found the latest version has about a 2-300 RPM edge over the earlier version Running the same fuel, carb and prop.

Just wondering what the difference might be and if you know if they changed the timing or? Also don't you replace the P&L when you build an Aerotiger? How many stock P&L's do you have laying around  ;)

Offline RandySmith

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
    • Aero Products
Re: Randy Smith, TT36?
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2010, 07:28:15 PM »
Randy,

Maybe you can shed a little light on this.. Several of us in the club are going to play Carrier next season and are using TT 36's. We have accumulated 6 engines and seem to have two versions. An earlier version and the latest version. We have found the latest version has about a 2-300 RPM edge over the earlier version Running the same fuel, carb and prop.

Just wondering what the difference might be and if you know if they changed the timing or? Also don't you replace the P&L when you build an Aerotiger? How many stock P&L's do you have laying around  ;)

Hi Bob

The TT 36 has went thru many changes, the shaft timing and sleeve timing has been changed a very slight amount, the head, case, and bearings size and type has been changed also. Why the new ones may turn 300 more RPMs could very well be the newest ones have phenolic beaings instead of the stamped steel caged ones.
Also the new ones have a shorter crankshaft and a larger front bearing
I have all parts for the engines

Randy

Offline Bob Reeves

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Somethin'Xtra Inc.
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2010, 07:34:30 AM »
Thanks Randy,

Guess this means we are stuck with the performance of the older engines. Not really a big deal as this is a for-fun venture with all of us and a couple hundred RPM isn't worth going to allot of trouble for.

Regards
Bob

Offline RandySmith

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • Aero Products
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2010, 08:25:37 AM »
Thanks Randy,

Guess this means we are stuck with the performance of the older engines. Not really a big deal as this is a for-fun venture with all of us and a couple hundred RPM isn't worth going to allot of trouble for.

Regards
Bob

Hi Bob

Not really  ;you can put one together hand fitted with hi speed bearings and make sure the P/S is a great fit, this will give you uo to maybe 500 Rs

Randy

Offline Bob Reeves

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Somethin'Xtra Inc.
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2010, 02:38:16 PM »
Had no idea bearings would make that much difference...

Offline RandySmith

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • Aero Products
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2010, 03:26:19 PM »
The 2 to 300 RPMs  you are seeing now is most likley due to the New phenolic bearing that TT is now using. I have seen as much as 500 RPM increase in several motors by chuckin gthe old stamped cage cheap bearing with a C-3 series phenolic. Some report that the new ceramics bearings will give even more

Randy

Offline RandySmith

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • Aero Products
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2010, 02:12:35 PM »
I have all parts for the Motors as well as the standard bearings, phenolic caged ones, and the C-3 series hi speed phenolic ones

Randy

Offline Bob Reeves

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Somethin'Xtra Inc.
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2010, 05:07:46 PM »
Thanks Randy, I am using the older version and have access to a couple more just like it. When I get some mad money I'll be back in touch for a set of bearings. Would sure be interesting to install bearings in one and see what it does. I have ran all 3 on the test stand and all 3 were turning a 9-6 at 15200, newer engines will turn the exact same prop at 15500.

Two guys in the club will have a 300 RPM advantage on the high end but hoping I can get them on the low end  y1

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here