News:

• April 30, 2024, 10:36:21 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Q for Randy on Enya 61CXS Pro  (Read 1591 times)

Offline Mike Scholtes

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Q for Randy on Enya 61CXS Pro
« on: July 04, 2009, 01:29:51 PM »
I have a 61CXS Pro in  64-Oz Score. It flies well on a 12x5 Zinger Pro but my guess is this engine wants more prop. I tried an APC 13x4W and now a Zinger 13x5. I have an APC 13x6 with thin blades that may work. It would help to know what kind of run this engine is designed for: is it intended for a lower rpm with more pitch, or a higher rpm with flatter pitch, like the PA series? It seems happy around 9000 or less. Since Randy sells this engine I bet he has some good advice on props and rpm.

Offline Martin Quartim

• 22 supporter
  • Captain
    • StuntHobby
Re: Q for Randy on Enya 61CXS Pro
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2009, 09:33:30 PM »
Hi Mike,

Randy is out to the NATS and he may take some time to answer this.

But I am curious about your findings with the APC 13x4W.

If I am not mistaken in the Enya manual they say the engine like to run 11 to 12 thousand rpms with a composite prop for fly wheel effect.

After I email you, I was advised by an expert to avoid APC props, he warned me that they can break and recommended using Zinger Pros instead. I am worried because I like APC after carbon fiber props.

Good luck,

Martin
Old Enya's never die, they just run stronger!

https://www.youtube.com/user/martinSOLO

Offline Mike Scholtes

• Admiral
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2009, 01:29:24 PM »
Hi Martin:

I forgot that Randy would be at the Nats. As for APC coming apart I have never seen or heard of such a thing happening. I have however had a Zinger Pro wood prop throw half a blade and just about vibrate the engine off the plane before I could shut it off. I have access to a selection of Mejzlic Modellbau carbon props in 2 and 3 blade that I intend to try. A 12x4 or 13x4 3-blade would probably be about right assuming the engine wants to run at around 10,000. The APC 13x4W may still work but the engine did not seem happy with it in the couple of flights I put on it. I will keep experimenting. I know what the Enya manual says but I would still like to hear from Randy on this subject.

Offline RandySmith

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
    • Aero Products
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2009, 09:19:22 PM »
Hi Mike

I would suggest first  starting with an Pro Z 13 x 5, this is a good all around prop for that motor.

Regard
Randy

Offline Mike Scholtes

• Admiral
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2009, 09:55:59 PM »
Thanks Randy, I will give it a go with the 13-5. My supposition is that it wants to run a little less rpm, around mid-8000s. I also will try some of the Mejzlik props, like the 12.5 x 5.2 3-blade intended for non-piped 50-60 engines.

On a different subject my local flying pal has an Enya 32 rear exhaust that we are going to experiment with. No idea yet what size model it will pull but a Vector 40 is probably a real good starting point.

Offline Martin Quartim

• 22 supporter
  • Captain
    • StuntHobby
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2009, 12:11:57 AM »
Hi Randy,

I hope you and my other friends are getting some good air at the NATS.

I tell ya we have tested one Enya 61CX that must be very special motor then, or you didn't tell me the muffler you sent me had a turbo installed on it!

The Zinger Pro 13x5 didn't load the engine enough by far, we had to needle it very very rich to keep laps at 5.2s and it burps like a FOX 35 in the inside corners, so much so that it seems almost to stop the model in the air. Amazingly is that the engine never ran away and it kept the needle setting perfectly through out the flight no matter if extremely rich, very rich or when it was right on the money.

Using the 13x5 zinger pro and setting the needle where the engine ran smooth we were getting laps around 4.6s and that was with a draggy B.W P-47 with over 70oz.

This engine was sold and later used on a Strega that Windy flew here in Brazil. Windy made several positive comments about it, even though it was not set in the best way. For lack of proper advice Raul end up getting a B.E 12.5x5.5 3blade and of course his Strega went ballistic. He had to set his lines  71' eye to eye to get laps at 4.9~5.0s. Still he had to launch extremely rich, so rich that the engine would quit in the inside corners with a T.B Plug, only an Enya 3 kept it running. At this contest he flew in some pretty strong and turbulent wind and the Enya 61CX pulled the Strega like it was a toy,  but with a very wild 4-2-4 run.

The best and smoothest run I have seen this engine do was with a Bolly 13x4.5 3 blade prop, 8.0mm venturi, 10% Nitro 22% oil and with your tube muffler. The prop had a 3.7~3.8 pitch and ohhh the  4-2-4 was so nice and it kept the P-47 flying precisely.

Martin

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2009, 09:51:53 AM »
Martin,  hope you guys remember that line length is 70 feet max center of plane to center of handle.  A few guys were upset at the NATS when told they had to cut their lines.  I know a lot of contests just figure everyone knows the rules.  Also have you tried a different fuel with more oil or less nitro?  Another thing is to choke the venturi down a little so you are not getting so much power.  There are so many things to consider when trimming planes.  Have fun and keep us posted,  DOC Holliday
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Martin Quartim

• 22 supporter
  • Captain
    • StuntHobby
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2009, 02:15:20 PM »
Martin,  hope you guys remember that line length is 70 feet max center of plane to center of handle.  A few guys were upset at the NATS when told they had to cut their lines.  I know a lot of contests just figure everyone knows the rules.  Also have you tried a different fuel with more oil or less nitro?  Another thing is to choke the venturi down a little so you are not getting so much power.  There are so many things to consider when trimming planes.  Have fun and keep us posted,  DOC Holliday

you bet! As matter of fact Windy said the same thing. We also know that flying with shorter lines it would be much better, it was one of those things that you do in a hurry to get it going. After that contest we tried to get the right props from Bolly and B.E , but it was too late and he decided to sell the Strega. I was glad he did because I beat him easily in the last two contests and before he was always 2 positions at least ahead of me ;D

The Strega/Enya 61 is with a higher skilled pilot now, and his score went up with it. He had a Skywriter /ST 60 before and confirmed the Enya 61CX is a far better engine, no comparison, it is an different class of power and performance. The Strega seems nothing for the Enya 61CX; now the old ST 60 could not handle the Strega with any authority.

For lack of other props , his setup is even worst, in my opinion. He is using a Bolly 12.5x.5.5 2B depitched to 5 if I am not mistaken, fuel with 0% nitro and 25% all castor.  He is complaining about the strong burp in the inside corners. But is very happy with the engine run overall that is much better then an ST60. I have urged him not to run all castor in this engine, but he doesn’t care. I am sure eventually his engine will not performing as well.

I sent him an APC 14x4W for him to try but haven't heard anything back from him. I will also try to get Zinger Pro 14x4 and JXF 14x4 to try.

BTW, I own the only hobby shop dedicated to Stunt products in Brazil, so that’s why I am always involved in helping others getting products down here.

Martin

« Last Edit: July 08, 2009, 03:00:48 PM by Martin Quartim »

Offline Martin Quartim

• 22 supporter
  • Captain
    • StuntHobby
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2009, 02:57:54 PM »
Mike,

If you allow me I would like to make a few comments about this, and hope Randy can add some more info or correct me if I am wrong.

8000 rpm is a good range for a baffle piston engine llike ST 60, Stalkers, Retro, Enya 60III, Double Star and the alike.

The Enya 61CX will probably work well at 8000rpm and it is your choice to run it any way it is best for you. However at this rpm range it will not run as good as in higher rpms.The Enya 61CX is an R/C timed engine and it will develop the best power and torque at higher rpms.

Enya's R/C timing is great for stunt and it works very well for our application without the need to have it re-timed. Other engines that are R/C timed and well known for our application is the OS 40VF and Magnum 36XLS just to name a couple, and they work best at much higher rpms then 8000.

For example, we have tried 12x6, 12x5, 12.5x5.5 with the Enya SS50 it run ok but nothing impressive, as matter of fact it felt weak. But when we tried the APC 12.25x3.75 oh man the engine became alive. It matched the ST 60 in power and stunt characteristics that was installed before on the Derringer. With the APC 12.25 prop we had to add a head shim and restrict the venturi a bit. I bet it will swing larger diamater props and it will produce even more power then an ST 60.

I just hope this information can help you and other readers to fine tune their Enya engines.

Martin
« Last Edit: July 08, 2009, 03:42:06 PM by Martin Quartim »

Offline Mike Scholtes

• Admiral
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2009, 10:03:43 PM »
Hi Martin:

Flew the Score yesterday and today with Zinger 13x5 (regular square tip Zinger, not "Pro"), Sig 10-10-12 fuel, temp around 75-80F, launch rpm 8600-8900. Nice solid runs. I did change out the Enya plug to a Thunderbolt idle-bar RC plug which improved things. Wind got too blustery to try the Mejzlik 12.5x5.2 3-blade, so that will have to wait till next weekend. If the engine appears to want more revs I will try the 12.5x4.5 3-blade. I will report back after the next round of experiments.

Offline Martin Quartim

• 22 supporter
  • Captain
    • StuntHobby
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2009, 11:47:22 PM »
Hi Mike

tanks for sharing your experiences with the Enya 61CX. I wish people would write more about this and other new engines that came into the market recently.

Are you using the stock muffler or Randy's ?

Some of the 61CX came with the M501CX muffler with a baffle inside that robs a lot of power and others  come with the M351X muffler without the baffle. Also some engines came from factory with the exhaust exit hole enlarged and other not, this variations  can make the engine run very differently one from another.

If you got the muffler with the baffle you can take it off and see what works better.

Martin

Offline Mike Scholtes

• Admiral
« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2009, 12:11:42 PM »
Hi Martin:

I am using the Randy Smith tube muffler, very little resistance. Actually I use that muffler on most of my engines. The Enya 40ZXP (which I have run in but don't have in a plane yet) comes with a nice fairly small muffler. I don't like the noise level with a tongue muffler.

The Mejzlik prop is mounted on the 61. I will try it this coming weekend.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here