News:

• May 14, 2024, 09:07:52 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Propeller Question  (Read 600 times)

Offline Allen Eshleman

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain
Propeller Question
« on: February 18, 2011, 04:43:12 AM »
Propellers come in different shapes and sizes.   Recently, with some experimentation I began to get my best B-40 performance on a Smoothie with an 11-6 Top Flite Power Point prop.  (which by the way, are out of stock at Tower). However, I started to think.   APC's have a much wider blade.  I haven't tried this yet.  Here's the question.

Would a prop with a wider blade and lower pitch such as an APC 11-4 or 11-5 pull equally as well?

Offline FLOYD CARTER

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • owner
Re: Propeller Question
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2011, 01:17:53 PM »
APC props generally work well or better than the same size wood props.  However, they are heavy. A B-40 in a Smoothie seems to be plenty of power but watch the balance with the heavy APC!

Floyd
90 years, but still going (mostly)
AMA #796  SAM #188  LSF #020

Offline dennis lipsett

• Admiral
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2011, 04:56:36 PM »
I have been using slightly worked Zinger Pro 11/4 props on a Brodak 40 on an Umland excalibur with good success. The engine runs very well with this prop and milage is excellent.
Dennis

Offline Brian Massey

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
    • California Car Clubs
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2011, 11:27:27 AM »
Allen; When I finished my Sig Super Chipmonk (51.5 oz and a B40) I was using a Master Airscrew 11/6, and was happy with the performance. I don't remember why I decided to try an RSM 10/6, (oh yes I do, my brother gave me one) but did. A huge leap in performance. I think the 11/6 was overloading the engine; the 10/6 removed some load and allowed the B40 to give me a much better 4/2 break. Since then I've tried a Vess 10/6 and an old Top flite paddle blade 10/6. The Top flite gave very similar performance to the RSM, buyt the Vess didn't put enough load on the engine and I had to run the engine about 800 rpm faster and lost the great 4-2 break.

Brian
While flying the pattern, my incompetence always exceeds my expectations.

AMA 55421
Madera, CA

Offline Chris Wilson

• Admiral
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2011, 03:35:42 PM »
Propellers come in different shapes and sizes.   Recently, with some experimentation I began to get my best B-40 performance on a Smoothie with an 11-6 Top Flite Power Point prop.  (which by the way, are out of stock at Tower). However, I started to think.   APC's have a much wider blade.  I haven't tried this yet.  Here's the question.

Would a prop with a wider blade and lower pitch such as an APC 11-4 or 11-5 pull equally as well?

Maybe this site will shed some light on the question of a wider blade, just download the PDF and plough through it!
http://www.supercoolprops.com/articles/compressibility.php

Good luck and good reading.
MAAA AUS 73427

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.
 Nothing in life is so exhilarating as to be shot at without result.  It's not enough that we do our best; sometimes we have to do what's required

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here