News:

• April 30, 2024, 08:30:29 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Proparc Saito 40A Break-in Pictures  (Read 1351 times)

Offline proparc

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Proparc Saito 40A Break-in Pictures
« on: November 01, 2006, 06:49:50 PM »
As I promised Bob Zambelli, I would take pictures and write a report of the break-in of my new Saito 40A for the 4 stroke forum.  This is part one of a two part report.  The initial engine run took place on 10/29/06.  As the pictures show, I used 2 different glow plugs; a Saito 4 stroke plug and an OS Max F plug, and 2 different size props.  The props were; Master Airscrew 10x6 and 11x6 prepped and balanced. 

The 40A appears to be somewhat quieter without a muffler than a typical 2 stroke with a muffler.  It is very quiet at idle.  Hand starting with a PROPER battery seems to be about the same as most stunt 2 strokes.  But then, I have had a long time to develop my technique so that may not be such a valid comparison. 

The fuel economy even at this early date is ridiculous.  I can’t imagine what the fuel consumption will be like when the motor is fully broken in.  By the time you’ve finished a gallon of fuel, you will be as good as Paul Walker!!

The Saito 40A is a VERY different motor than the Saito 72.  The 40A is the traditional, stereotypical 4 stroke.  That is, it is the high torque, big prop swinging, 4 banger that we associate with 4 stroke characteristics.  My Saito 72 is the EXACT opposite.  The model I have is the early, hot cam, high compression, smaller prop, high rpm, specialty motor in the Saito line. 

While I will check them side by side, the Saito appears to have the Supertigre 46 beat hands down.  But, alas, the 40A just cannot match the ST46 for smoothness.  I honestly believe that the Supertigre 46 may be one of the smoothest, sweetest running stunt motors ever developed.

The reason for the pictures of the hobby shop and the 1.5 volt battery is because of what I have always know, 4 stroke plugs are Nicad killers!!  Firstly, the 1.2 volts aren’t doing much to begin with, and second, the element in the 4 stroke plugs pretty much takes care of the rest.

The 40A was becoming difficult to start as the session went on AS EXPECTED, and finally, I pulled the plug to see that the stinking Nicad driver was barely igniting the plug.  A trip out to Hobby People in Camarillo, CA; one 1.5 volt Hobby battery later, and presto, the battery lit up the Saito and OS Max plug like a Christmas tree.  The Saito sprang to life on every start.

As to my first impressions of the 40A; it has tremendous power for its size.  While it doesn’t have the “shock and awe” of the 72, (hey, it’s a 40!) the motor is a straight up stump puller.  It is absolutely in a totally different class than the LA 40, Brodak 40 etc.  I would place it somewhere in the class of the Rossi Sport 40,OS Max FX 40 RC, and the MVVS 40 RC.

It appears that in order to extract that power, unlike the aforementioned motors, you’ve got to go diameter.  While I haven’t decided what prop I will use for flying with the 40A, one thing is for sure, that diameter is going to have an 11 in the front!!

Milton G. Graham
« Last Edit: November 01, 2006, 07:22:38 PM by proparc »
Milton "Proparc" Graham

Offline proparc

• Admiral
Re: Proparc Saito 40A Break-in Pictures
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2006, 04:29:35 PM »
This is the second and final report on the Saito 40A break-in.  The motor has nothing short of tremendous torque.  In fact, I would go as far as to say that the 40A appears to be more powerful for its size than my 72. 

This particular 40A came well set-up by the factory and passed all my initial checks without any adjustments or modifications - nice touch.  My 40A needs a somewhat tighter valve spec than my 72. The head configuration on the 2 motors is different.  That is fine with me, as I will set them anywhere I can get the motor to go through the pattern reliably.

Right now, the motor will just barely hold a reliable 2500 rpm idle and that is because the fuel does not have enough nitro in it to keep the plug lit below these figures, (the fuel is for my high compression 72).  I haven’t taken it up much beyond 8,000 rpm and don’t really plan to at this point in time, as it is still new.  In addition, I don’t think it is necessary to run the motor much above those rpm’s because that is not where it makes it power. 

The fuel economy of this motor is nothing short of unbelievable.  Where as, you pretty much need a full gallon to break in a Saito 72, the 40A can probably get by on half a gallon before careful first flights. My 40A just loves the oily, high lubricity custom fuel that I use, and a slightly higher nitro version of this fuel is what I will be using.  As for props, anything under 11” diameter appears to be a waste of time and power.

It is my opinion that the breather nipple in the 40A position, (front side high) does a better job of lubricating the “front end” of the motor than the breather nipple position of the 72, (front middle low).  To no surprise, the 40A appears to be breaking in faster than the 72, no doubt due to smaller all around bearing surfaces.

I found absolutely no discernible operating difference between the new Saito 4 stroke plug and the venerable OS Max F plug.  That said, one of the main differences between the OF Max and other 4 stroke plugs is LIFE SPAN!!  All things being equal, you are still far better off with the OS plug because it is less likely to crap out on you in the middle of an overhead eight.  The OS Max plug in my Saito 72 has been operating reliably for the last 5 years!  Among RC flyers, they don’t debate this, if its 4 strokes of any brand except YS, its OS Max on the plugs, period.

The one thing that has been definitive for me has been the use of the “old school” 1.5 volt hobby battery as opposed to the modern 1.2 volt nicad drivers on the 4 stroke plugs.  It has been my experience that four stroke motors need a hot, bright light to get the party started and the 1.5 volt battery simply delivers.

If I was going to “pick planes” for the small block, right off the bat, I would look at ships with thicker than normal airfoils.  Ideal ships for this motor would be a Skylark, a profile Cardinal, maybe even a scaled down Patternmaster; or planes where the venerable Supertigre 46 would normally get the call. I would avoid ships like some of the Old time legal planes, like the Barnstormer, Tucker Special, Jamison Special etc.  It’s my feeling that this is just too much motor for this class of plane.

The big question, would I put a 40A in a Nobler?  You bet!!  A well built Nobler, say a good kit or scratch built version; forget the ARF, would absolutely be deadly. Granted, you are going to have to hang it out at the end of some relatively long lines, but, if I wanted a combo for serious local Classic and Expert work, this would have to rank right at the top.

In summation: If you are serious about obtaining first time 4 stroke experience, I can’t see any better route then the Saito 40A. While the motor is no longer officially imported into the Unites States, you can still readily obtain them direct from Kaz Minato.  Money well spent.

Milton G. Graham

Milton "Proparc" Graham

Offline Gordon Tarbell

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2006, 06:31:28 AM »
Contact info for Kaz Minato ?
Gordon Tarbell AMA 15019

Offline Greg L Bahrman

• Captain
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2006, 10:24:12 AM »
bluemax.minato@nifty.ne.jp
FOR KAZ

I bought carbon props from Kaz and my dealings were via e-mails and payment was done with a credit card. Service was good, I think it took about a week which I thought was really fast considering the distance and yes if I remember correctly the exchange rate was in a continual state of flux so he warned that his quoted price would differ by whatever the exchange rate was either up or down. I was left with the feeling that he was straight with me and I would/will deal with him again when the need arises. We also have access to the exchange rates on the internet and I checked the rates and he was right on. The carbon props I got were 3 blade Modusa's and the quality is first class or the best I have ever seen. They were recommended to me by another poster "Ron King". They look better that either Brian Eather or the Bolly's. I have not tried them yet. They will go on my Ro Jett 61 side exhaust that's in my Sig Magnum. He has the same engine and uses these props..........Later, Greg
« Last Edit: November 05, 2006, 05:01:12 PM by Greg L Bahrman »
Greg Bahrman, AMA 312522
Simi Valley, Ca.

Online Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2006, 03:22:58 PM »
Does Kaz Minato have a commercial website for his Saito and Stalker sales? I don't understand why he wouldn't, since he already has a personal website (THAT, I find hard to understand also!).

Nice report, Milton...thanks.  #^ Steve 
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Offline Greg L Bahrman

• Captain
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2006, 06:05:57 PM »
http://homepage3.nifty.com/bluemax/MNT001.html
 E-MAIL:    bluemax.minato@nifty.ne.jp
For Kaz
« Last Edit: November 25, 2006, 10:34:03 PM by Greg L Bahrman »
Greg Bahrman, AMA 312522
Simi Valley, Ca.