News:

• April 27, 2024, 01:05:08 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Profile Engine C Pads  (Read 2342 times)

Offline Steve Scott

• 21 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain
  • Terrorizing earthworms since '65
Profile Engine C Pads
« on: February 19, 2006, 08:59:12 AM »
One of my favorite engine tips is those black composite plastic engine pads as sold by several manufactureres (Sig or Brodak).  They are 1/8" thick and ideal for profile fuselages.  Make sure you get the one without the built in offset.  Sig's are not offset.

I used one as a pattern to make an inlay jig for my router.  The jig is nothing more than a 4" x 12" piece of 1/8" basswood with a centerline drawn down the middle.  The jig is then either tack glued with hot melt glue or clamped onto the fuselage, making sure the centerline of the jig coincides with the centerline of the fuselage.  Then, using a ¼" or smaller bottoming bit in your router, machine away the ply doubler material.

You'll get a perfect fit to drop in the plastic C pad, your maple engine bearer surfaces will be trued up and your engines will never crush the doubler - cuz there ain't one.

I've gotten many compliments on my steady engine runs on my profile ships.  This is my little secret...   :-X
« Last Edit: February 25, 2006, 10:39:51 AM by Steve Scott »

Offline Peter OKeeffe

• New Pilot
Re: Profile Engine C Pads
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2006, 07:10:25 AM »
Hi Steve,

Is it possible for you to photo the process that you use and post it here?
Especially the router 'bottoming' tool that you use..

Cheers, Peter O'Keeffe / Sunny Australia
Peter O'Keeffe / Australia

Offline Steve Scott

• 21 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2006, 06:53:17 PM »
Hi Steve,

Is it possible for you to photo the process that you use and post it here?
Especially the router 'bottoming' tool that you use..

Cheers, Peter O'Keeffe / Sunny Australia
Peter,

By a "bottoming" bit I mean only a bit which also cuts on the bottom of the bit - such as a hinge mortising bit shown here:

Offline Ron Hofacker

• New Pilot
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2006, 06:03:16 AM »
Is there an advantage to the "C" shape? I've been using 1/8" phenolic as a crush pad on the engine mounts. Glues and drills easily but does not connect the two engine mount beams like the "C" shape does.

Offline Steve Scott

• 21 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2006, 05:20:56 PM »
Is there an advantage to the "C" shape? I've been using 1/8" phenolic as a crush pad on the engine mounts. Glues and drills easily but does not connect the two engine mount beams like the "C" shape does.
I have no data to back this up but the "C" shape fixture does tie the upper and lower engine bearers together as a single unit so I would guess, "Yes" there is an advantage.  Plus they never get mushy from oil seepage.

Another tip for widening these mounts.  Scribe a line showing how much material needs to be removed.  Clamp the mount in a bench vise with the material to be removed sticking up above the surface of the vise jaws.  If there is a lot of material then cut off with a metal hacksaw blade using the jaws as a guide.  Then take a metal file and file down to a smooth finish.

Online Paul Taylor

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
  • If God is your Co-pilot - swap seats!
    • Our Local CL Web Page
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2006, 05:15:30 PM »
Why not use the pads with the off set?
That are the only ones I have.

Thanks
Paul
AMA 842917

Tight Lines = Fun Times

Offline Steve Scott

• 21 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2006, 05:56:22 PM »
Why not use the pads with the off set?
That are the only ones I have.

Thanks
I find the offset angle is too much.  Virtually all of my profiles now fly with zero outthrust.  On the flat pads you can stick a washer under the engine lugs if you need a little outthrust.  Hard to remove outthrust with pads with it already molded in.

Offline peabody

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2006, 04:47:40 AM »
Years ago I watched a Windy video that suggested that the larger the airplane/engine, the less offset required....
I think he's sort of right....

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here