News:

• May 08, 2024, 07:21:59 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Pipes on FPs, B40s etc?  (Read 887 times)

Offline ash

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Commander
    • I build guitars to pay for CL models!
Pipes on FPs, B40s etc?
« on: August 26, 2007, 08:06:19 PM »
I'm looking at getting a Magnum 36 to run on pipe in the next model, but it occurred to me that with the appropriate header, my FP40 might also be useful on the pipe, since things like LA46s and various VFs like the pipe.
I'll probably get the Magnum anyway, since its a proven option. But for the sake of experiment with something I already have...

Anyone had luck with a piped FP40 or even the Brodak 40, FP25, FP35 or similar?
Adrian Hamilton - Auckland, NZ.

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
Re: Pipes on FPs, B40s etc?
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2007, 11:02:38 AM »
Are you looking to use it for "boost", or like the current fashion as a "govenor"?

We used an OS 32F for quite a while on a pipe.  Worked just fine.

The Magnum 36 XLIIS is a whole different animal, though, and really works like the big boys on a pipe.
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Offline ash

• Commander
    • I build guitars to pay for CL models!
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2007, 02:24:37 PM »
I don't really know, Bill.  I guess with a motor like an FP40, you need governing action first and power if its in a big enough model. Piped ships are a very rare sight around these parts so its really just a matter of curiosity. What has been tried and proved, what hasn't...

I went and ordered an ASP36 (clone of a previous Magnum, I believe) since they are cheap and readily available here and Magnums aren't so easy to find.
Adrian Hamilton - Auckland, NZ.

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2007, 03:51:06 PM »
Of course, the point of a pipe is not to generate power, but to regulate rpm. Phil Granderson was using a Magnum 36 with a side to back header and pipe. The advantage was, he could run the engine where is was comfortable (in the 11,000 rpm range somewhere), prop it to get the speed he wanted and the pipe kept it in the proscribed rpm range. Nice, consistent power generation without a lot of speed variation. Kinda depends on how much power you want or need for the ship you are flying. I know Phil has now jumped to an OS 40VF (certainly more overall power than a Magnum 36), but that was only recently. I suppose we all are prone to look for more ponies.
Member in good standing of P.I.S.T
(Politically Incorrect Stunt Team)
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Online Geoff Goodworth

• Captain
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2007, 06:26:05 PM »
Can anyone tell me who has side to back headers to suit the FP40 and clones?

Cheers, Geoff

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2007, 07:59:45 PM »
Can anyone tell me who has side to back headers to suit the FP40 and clones?

Cheers, Geoff

Hi Geoff,

Randy is in Muncie at the Team Trials, but I am pertty sure he has the side to rear headers for the FP.  He has them for several engines.

Pretty sure he will jump in here, when he has the chance, and give the full info. ;D
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

Trying to get by

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2007, 08:15:28 PM »
The muffler bolt pattern is the same for a OS .35/.40FP, .40/46LA, or Magnum XL or XLS .36. Therefore, the header should be the same for all these engines.  #^ 

Steve Buso's "Vegas" used a .40FP with round the back header and a tuned pipe. Really pretty airplane, too.  PAMPA Member's Services (Capt. Curt) has the plans available pretty reasonable.  y1 It looks quite a bit like a Vector 40, as I recall.  D>K Steve
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2007, 09:48:50 PM »
Steve's Vegas is a very pretty and great flying model!  It does resemble the Vector 40 somewhat, I guess. ;D

I remember having a long conversation at Vincennes in the motel parking lot when Steve had his ZAP Machine.  We were using Bounty paper towels to polish up the planes, and we were discussing whether or not we should try to get a Bounty TV commercial deal! LOL!!
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

Trying to get by

Offline Dennis Moritz

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2007, 02:38:07 AM »
Tom Hampshire showed up today at the Philly Flyer Labor Day picnic with a piped high backplate Fox 40. Tom's fifteen year old experiment in the world of pipes. He re-timed the Fox to work with the system. Tom referred to it as a $20 engine with a $100 pipe. He used a 90 degree header to link up with the straight shot carbon exhaust. All mounted on a profile. It runs quite well with the ragged exhaust note typical of piped engines. The pipe modulates and governs engine rpm, same as in the special built dedicated stunt PAs and Ro-Jetts. Perhaps Tom will discuss the possible use of a pipe on an FP40. Sounds as though Phil Granderson's Magnum works similarly. Interesting how many different possibilities exist for doing effective stuff on the cheap side. Seems to me a good way to go for those of us learning to compete in Intermediate and Advanced. A $100 carbon fiber pipe, not that cheap tho. We in Philly get FP40s to run nasty and sweet. Powering our Intermediate and Advanced competition planes. No pipes yet. Playing around with a MAC pipe (or a used carbon pipe) could be useful and in the same spirit.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here