News:

• April 30, 2024, 10:52:08 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Pipe Guts  (Read 2113 times)

Offline ash

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Commander
    • I build guitars to pay for CL models!
Pipe Guts
« on: February 23, 2006, 06:48:20 PM »
I've worked plenty with speed and motorcycle pipes, but they have no internal baffles. So what does a baffled stunt pipe look like inside?

I can't imagine how they would be arranged so as to not impede the return reflections. Anyone have pictures or links illustrating the principle?
Adrian Hamilton - Auckland, NZ.

Offline phil c

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Pipe Guts
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2006, 11:50:41 AM »
look through Martin's site and learn more than you wanted to know.

http://www.mh-aerotools.de/airfoils/
phil Cartier

Offline ash

• Commander
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2006, 06:26:53 PM »
Thanks for that Phil. Still not more than I wanted to know ;)  Just call me a sponge ;D

The picture on the JavaPipe page illustrates what I would guess is basically a single chamber pipe tuned for a power peak with a couple of muffling chambers tacked on the back:
http://www.mh-aerotools.de/airfoils/images/tpiped3.gif

On the UHP forum there's a rough diagram of a pipe with three baffles apparently inside the tuned chamber:
http://egpworld.com/forum/attach.aspx?a=1652

I gather the first baffle is the one to which the tuned length is measured, so it would be effectively the same as the first picture, just with a different shaped baffle...

What I'm wondering is, are they really flat plates with say one big hole, lots of little holes, holes of diminishing diameter? Or is that just a simplified representation of some of cone as in the first image?

I can't see how any subsequent baffles would have any effect on broadening or softening the peak if the first baffle has as small of a 'stinger' hole as suggested by that first image. If the first baffle had a 70% diameter hole, the second a 50% hole and so-on, I'd get it. But I have no idea if that is how they are... is it?

Offline RandySmith

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
    • Aero Products
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2006, 08:38:07 PM »
Adrian

They  tune  off of the  first  reflective  surface, Which in our case  is  the  first  baffle, There  are  many  types of configurations, one hole  2 holes  4  holes,  many tiny holes.
And Yes there  are  2 nd , 3rd, and sometimes  4th order waves  coming  from the  other  baffles  and the rear  of the pipe
We have  made  and  tried  literally  100s   of  differant  types of baffles and pipe  configurations

Regards

Randy

Offline ash

• Commander
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2006, 09:28:00 PM »
Thanks for that, Randy. Sounds like I had been imagining along the correct lines. Its one of those things where I was thinking 'it can't be that simple, there must be complications...'

The complications are probably why everyone isn't making their own pipes! ;D

Offline phil c

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2006, 05:08:21 PM »
I can't see how any subsequent baffles would have any effect on broadening or softening the peak if the first baffle has as small of a 'stinger' hole as suggested by that first image. If the first baffle had a 70% diameter hole, the second a 50% hole and so-on, I'd get it. But I have no idea if that is how they are... is it?

You have to remember that two things are going on in any pipe/muffler-  the exhaust gas is flowing through(and cooling) and the noise in the exhaust is echoing around.  The two things behave in entirely different manners, and like Randy says, it takes a ton of experimenting to see how they interact in a pipe.  Standing sound waves can change the pressure at particular points, which changes how the gas flows.  The size and shape of the baffles change the gas flow, which can change where the standing waves occur.  The baffles reflect sound(pressure waves) but not the gas flow.  Talk to an automotive muffler engineer.  They have the basic auto muffler down fairly well now, but even so they spend huge amounts of time modifying and testing to get the right sound, the right back pressure, the right price, and still squeeze it into the space available.
phil Cartier

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here