News:

• May 02, 2024, 11:48:41 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Painted engines..  (Read 742 times)

Offline jim gilmore

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Painted engines..
« on: August 21, 2009, 08:37:26 PM »
I'm just curious about engines with colors. Like the os la's and the new cox versions. Are these paints or some other process. Ithough the golden bee was anodized, but doesn't that only work on aluminum parts and what are most engines made from ? outside that is .

Offline Clint Ormosen

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Painted engines..
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2009, 12:00:46 AM »
The blue OS engines and the red Irvine engines used some kind of epoxy color on them. You could get the color off with a wire wheel. The aluminum cased Cox engines were anodized. I don't remember what the green was on the O&R engines. Or was that the Orwick that was green? Shoot, way before my time anyway. ???

Guess this post wasn't much help after all.
-Clint-

AMA 559593
Finding new and innovated ways to screw up the pattern since 1993

Offline jim gilmore

• Admiral
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2009, 12:23:36 AM »
It's because it reaffirms my thoughts on  them.

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2009, 09:02:55 AM »
The blue on the OS engines comes off fairly easy using the crock pot with antifreeze.  I did that to a 40 that kept giving me fits on a profile until I removed the blue.  Have fun, DOC Holliday
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline jim gilmore

• Admiral
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2009, 09:06:53 AM »
What kind of fits was the paint causing.

Offline kenneth cook

• Admiral
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2009, 03:28:24 PM »
     I was thinking that some of the Cox die cast versions have been powder coated. This may be true for the La series engines as well. I own several of the La engines and have noted that the color does show up on the cleaning rags from time to time. I haven't had the color come off completely off showing aluminum. In fact most are approximately 6 years old and they still look good. As for the extruded cased Cox engines, I believe the ones that were anodized like the Black Widow and also the Golden Bee versions last longer. The anodizing makes a pretty hard surface which gives longevity to the crank fit. I've had some cases with some pretty sloppy fits which really degraded performance. When they started to initially wear they were real screamers until the point of no return. I just recently saw a LA.46 powdercoated in orange which looked quite different. Ken

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2009, 06:56:49 PM »
Jim, to me it seemed the blue coating was holding heat.  First flight was usually okay.  The second flight the engine would run great.  After that it seemed the engine would heat up and run hard unless I opened the needle a little.  I would get about four good flights and then go home.  Next time out the engine would run cold again warming up with each flight.  DOC Holliday
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Chad Hill

• Commander
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2009, 09:50:38 AM »
John, did you have to scrub hard to remove the blue after the crockpotting? I have a NIB LA 46 that's blue. It badly wants to become "natural"...Chad Hill

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2009, 08:36:47 PM »
My blue .46LA has always run just great. It has a metal backplate, homegrown venturi, Randy Aero NV Assy., socket head screws, SAE 1/4-28 prop nut, 11.5 x 4 APC, Power Master 10-22GMA and Thunderbolt R/C Long. Various mufflers have been used...MACS Muffler, Big Art, and Aero Products tube mufflers. The OS muffler is on the Magnum XLS .36.

OS has a tradition of blue engines, from back when McCoy's were black and red, Orwicks green, etc. If the blue clashes with your color scheme, change one or the other! Maybe you could leave the head blue, at least?
 H^^ Steve
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Offline Chad Hill

• Commander
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2009, 03:24:20 AM »
John, how long did you have to crock it to get rid of the blue? Thanks...Chad Hill

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here