News:

• May 09, 2024, 08:14:10 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: PA .51 question  (Read 3240 times)

Offline Dave Heinzman

• 24 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Ensign
PA .51 question
« on: June 05, 2006, 05:40:26 PM »
Hi Randy,
Thanks for being available for questions about engine setups.  I have a piped PA .51 in a Tempest II model.  Using a bolly 12.25 x 4.25 prop, I set the launch RPMs to 10,100 - 10,200 pipe is at 17.5".  After takeoff and a few laps the engine wants to speed up too much and stay there.  If I take the bolly off and install an APC 12.25 x 3.75 prop and change nothing else, ground RPMs then become 9,400 - 9,500 and the engine settles into a fast four cycle with some break at the tops of maneuvers - pretty much a good run.  Somehow, the heavier APC seems to settle the engine down and not want to speed up.  I would eventually like to find out why the bolly doesn't work as it should.  My .51 venturi diameter is .182.  I'm using power master 5/22 fuel, a six ounce magnum style tank.  Fuel consumption is 5.0 ounces for a 6.5 minute flight.  Am I missing something obvious?   

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
Re: PA .51 question
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2006, 06:31:55 PM »
Hi Dave,

Have you checked the pitch on the Bolly?   I have run a PA 51 quite a bit with a 12 X 4.25 Bolly 2 blade with the pipe at 17 1/2, 5% Sig Champion.  Exact same set up in a 53 oz. Saturn based plane and a 63 oz. Geo "Bolt" XL.  I would like to give you a rpm reading, but when Randy is around we only set them by ear (no tachs allowed  j1), so I don't have a clue as to what the rpm is!  ;D  But the run is exactly as you have mentioned.  A solid 4 cycle that begins with in a 1/2 lap of take off with a blip when the engine is loaded.

Randy will jump in soon.  y1

Bill <><

Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Offline Dave Heinzman

• 24 supporter
  • Ensign
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2006, 08:51:21 PM »
Hi Bill,
Yes I checked the pitch on the bolly, my guage shows about 4.5 . I have tweaked the pitch up to 5.0 but after time they settle back to the 4.5.
I'm using a homemade Hooptee pitch guage from a magazine article, I should try a different guage and see what the reading is.
Dave

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2006, 07:37:00 AM »
Hi Bill,
Yes I checked the pitch on the bolly, my guage shows about 4.5 . I have tweaked the pitch up to 5.0 but after time they settle back to the 4.5.
I'm using a homemade Hooptee pitch guage from a magazine article, I should try a different guage and see what the reading is.
Dave

Hi Dave,

I was talking withj Randy and Stan Powell late Saturday afternoon about setting the pitch on the Bollys.   Randy gave a temperature that the resin must reach for the proper tweak to be maintained.  His technique for tweaking Bollys is to heat them and take them to a little past your desired pitch, then work them to the pitch desired as they cool down.  This really keeps them from returning to what they were molded.  I am afraid I will not give the correct temp, so I'll wait on Randy to say.

Bill <><
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

Trying to get by

Offline RandySmith

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
    • Aero Products
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2006, 11:00:47 AM »
Hi Randy,
Thanks for being available for questions about engine setups.  I have a piped PA .51 in a Tempest II model.  Using a bolly 12.25 x 4.25 prop, I set the launch RPMs to 10,100 - 10,200 pipe is at 17.5".  After takeoff and a few laps the engine wants to speed up too much and stay there.  If I take the bolly off and install an APC 12.25 x 3.75 prop and change nothing else, ground RPMs then become 9,400 - 9,500 and the engine settles into a fast four cycle with some break at the tops of maneuvers - pretty much a good run.  Somehow, the heavier APC seems to settle the engine down and not want to speed up.  I would eventually like to find out why the bolly doesn't work as it should.  My .51 venturi diameter is .182.  I'm using power master 5/22 fuel, a six ounce magnum style tank.  Fuel consumption is 5.0 ounces for a 6.5 minute flight.  Am I missing something obvious?   

HI Dave

That is one of the best props we have found for the 51, I am using the exact prop on my  51 in my Katana.  I use  5% 20 oil  in cool months  and  10%  20 oil in warm months
Bolly 12 x 4.25 3 blade, It should set on the ground just crackling back and forth into a 2 cycle, them it should drop to a solid 4 cycle just within 1 lap after launching, There are  several hundered  running this  same  setup. If you go  several laps  then  the engine starts  running  fast there is a  problem somewhere else, most likley  either  getting  hot from too much load, too little  cooling  or  fuel delivery.
By the way  4.5 to 5 pitch is  too much, try  4  to 4.25

Are you into a  2 stroke in level flight?
does the motor change  after the first  10 laps  or  is it  constant thru out?
What size plane
what is the weight of the plane?
Is the header tounching the corner of teh tank?
is the  needle touching the fuse  sides?

Randy

Offline Dave Heinzman

• 24 supporter
  • Ensign
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2006, 05:01:26 PM »
Thanks Randy, the plane is a 690 square inch Tempest II 64 ounce on 64 foot lines.  The .51 with the bolly on it speeds up into a two stroke within the first three to four laps.  Header is close but not touching the tank -- needle valve is not touching the fuse.  I'll have to try running it with the cowl off, if that isn't it then I'll try a different tank. 
Dave

Offline RandySmith

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • Aero Products
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2006, 07:38:14 PM »
Hi Dave

The motor  shoul d always  unload  and  go  richer in the  air , never  leaner.
Let me know  how it does with the changes

Regards
Randy

Offline Jim Pollock

• Admiral
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2006, 05:26:33 PM »
Dave,

How many cooling outlet holes do you have in the cowling ahead of the header?
You problem kind of sounds like the one Ted Fancher ran into with his Trivial Pursuit.
All the cooling was exiting the cowling before it reached the header and pipe.  He had to
put tape over some of the outlets.  After reading that, I installed intake scoops on my cowling aimed at the header.  There were no outlet holes at all until neary the midpoint of the pipe.  My .51 ran flawlessly on a Bolly 12 X4.25 repitched with about .2 more pitch at the last station on my prop guage.

Jim Pollock, For what it's worth   <=

Offline Dave Heinzman

• 24 supporter
  • Ensign
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2006, 06:45:52 PM »
Thanks Randy and Jim,
I have no cooling vents befoe the header, there is a7/8" x 3.5" cooling vent in the cowl right where the header and coupler are. Then the pipe goes under the landing gear and is open the rest of the way. I really like this motor, just neeed to work with it some more.  If I can I'll try to post some pictures.
Dave

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2006, 01:07:06 PM »
Hi Dave,

Find a way to increase the front cowl opening (may not be needed), and close up the hole over the header.   That is what everyone seems to be doing contrary to the original method shown on many of the original pipe planes where there was an opening over the header pipe connection.  I had to "retro fit" my cowling to fill in that opening.

Randy can explain.  y1

Bill <><
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

Trying to get by

Offline Dave Heinzman

• 24 supporter
  • Ensign
« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2006, 05:03:28 PM »
OK guys I had a chance to fly the Tempest this weekend with the cowling off and there was no difference.  Takeoff and a few level laps and the engine leans and speeds up.  The more I fly the worse it gets.  I did not try another tank yet I don't have one ready to go -- poor planning on my part.  Tank has been flushed out and checked for leaks this past winter.  The tank installation is good in my estimation -- not loose or shifting around.  I'm starting to think that the fuel could be foaming.  I always balance my propellers.  The engine mounting is solid and straight.  I'm going to try installing a du-bro crap trap filter instead of the blue master airscrew that I have now (yes, i epoxied the two halves together). One time I had a hemi head fox .35 on an original Nobler that never held a good needle setting almost like what I have now.  A Brodak .40 on the same plane ran OK.  So I have a couple of questions:  Do higher compression engines have a tendency to vibrate and cause fuel foaming?  Is a PA .51 considered a high compression engine?  It doesn't feel like it when I flip the propeller.  I have heard of putting Armour All in  the fuel to stop the foaming.  Is something like that OK to use for an extended time?  Any thoughts you have would be appreciated. 
Dave

Offline Steve Fitton

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2006, 06:43:17 PM »
Dave,

When I used armor-all, it stopped foaming but killed plugs.  Only got 100 or so flights per plug, then flameout %^

I have a DS 40 in a Nobler that does the same thing, no idea what is causing it.  Still working that little problem.....

You gonna go to brodaks?  maybe we can have a listen and look at your PA ship and see whats going on.  Sometimes multiple sets of eyes and ears are a good thing.

Steve
Steve

Offline Dave Heinzman

• 24 supporter
  • Ensign
« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2006, 08:24:59 PM »
Hi Steve,

I'll be at Brodak's on friday and saturday. See you then. Thanks for the info.

Dave

Offline Steve Fitton

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2006, 08:42:48 PM »
Cool.  Don't forget appearence judging is Thursday afternoon now (I think).

I'll show you the "Mirror image" Nobler I did in homage of your '52 ship.  I reversed the colur scheme on mine.

Steve
Steve

Offline Tom Perry

• Captain
« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2006, 07:07:36 AM »
Dave,

Just a shot in the dark on my part but have you considered trying a slightly cooler glo-plug?  <=
Tight lines,

Tom Perry
 Norfolk, Virginia

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #15 on: June 13, 2006, 07:39:03 AM »
Hi Dave,

Flying with the cowl removed may not have actually helped the cooling of the engine-pipe system.  Sometimes a system like Mr. Rabe builds into his planes where the air is forced over the engine is necessary.

Having the opportunity to receive Randy's help on frequent occasions makes it real easy for me to set up his systems.  One thing in particular that he made me do is what I said in my earlier post.  There are only two opwnings on the airplane:  the air intake at eh nose of the cowl, and an opening just big enough to get teh pipe inand out of on the bottom of the fuselage.  That forces the air to move over the whole engine/header/coupling and down the pipe before it can exit.

I remember Ted having to close up all the extra holes on the nose (cowl) of one of his Trivial Pursuits  because it allowed too much air to escape before the system could be cooled.

Just a thought.  But the openings over the header/pipe connections are no longer used.

Bill <><
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

Trying to get by

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #16 on: June 13, 2006, 07:48:24 AM »
One thing you may or may not know that Randy makes us do is that after you crank the engine and remove the battery, you put your finger over the uniflow vent to pick up the rpm.  This heats up the engine a little quicker.  Then the engine is set to pretty much the same sort of "cackle" that a ST 60 has on the ground.  Mostly 4 cycle but hitting a 2 every now and then.

After re-reading your original post, it is puzzling as to why you have to drop the rpm so much when going to a 2 blade with less pitch than the 3 blade Bolly.
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

Trying to get by

Offline Dave Heinzman

• 24 supporter
  • Ensign
« Reply #17 on: June 14, 2006, 03:51:09 AM »
Hi Bill, it takes me a while to get my mind wrapped around covering up the hole by the header coupling to increase cooling of the engine. I am going to do that. Probably this evening.
Dave

Offline RandySmith

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • Aero Products
« Reply #18 on: June 14, 2006, 11:53:25 AM »
HI Dave

The plane  should  always  run cooler  with teh cowl  on  than with it  off,
and You can use  tape  to block off the hole.  I may suggest  making the rear  hole more  open if it is small
The other thing I would  do  is  use  10% nitro fuel, this will give more  power and let you set the engine a  bit more on the rich side.
We use  5% in cool months  and  go to 10 % in hotter  months...the hot months are here now
please let me know how this works

Randy

Offline Dave Heinzman

• 24 supporter
  • Ensign
« Reply #19 on: June 14, 2006, 07:52:07 PM »
Hi Randy,
I did some flights this evening with the header coupler cowl vent coverd and it did ok, wasn't a completly different run, but it was manageable.
My rear opening in the fuse for the pipe is huge so I'm good there.
I am using 5% fuel   It was about 68 degrees this evening.  I'll try the 10%.  I think I'm starting to get on my way with this model now. I sure  appreciate you taking the time to respond to my question. BTW I'm at least the 3rd owner of this engine, it has # 193 ( I think ) engraved on the case, also somebody wrote on the inside cover of the box that the engine came in,  .015" + ..008" = .023" head shims  I'm assuming thats what I have in there. Does that sound right?
Dave

Offline RandySmith

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • Aero Products
« Reply #20 on: June 14, 2006, 08:04:48 PM »
HI Dave

If it is  a  series 1  PA 51  that is  too little  gaskets it should be  28 to 32 thou

If it has a  series 2  head  on it  it should be  15 thou gaskets

series one  head  looks like a high compression Stunt sqiush double bowl, all were rounded off at the top outside

series 2  head  has a single hemi and a  very small  squish band, some are rounded off outside on the top and the newest ones are  ssquared off like the PA 61  65s

That engine sounds  pretty  old

Regards
Randy

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #21 on: June 25, 2006, 12:19:31 PM »
Hi Dave,

How are things working with the .51?  Curious to see if you got it sorted out.  y1

Bill <><
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

Trying to get by

Offline Steve Fitton

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #22 on: June 25, 2006, 10:38:37 PM »
Bill, I'm sure Dave can give more details, but it seemed to run great at Brodaks.  He did have the header cowl exit taped off, don't know if he changed head shims or anything else.

Steve
Steve

Offline Patrick Rowan

• AMA Member
  • Commander
« Reply #23 on: June 26, 2006, 01:14:17 PM »
I launched Dave for his 2nd PA flight on Sat.
He had a good engine run & nice looking pattern.
Fly Stunt
Poland, Ohio

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #24 on: June 26, 2006, 03:33:07 PM »
Thanks Steve, and Pat.  I couldn't see a reason that there would be run issues with the 51 unless it had been really abused by the previous owners.   y1  ;D

Bill <><
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

Trying to get by

Offline Steve Fitton

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #25 on: June 27, 2006, 05:59:17 AM »
I would point out, though, that he ran the APC 12.25x3.75 that ran okay even at the beginning of the thread.  Maybe it still doesn't like the Bolly for some reason.  For obvious reasons he stuck with the prop that worked at the contest.

It would not have occured to me to run the APC on a piped PA, but it worked suprisingly well

Steve
Steve

Offline Dave Heinzman

• 24 supporter
  • Ensign
« Reply #26 on: June 28, 2006, 06:16:25 PM »
Hi Bill, I went to Brodak's expecting to have run problems but it didn't happen. I've flown this model enough to know it was close to having the the speed up thing happen but it didn't. The only difference bettween home and Brodak's is 300ft ( I think ) higher of altitude.  I can get  good runs here at home with the APC but not easy as it was there.
Going from Randy's last post here I believe I have a series 1  PA .51 so that means that I need to add some head shims to be at the range of .028" - .032"head spacing. I'm at .023" now. I talked to Randy and he is sending me some shims to try. I'll let you know how it works out.

Dave

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #27 on: June 28, 2006, 10:52:53 PM »
Thanks, Dave, I'm glad it worked out for you at Brodak's.  I really like my 51!

Randy really knows his engines!  He helped me a ton at the last local contest getting my PA 61 to run perfect.

Let me know how it comes out.

Thanks!
Bill <><
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

Trying to get by

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here