News:

• May 02, 2024, 01:15:22 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: P/A 40 Ultra lite  (Read 1394 times)

Offline Larry Wong

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
P/A 40 Ultra lite
« on: June 21, 2006, 07:37:44 PM »
Today I was flying with a friend and His new Cavalier had a P/A 40  each time we launch his plane It would run away, He had a Boli 11x4 3bld I launch it at the same RPM that I do on Mine .  after 3-4 tray I changed his Prop to Mine and set RPM what I do to mine and it had a good 4-2-4  the prop I use is a Bill Lee 11x4 3 bld can just a prop be that diffrent or is there something else that we are missing?   <=
Larry

Believing is the Beginning to greatness <><

Offline RandySmith

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
    • Aero Products
Re: P/A 40 Ultra lite
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2006, 08:41:28 PM »
Larry
what does  run away  mean?  are  you saying  it  goes into a  fast  2 cycle?
or  does it  go too  fast in level flight  ?
or  does  it  go too fast in manouvers?
if  so  did  you try  to set the  needle  richer?
the combo of the  Bolly  11 x 4 n 3 blade  and  PA 40 is  working  on ships  all over  the  country.
Give me a little  more  detailed info.
 there is  very little  differance  between  those  2  props, so it  doesn;t  make  sense  that he  would  have  that   huge  of a  change

regards
Randy

Offline Larry Wong

• Admiral
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2006, 06:31:33 AM »
Randy  It just will not take a needle, eather to fast or to slow, that what 's so puzzleing, as Both of mine runs great . I'm thinking that it might not have enough time on it yet. but when I change his prop to mine it works, take of one lap then 4cyc, but with his bolli were ever it's set it stays on the ground but when it unloads it flys fast, when richen it up it flys to slow!
Larry

Offline RandySmith

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • Aero Products
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2006, 12:10:26 PM »
HI Laryy

You wrote me  a while back as to how well the motor and  11 x 4  Bolly worked on your  plane.
If the same  setup isn't working on his  its  time  to check things out.
You say it won't hold a setting, if this is  so the fuel system needs to be  checked to find out why the  RPMs on the ground  will not be  steady. or the in flight RPMs are not steady.
If the plane  goes rich or  goes  lean  when you launch it, the same  applies. Try to get the tank as close as you can to the motor  and  have  a  very secure  mount.

If this  is  just simply  that it goes  too fast in flight, you need to change the pitch of the prop, or  drop to a  lower % nitro, or  add a  head shim.
What lap time  are you getting  and  what  lenght  lines are you flying on?

Regards
Randy

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2006, 10:40:49 PM »
I'd check the prop balance. Could be vibration induced fuel foaming, especially on a profile. If that's not it, then check the prop pitch. Make sure the LE of the blades is correct; pretty sharp, definitely not "safe"/blunt. Lots of performance in props...gained or lost. Details! ~ Steve 
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Offline Greg L Bahrman

• Captain
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2006, 11:46:31 PM »
Larry,
Might be interesting to see how his prop performs on your plane???
Greg Bahrman, AMA 312522
Simi Valley, Ca.

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2006, 03:25:04 PM »
Randy Powell has a PA .40 "Merlin" in his Cobra...it did some similar stuff at Stunt-at-Thun, like 4.2 sec. laps. Turned out that the engine mounting bolts were loose. That fixed, all returned to "normal". n~ Steve
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Offline Larry Wong

• Admiral
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2006, 01:07:36 PM »
Thanks Guys Just got back from flying and it was a leak in the tank, now that it was fixed , It fly's sweet as it can be . 65' lines at 5.3 laps and launch RPM at
10K with a nice 4-2-4 break ...  j1
Larry

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2006, 11:18:47 AM »
What Steve says it true. I had a couple of runs on the plane that were head scratchers. Would be fine on the ground then go lean in the air. Not overlean, but well into the 2 stroke. Turned out I had an engine mount problem. Got that fixed and it was fine again.
Member in good standing of P.I.S.T
(Politically Incorrect Stunt Team)
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here