News:

• May 03, 2024, 09:27:43 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: PA 40 UL setup  (Read 1032 times)

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
PA 40 UL setup
« on: December 27, 2009, 08:07:45 PM »
Well, I plan to build another Ringmaster Deluxe. The first plane, even thought it had a ridiculously long tail moment in an ineffective attempt to balance the too heavy engine in the nose, still came out pretty nose heavy necessitating almost 3oz of tail weight. I want to avoid that in this next iteration. So I thought of using a PA 40UL on a pipe. The difference in weight from the 40VF I used in the last one (at some 12oz) versus the PA at about 8.5oz seemed the bright way to go. then I realized that although I've used the PA for several planes, I've never run it on a pipe.

So, what's the best pipe setup for this engine. Which pipe? what pipe length? What sort of RPM setting? What prop will be the most likely to work?

Thanks for info.
Member in good standing of P.I.S.T
(Politically Incorrect Stunt Team)
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline RandySmith

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
    • Aero Products
Re: PA 40 UL setup
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2009, 09:57:01 AM »
Well, I plan to build another Ringmaster Deluxe. The first plane, even thought it had a ridiculously long tail moment in an ineffective attempt to balance the too heavy engine in the nose, still came out pretty nose heavy necessitating almost 3oz of tail weight. I want to avoid that in this next iteration. So I thought of using a PA 40UL on a pipe. The difference in weight from the 40VF I used in the last one (at some 12oz) versus the PA at about 8.5oz seemed the bright way to go. then I realized that although I've used the PA for several planes, I've never run it on a pipe.

So, what's the best pipe setup for this engine. Which pipe? what pipe length? What sort of RPM setting? What prop will be the most likely to work?

Thanks for info.

HI Randy

Of course the pipe lenght will vary with the RPM and what prop etc..
I would  suggest the 40 Aero Pipe ,either the Ultra Torque or Ultra Quiet. Many people use the 3 blade narrow 12 x 4 cut to 11 inches, the Bolly 11 3\4 x 4 1\4 works very well cut to 11.3 inches, in other words the motor turns the same prop as the VF 40 does. Pipe lenght will run from 16 7\8 to 18 inches, again RPMs will dictate.
The PA 40 Merlin is about 4 ounces lighter than the VF , so I think you will enjoy that

Randy

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2009, 12:21:33 PM »
Randy,

Thanks, it's a sweet engine, but I just haven't run it on a pipe yet. I just wanted a starting point. Wish we could still get the Bolly 11.3 x 4 two blade that was available for awhile. That was a great prop on the 40VF and I imagine it would be a good starting point for the 40 Merlin.

Hopefully, you still have some 40 Merlins in stock. I plan to order another one next month.
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline RandySmith

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
    • Aero Products
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2009, 12:56:19 PM »
HI Randy

The prop maybe availible again in the near future, I have several props here that work very well also
If you send me the size plane ..sq in.. and how much it weighs I will be happy to give you a close setup point for the motor and pipe

Randy

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2009, 06:47:07 PM »
Thanks, Randy
AMA 67711