News:

• May 22, 2024, 08:16:04 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: OS Max-H Question  (Read 1841 times)

Offline Joe Messinger

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Commander
OS Max-H Question
« on: January 16, 2007, 10:56:39 PM »
Hello,

Recently, a friend gave me a OS Max-H .40 RC engine.  He bought it about 1985. I ran it on my test stand and everything appears fine.  Good, strong engine.  I didn't tach it but lots of RPM with a 11/4 prop.

Anyone have an opinion on how this engine might be for CL use?  I thought about making a venturi for it to replace the carb.  The carb base O.D. measures .510 which is quite a bit larger than the LA carb/venturi. Would .283 (LA .40 venturi I.D.) for the I.D. of the venturi work?  Maybe just lock the carb full open?

Any advice appreciated.

Thanks,

Joe

Joe Messinger

Offline Ralph Wenzel (d)

• Captain
Re: OS Max-H Question
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2007, 11:16:24 PM »
There were at least 3 (perhaps 4) versions of the Max H.40 - A "P" for pylon racing and the more common R/C version (which you appear to have) and a "S" version for stunt, which had a decent 4-2-4 break. My recollection is that the R/C engine was strictly a high-rpm, low-pitch engine for C/L use; that is, no break. I'll check with a friend who has a (literal( boxful of these.
(Too many irons; not enough fire)

Ralph Wenzel
AMA 495785 League City, TX

Offline Dick Fowler

• Captain
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2007, 05:13:25 AM »
I have a few of these motors (most are older than yours) and they seem to run best and draw fuel with ~ .260" I.D. venturi and the O.S. Needle Assembly .20-.25 FP-S  Manufacturer Stock# 22311000. I believe the O.D. of the spraybar is ~ .136".

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&W=000443397&I=LXCR49&P=K
Dick Fowler AMA 144077
Kent, OH
Akron Circle Burners Inc. (Note!)
North Coast Control Liners Size 12 shoe  XXL Supporter

Offline Robertc

• Commander
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2007, 07:55:17 AM »
I bought the C/L version new in 1975 and it still is one of my favorite engines of all time.  It will 2/4 very well, has outstanding power and weighs about the same as an FP, but it has ball bearings.  I ran a 11-6 wood on mine. Either Rev-Up or Power Point.

Offline Joe Messinger

• Commander
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2007, 08:02:40 AM »
Thanks for the information on the OS Max-H fellas.  I didn't see any markings (other than "OS Max-H" ) on the engine.  I'll have another look.  The person that gave the engine to me had it mounted in an RC trainer so I doubt that it is a pylon model.

Just thought it might make a decent engine for CL use.

Thanks again for the help.

Joe
Joe Messinger

Offline Ralph Wenzel (d)

• Captain
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2007, 07:19:15 PM »
Hi Joe,
I finally contacted my friend, the one who has a bunch or the Max .40H engines. He says the timing on the R/C version is exactly the same as the C/L Stunt model, and can deliver an excellent Stunt run. Says any venturi larger than .250 may run better on muffler pressure.
(Too many irons; not enough fire)

Ralph Wenzel
AMA 495785 League City, TX

Offline Bob Kruger

• 2014 Supporters
  • Commander
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2007, 07:06:03 AM »
Joe;

If you have the Max-H .40 with just "Max-H" on the side, then you have a great engine for general work.  Any of the guys who make venturis can provide you with a properly sized setup that will run great.  One thing to note, though - the diameter of the hole that the carb or venturi goes into requires that you use a long bodied NVA.  The best that I have found are the long Super Tiger type  sold by Len Neumann.  I believe Randy Smith can get these as well.

My fuel of choice is 22% lube (50-50 castor/synthetic), 10% nitro, B-Y&O 11-5 prop.  On a scratch built Oriental that I shortened the nose about .375", it trimmed out with almost no nose weight needed.  Fuel usage is right at 4 oz for the pattern, so you might want to look at a slightly larger tank to be safe.

The Max-H 40 is a great engine.  Good luck with yours.

V/r

Bob

Hello,

Recently, a friend gave me a OS Max-H .40 RC engine.  He bought it about 1985. I ran it on my test stand and everything appears fine.  Good, strong engine.  I didn't tach it but lots of RPM with a 11/4 prop.

Anyone have an opinion on how this engine might be for CL use?  I thought about making a venturi for it to replace the carb.  The carb base O.D. measures .510 which is quite a bit larger than the LA carb/venturi. Would .283 (LA .40 venturi I.D.) for the I.D. of the venturi work?  Maybe just lock the carb full open?

Any advice appreciated.

Thanks,

Joe

Bob Kruger
AMA 42014

Offline Joe Messinger

• Commander
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2007, 05:49:40 PM »
Bob,

The only marking on my .40 is "OS Max-H" so I believe it is the same engine you mentioned in your post.  It is a ball bearing engine.

I'll try the ST long NVA with the appropriate venturi.

Thanks, very much, for your help.  Thanks, also, to all who have offered advice. I'm looking forward to better weather and trying the "H" out on one of my planes.

Joe
Joe Messinger

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2007, 07:48:35 PM »
Sorta off the topic, but not really..............

I have a basically brand new 40 H "P" pylon engine with a busted ring.  I would dearly love to turn this one into a stunt engine!  Does anyone know where a "stunt" sleeve, piston, and head (if necessary) could be found?

Thanks
Bill <><
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here