News:

• May 01, 2024, 09:21:49 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: OS Max H 40  (Read 1914 times)

Offline Scott Jenkins

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Commander
OS Max H 40
« on: May 22, 2006, 07:29:36 AM »
Found a OS Max H 40, 2 ball bearing, in a OS 60 box at a garage sale this week end.  Scarfed it up for a 5 dollar bill. Aside from the engine being glued shut with castor oil it appears to be in good condition. During disassembly I hit a snag trying to remove the piston. It appears that the piston has flanges or bosses that totally enclose the conrod at the top. I removed the plug on the rear of the case and pulled out the teflon piston pin keeper (used a 0-80 tap) now the piston pin itself appears to be stuck may be some castor glue in the area of concern or is it something that I am not aware of. Prior to making a special tool to jack or pull the piston pin out. I thought I would check with those of you that have a better understanding of ths engine, plus I thought I would see if anyone has a piston ring (compression) for this engine laying around that they might want to part with.

Scott Jenkins
AMA 43122   
Scott Jenkins
AMA 43122
FAI F2C VOLUME 2 SECTION 4, 4.3.7
m) During the refuelling and the restart of the motor, and until the time when he releases the model aircraft, the mechanic must keep the model aircraft in contact with the ground by at least one point and with the centre line outside the flight circle. During that time the pilot must be crouching or sitting inside the centre circle. He keeps one hand on the ground and his handle and his lines as close to the ground as defined by the F2C panel of judges until the model aircraft starts again.

Offline Andrew Hathaway

• Captain
Re: OS Max H 40
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2006, 09:30:05 AM »
I've never had any of the H series, however castor gunk is universal.  If the pin is gunked up with castor heat could help get it loose.  A monokote heatgun will provide enough heat without providing so much heat that it would damage the engine.   

You may want to wait and see if there's a trick to getting it out.

Offline Bob Reeves

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Somethin'Xtra Inc.
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2006, 10:44:48 AM »
Have a ST 46 I have been playing with for days with the same problem. Have had it in the crock pot for over a week, tried heat and every kind of solvent I could think of, still tighter than a drum.  My solution is going to be sending it to Frank Bowman  :)

Offline SQ8s

• Lieutenant
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2006, 12:53:46 AM »
One thing I do IS BOIL the engine in water for 5-10 mins. You'll be surprised what comes loose
Scott Riese

Offline Tom Dugan

• Commander
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2006, 07:02:28 AM »
I have boiled engines also with good results.  I recommend that you use straight water with no cleaning agents added, it could discolor the aluminum.

Thomas

Offline RandySmith

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
    • Aero Products
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2006, 08:41:37 AM »
You can also  pick  up a  gallon can of  Carb  cleaner at the auto parts store. It comes with a  dip  basket, you can  get this  clean and loose  with the  cleaner.
It is  designed  to clean  carbs  that hav e alum, plastic, brass  and  steel parts,  so  it doesn't  hurt  anything.
Or  you can  boil the engine  in the Crock pot  with  100%  antifreeze.

Randy

Offline Scott Jenkins

• Commander
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2006, 02:16:33 PM »
I think I will boil it in water the wife would take exception to stinking up the house with antifreeze and since the fumes from the last plane I painted was said to be the reason for the demise of the parakeet. I dont want to take any chances.

Scott 
Scott Jenkins
AMA 43122
FAI F2C VOLUME 2 SECTION 4, 4.3.7
m) During the refuelling and the restart of the motor, and until the time when he releases the model aircraft, the mechanic must keep the model aircraft in contact with the ground by at least one point and with the centre line outside the flight circle. During that time the pilot must be crouching or sitting inside the centre circle. He keeps one hand on the ground and his handle and his lines as close to the ground as defined by the F2C panel of judges until the model aircraft starts again.

Offline RandySmith

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
    • Aero Products
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2006, 03:51:51 PM »
HI Scott

You don't  crock pot in the house  ever...Take it to the  gargage  or out  on the back porch :D

Regards

Randy

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here