News:

• May 24, 2024, 11:33:36 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: OS Max 40 FSR ABC Engine  (Read 8176 times)

Offline Gary Anderson

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain
OS Max 40 FSR ABC Engine
« on: September 06, 2010, 09:13:39 PM »
Hi guys,

I was wondering if the OS Max 40 FSR is the same engine as the OS 40 VF except its side exhaust instead of rear exhaust???? Mr. Randy Smith if they are the same engine can they be set up to run the same way a rear exhaust does????? I believe ya would have to have a different type header???? I wonder if the 40 FSR and the 40 VF would have the same intake?????? Just another dumb question, thanks for your input Gary
Gary Anderson

Offline RandySmith

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
    • Aero Products
Re: OS Max 40 FSR ABC Engine
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2010, 09:51:05 PM »
Hi guys,

I was wondering if the OS Max 40 FSR is the same engine as the OS 40 VF except its side exhaust instead of rear exhaust???? Mr. Randy Smith if they are the same engine can they be set up to run the same way a rear exhaust does????? I believe ya would have to have a different type header???? I wonder if the 40 FSR and the 40 VF would have the same intake?????? Just another dumb question, thanks for your input Gary

They are not the same engine, they are very differant, However both can be made to run well for stunf, The 40FSR is also mostly ringed motors, although some of them were lap fit, The 45 FSR is the better of the 2 FSR engines, The VF is a larger heavier motor, and has never been ringed.
Since one is a side EX and the other is rear EX it is obvious that the headers would have to be differant, you need a side to rear setup for conventional inverted mounts on the 40 FSR

Randy

Offline Brian Hampton

• Captain
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2010, 08:18:31 PM »
There's a distinct possibility the VF's were based on the later FSR which was ABC as both have the removeable front ends while the next OS version of their sport engines (OS-F) had a one piece crankcase. Whether their crank/port timings were similar though I have no idea.

Offline RandySmith

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • Aero Products
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2010, 09:22:16 AM »
There's a distinct possibility the VF's were based on the later FSR which was ABC as both have the removeable front ends while the next OS version of their sport engines (OS-F) had a one piece crankcase. Whether their crank/port timings were similar though I have no idea.

Hi Brian

The 2 nickle plated (ABN) motors are vastly differant and none of the parts fit the other, OS went to a 1 piece case because of strenght, a 2 piece case is just not nearly as stable
In the 2 motors the  heads, piston/sleeves , cranks, bearings, rods, front housings, mid housings, backplates, and several other parts are differant and a new design, about the only thing they shared was the 2 piece case idea

Regards
Randy

Offline Gary Anderson

• Captain
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2010, 12:11:28 PM »
Hi Randy,

Does the OS Max 40 FSR have the same power as the OS 40 VF?  If not how does the OS 40 FSR compare to the OS 46 LA???? I'm not sure its worth fix her up for control line stunt and I did, would it be best to run it on a pipe or a muffler???? I appreciate any information you can give me about this engine. I don't even have the spec. on her????

Thank You
Gary
Gary Anderson

Offline RandySmith

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • Aero Products
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2010, 01:26:45 PM »
Hi Randy,

Does the OS Max 40 FSR have the same power as the OS 40 VF?  If not how does the OS 40 FSR compare to the OS 46 LA???? I'm not sure its worth fix her up for control line stunt and I did, would it be best to run it on a pipe or a muffler???? I appreciate any information you can give me about this engine. I don't even have the spec. on her????

Thank You
Gary

Hi Gary

They both have about the same power when setup running piped stunt..although KAZ told me the 40 FSR was a much better setup...  I have setup many of both engines but I have not ran one on a piped setup, they do run well though as I have seen others flying ones I have setup
As far as power I have not tested the LA against the other 2 engines

Randy

Offline Gary Anderson

• Captain
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2010, 12:33:12 AM »
Hi Randy,
Was checking some of the post about the OS40VF and found one of your recommendations on how to run this engine.
265 diameter venturie-PA needle valve assembly-11.3x4.25 two blade bolly or 11x4 three blade bolly-51 size pipe 17 3/4--18 inches-start with 10/20fuel-ground rpm 10,900

Will this set up work on the OS40FSR? If not, what would you recommend? Also is this engine ready to go stock out of the box?

I'm trying to figure out which way to go, want to try a pipe and if this engine will work the same as the OS40VF might be fun putting her in the air.

Thenk You for all your help
Gary Anderson (I have a Legacy that I'm in the process of building and was hoping this might be a good set up.)
Gary Anderson

Offline Gary Anderson

• Captain
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2010, 05:52:21 PM »
Hi Randy,

Just got thru running the OS40FSR, wow, she likes to run hard, a lot of pull and when ya think ya got all the rpm's out of her, turn the nose up and the race is on. I wasn't sure what set up I should use, so I started out with a 10/6 prop using 0/20 than 5/20 than 10/20 and last 15/20. The engine ran very cool with each fuel, I believe the best was on 10/20. Prop seemed to small so I tried a 11/4 prop and it seemed to work out great of course I couldn't leave thing alone had to try a 11/6 prop. The engine seemed to pull the prop okay but didn't have the rpm variation that I had with the 11/4 prop. The engine doesn't seem very heavy, haven't weighted her yet, for the amount of power she is giving me. I would appreciate any suggestion you have about setting this engines up. At the moment I'm running her on the bench no muffler no pipe and not pressured.
Gary Anderson
« Last Edit: September 09, 2010, 11:12:21 PM by Gary Anderson »
Gary Anderson

Offline RandySmith

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • Aero Products
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2010, 06:48:53 PM »
Hi Randy,
Was checking some of the post about the OS40VF and found one of your recommendations on how to run this engine.
265 diameter venturie-PA needle valve assembly-11.3x4.25 two blade bolly or 11x4 three blade bolly-51 size pipe 17 3/4--18 inches-start with 10/20fuel-ground rpm 10,900

Will this set up work on the OS40FSR? If not, what would you recommend? Also is this engine ready to go stock out of the box?

I'm trying to figure out which way to go, want to try a pipe and if this engine will work the same as the OS40VF might be fun putting her in the air.

Thenk You for all your help
Gary Anderson (I have a Legacy that I'm in the process of building and was hoping this might be a good set up.)

Hi Gary

That would be a good setup to start with, You can run it and adjust from there.  It should be very close, launch it just into a 2 cycle on the ground, It should unload and go slightly richer

Let us know how it works

Randy

Offline Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2010, 09:25:54 PM »
Just got thru running the OS40FSR, wow, she likes to run hard, a lot of pull and when ya think ya got all the rpm's out of her, turn the nose up and the race is on. I wasn't sure what set up I should use, so I started out with a 10/6 prop using 0/20 than 5/20 than 10/20 and last 15/20. The engine ran very cool with each fuel, I believe the best was on 10/20. Prop seemed to small so I tried a 11/4 prop and it seemed to work out great of coarse I couldn't leave thing alone had to try a 11/6 prop. The engine seemed to pull the prop okay but didn't have the rpm variation that I had with the 11/4 prop.

Oy Vey!  A 40FSR on a 10-6?!  WOW!  I would probably start with a 12-4 2-blade. This is a *much* stronger engine than a typical "stunt 40" by a long shot.

The 40FSR was one of the first cases of people modifying engines for stunt, but mostly because they kept trying to run 6" of pitch - and that usually resulted in a good speed for the first few laps, followed by 8 minutes of 4.0s and holding on with  two hands!

Paul Walker flew some test flights with a 45FSR and a 9-4 at the Reno NATs. And reportedly launched at about 15000 rpm.

Brett

Offline Gary Anderson

• Captain
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2010, 11:31:20 PM »
Hi Brett,

That big baby sounded like a very health 1/2 A. It wasn't enough load for the engine but the engine didn't get warm, could still put your hand on the bottom end, coolest running motor I've ever had. I even tried a 11/7 on her, maybe the one I have is tired, like me, but she didn't like the 11/7. She would sag when ya pointed the nose up, didn't get hot could still hold your hand on the bottom when she was running. After she ran out of fuel it still didn't get very warm. Brett is this the engine the guys where running small prop and running around 15,000 rpm's???? I was surprised how well she pulled with the 10/6 prop. It pulled harder with the 10/6 than with the 11/7, I guess cause the poor baby was sagging with the bigger prop????? She's used and old but when ya prop one way, seems to have the same compression either way ya prop her???? Funny looking piston, looks like its made from three different metals????? About an 1/8" from the top of the piston, could be a ring, looks like a o-ring????? She doesn't have any fuel leaking from bearings, back plate, head, so maybe she'll be a winner. I have to make a header pipe for her than get a pipe from Randy, that's when the real test will begin. Brett, is this engine strong enough to fly a Legacy thru the pattern???? I need to time her run time, won't count until I get her completely set up. Thanks for your reply, hope you can make it bye our field (PC Flyers in Fresno) and put in a few laps, Gary
Gary Anderson

Offline RandySmith

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • Aero Products
« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2010, 11:04:05 AM »
Gary

The motor is strong enough to fly anything a 40 VF will fly, the RPM range would be between 10,500 and 11,200 for a typical setup with a 3.8 to 4.2 pitch prop. Remember the motor will need to turn a higher RPM to put out the power needed to fly a 60 size ship
Don't try the 15,000 RPM setup....your friends will  NOT like the prop noise.

Randy

Offline Gary Anderson

• Captain
« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2010, 12:50:15 PM »
Hi Randy,

Thanks for the information. I couldn't sleep last night, so I got up and started playing with this engine. I found that the evo 36 venturie is a great fit for this engine. I have to make up a header for her and than I'll be ready for another test. I probably just roll a piece of stainless and make a pipe to test her. Does this engine need to be run under pressure???? I don't remember seeing a pressure tap on the pipe system or header???

Yes you're correct I know most wouldn't like to hear an engine running that sounds like ya got the pedal to the metal with no load. I remember back in the late eighties when a lot of guys was using the system this way. It was funny to hear the engine wide open and the plane just cruising. Heat and smoke everywhere and not going anywhere????

I appreciate your help
Gary
Gary Anderson

Offline RandySmith

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • Aero Products
« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2010, 01:21:14 PM »
Hi Randy,

Thanks for the information. I couldn't sleep last night, so I got up and started playing with this engine. I found that the evo 36 venturie is a great fit for this engine. I have to make up a header for her and than I'll be ready for another test. I probably just roll a piece of stainless and make a pipe to test her. Does this engine need to be run under pressure???? I don't remember seeing a pressure tap on the pipe system or header???

Yes you're correct I know most wouldn't like to hear an engine running that sounds like ya got the pedal to the metal with no load. I remember back in the late eighties when a lot of guys was using the system this way. It was funny to hear the engine wide open and the plane just cruising. Heat and smoke everywhere and not going anywhere????

I appreciate your help
Gary

No I would not recomend pressure for it, I don't really use pressure on any pipe setup

Randy

Offline Gary Anderson

• Captain
« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2010, 01:24:18 PM »
Thank You Randy,

In a few days I should be ready for more test on this baby, I'll let ya know how that goes.

Thanks Again
Gary
Gary Anderson

Offline Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #15 on: September 10, 2010, 09:09:34 PM »
Hi Brett,

That big baby sounded like a very health 1/2 A. It wasn't enough load for the engine but the engine didn't get warm, could still put your hand on the bottom end, coolest running motor I've ever had. I even tried a 11/7 on her, maybe the one I have is tired, like me, but she didn't like the 11/7. She would sag when ya pointed the nose up, didn't get hot could still hold your hand on the bottom when she was running. After she ran out of fuel it still didn't get very warm. Brett is this the engine the guys where running small prop and running around 15,000 rpm's???? I was surprised how well she pulled with the 10/6 prop. It pulled harder with the 10/6 than with the 11/7, I guess cause the poor baby was sagging with the bigger prop?????

That 9-4 15,000 is probably *not* the hot setup! 

This is (or should be, if it's not worn out) a *very* strong engine - very strong. In the day it was a breakthrough increase in power over an ST46 - a huge quantum leap. It was a match for an ST60 as far as power goes. The problem was that it was very difficult to control using the techniques of the day (including everybody trying to run 12-6's or 13-6's on them), so the ST60 ended up being a much better and more tractable replacement - but it didn't perform a lot better.  11-7 is not the prop unless you want to go about 100 mph. The 7" pitch results in a large part of the prop being stalled on the ground, so and 11=7 on just about any engine is pretty gutless on the ground. And, you have to set it so slow on the ground that you aren't developing any power to speak of. A 10-6 is also WAY more pitch and way less diameter than I would try.

Try a 12-4 Rev-up or similar to start - it should be able to handle that easily, and at launch revs of maybe 95-9600 or so. THAT will have some static thrust to it. That's the reason that the tuned pipe engines have so much pull on the ground - most of the prop is under the stall angle, so it's pulling, and you are developing a tremendous amount of shaft power because you are spinning so much faster. Check the in-flight speed and adjust richer or leaner to get about 5.2. If it's too lean (i.e sagging in the maneuvers) then trim about 1/8" of each tip until you get it unloaded enough to have a good speed but not sag. If you get down to 11" you might have either a modified engine or a worn-out engine. I hear that you can use a 40FP piston/liner in it but I don't know what if anything you have to do to make that work.

I mostly agree with Randy that any airplane you can fly with a 40VF you should be able to fly with a 40FSR in good shape (presuming you can tame it). That means essentially any current 40-60 sized airplane you see, outside of the 80-style east coast monsters like the Patternmaster. Power was never the problem with FSRs -  it was controlling it. In a lot of ways, tuned pipes were applied to engines like the 40FSR to be able to harness the incredible power available with some semblance of controllability. In that sense, the 40VF is overall a much, much better stunt engine. 30 years ago, when the 40FSR was briefly the hot setup, most people had no good ideas to solve the controllability problems and the 40FSR was notorious for great (at the time) but very inconsistent performance, and screaming runaways. We are *a lot* smarter now and I at least know not to run 6" of pitch.

I wouldn't recommend anyone go buy a 40FSR because there are much better alternatives. But, since you already have it, it's worth a try. If you can get it to run in a stable manner (which I think pretty much requires 4" or pitch or so and pretty good inflight RPM) and it's not worn it, it will be a great performer. But don't be too disappointed if you experience some issues.

Brett

Offline Gary Anderson

• Captain
« Reply #16 on: September 10, 2010, 10:05:29 PM »
Hi guys,

I posted a couple of pictures of this engine, which looks like an OS Engine???? If you notice the venturie its one off a evo 36, ran the OS today and she did great with this venturie set up. I was able to lean her up, richen her up, it seemed to work just fine. I wonder if the OS40VF could use the evo 36 set up and work. Yes ya have to drill and tap a couple of holes. The fuel is wildcat 10/22 and that seemed to work okay also???? I hope she works in the air, on my bench test we held her level, stuck her nose up and she seems to come back to a nice 2 cycle???? I even held her nose up for thirty seconds and she still came back to a nice 2 cycle. Hand on bottom of engine while shes running, nice and cool. After she ran out of fuel, wasn't very warm???? Brett says don't buy this engine???? I'm sure he's right but the way she's running at the moment seems kinda hard to beat. This one was given to me but e-bay sell this engine very cheap and if it will do what the OS40Vf will do, seems like it worth playing with. I agree the 10/6 prop is wild for her but if ya look on mac's tuned system about this engine they recommend using a 10/6 at a million rpm's. As Randy said you'll lose a lot of friends if ya run the engine at that speed, the engine will do it, just not the correct way to run this engine. I believe this engine is lighter than the OS40VF???? I've copied down the information that Randy and Brett has listed here so when I put her in the air, I'll try to apply this information. I really appreciate you guys helping me on this project and hope I can give some good reports in the future.

Thank You

Gary
« Last Edit: September 10, 2010, 10:58:55 PM by Gary Anderson »
Gary Anderson

Offline Gary Anderson

• Captain
« Reply #17 on: September 12, 2010, 11:17:52 AM »
Hi Randy,

I ran some more test on her today using different fuels. We ran her on 10/22 wildcat using a OS A3 glow plug, she didn't want to run any slower than 11,700. If I tried to richen her up she would just start coughing. The next run I ran 5/22 Wildcat fuel using the OS A3 glow plug. With the same needle setting she fired up around 8,300. I turn the needle until she was running 9,700, (still a little rich) and when I turned the nose up she straight to 12,900. I believe she likes to run with less oil, around the 20%. What is your opinion, should it run on the 20% and am I using the correct glow plug???? I appreciate your input, Gary (Man is she healthy, wow) At the moment I'm using a T/F wide 11/4, cause that's what I have on hand, will change later. Thank you
Gary Anderson

Offline Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #18 on: September 12, 2010, 04:17:25 PM »
The next run I ran 5/22 Wildcat fuel using the OS A3 glow plug. With the same needle setting she fired up around 8,300. I turn the needle until she was running 9,700, (still a little rich) and when I turned the nose up she straight to 12,900.

Wait till the first time that happens in the air! Good news is that the engine seems to be in at least decent shape.

Brett

Offline RandySmith

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • Aero Products
« Reply #19 on: September 12, 2010, 04:47:51 PM »
Hi Randy,

I ran some more test on her today using different fuels. We ran her on 10/22 wildcat using a OS A3 glow plug, she didn't want to run any slower than 11,700. If I tried to richen her up she would just start coughing. The next run I ran 5/22 Wildcat fuel using the OS A3 glow plug. With the same needle setting she fired up around 8,300. I turn the needle until she was running 9,700, (still a little rich) and when I turned the nose up she straight to 12,900. I believe she likes to run with less oil, around the 20%. What is your opinion, should it run on the 20% and am I using the correct glow plug???? I appreciate your input, Gary (Man is she healthy, wow) At the moment I'm using a T/F wide 11/4, cause that's what I have on hand, will change later. Thank you

Hi Gary

You have a few things off, first all you need a 265 to 280 diameter venturie (restrictor) with a spray bar going thru it...DO NOT try to run and launch the plane in the 85 to 9500 RPM range, if you run a 11.5 x 4 prop you are going to be over 10,000 RPMs or you will be going too slow. If you  have a venturie with no bar thru it and it is as big as the EVO ones this is like using a 325 sized venturie in the conventional setups
The venturie you have now is NOT what you want to use, it is way too big.
Use to start 5 to 10% nitrofuel with 20 to 22 % oil I would use at least 1/2 or 3/4 synthetic oil, The OS plug would work but I would start with a T BOLT Big Bore 2 and 4 cycle.
Doing the above you will really close the gap between the extreme RPMs
As Far as props go the CF hand made ones are best, however you can also use these that are cheap
TF 12 x 4 cut to 11.5 or 11.3 inches
Cyclone 11 x 4.5 as is
Pro Zinger 12 x 4 cut to 11.3 inches

Randy

Offline Gary Anderson

• Captain
« Reply #20 on: September 12, 2010, 10:04:18 PM »
Thank you Randy, I appreciate your input. I will get the proper venturie set up. Brett thank you I hope you're correct saying that the engine is probably okay. I need to be sure the engine is okay before I build a plane around her. I asked Kaz about the OS 40 FSR and Randy is correct Kaz said he likes the OS 40 FSR over the OS 40 VF. He said he still has the 40 FSR and was thinking about using her again. Brett I have a run away with every engine I use so I guess it wouldn't be a surprise to me if it happened. I appreciate your input and hope to see ya at the Golden State Contest, Gary
Gary Anderson

Offline Bill Morell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #21 on: September 17, 2010, 07:44:37 PM »
If you take the back plate off and have a "S" stamped on the counter balance you have the stunt version. The timing is a bit different on the crank then the R/C version and a little bit more manageable run.
Bill Morell
It wasn't that you could and others couldn't, its that you did and others didn't.
Vietnam 72-73
  Better to have it and not need it than it is to need it and not have it.

Offline Steve Helmick

• Admiral
« Reply #22 on: September 17, 2010, 09:42:34 PM »
We had a guy using one of those .40FSR's on a Profile Cardinal, with a 12-5 RevUp. Dunno the rest of the details of the setup, as he sorta disappeared.  :'( Steve
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Offline Gary Anderson

• Captain
« Reply #23 on: November 24, 2010, 01:41:40 PM »
Hi guys,

Well I'm still having fun with this engine. I got a pipe system off of evil-bay for very little money. Probably a waste of money but the pipe system seems to be working on this baby. I need to get the correct venturie, prop, glow plug and then maybe she'll be okay. At the moment she starts first flip and is running at 10400 rpm's level, when ya turn the nose up she goes to 11200 rpm's and she doesn't seem to sag any. Maybe this coming friday I'll be able to put her in the air. Wish Brett could be there, cause I'm sure he's correct and I would love to give him a laugh. I have the engine mounted on a close to sixty size ship. Its a home made junker I call My Mess after Larry's Mo' Best. The wing is design after the shark 45, fuse is Larry's Mo' Best, stab and tail area is just a pipe dream. The plane flys well with several different engines I've used on her so maybe she won't go a million miles an hour with the famous OS Max 40 FSR ABC. Ha Ha just having fun but I do like to see Brett smile!! Gary
« Last Edit: November 27, 2010, 12:36:29 AM by Gary Anderson »
Gary Anderson

Offline Mike Greb

• 24 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #24 on: November 28, 2010, 05:19:01 AM »
I had both the stunt and the rc version of the 40 FSR,  I liked the r/c version better.  Both of those motors were ringed, and the ringed motors were very variable depending on how well the ring fitted.  In navy carrier we used to take 35fp piston and liner sets to convert th 40fsr to a 35.  we would use the wristpin as a stop and use a small dremel engraving tool to grind circlip grooves in the piston.  That was quick and dirty, but it worked.  I think the 40 fp liners fit the 40fsr case, but finding new or servicable sets now is next to impossable without stripping a running motor.

Offline Gary Anderson

• Captain
« Reply #25 on: February 27, 2011, 06:36:00 PM »
Hi guys,
I'm back playing with the OS 40 FSR on Mac's Pipe System. I purchased a nva from Randy and it works very well. Last night I drilled out the engine to receive the nva. I used a evo 36 venturie which seems to work very well with the set up. Took the set up to the field to maybe put her in the air. Well before I would try and put her in the air wanted to bench run her. When she started up she has running around 11,000 and didn't want to needle. Rich help me tighten the needle set up, (I wasn't use Randy'sset up and was afraid to get it to tight). I decided not to play with her after the 11,000 run. The engine didn't mind running that hard, just wasn't what I has looking for. I had changed the pipe length by adding four inches to the pipe. Mr. Frank William told me I needed to add at least this amount to get the run needed for stunt. After getting home my son and I decided to bench her. With no more air leak's she started and was tacking at 9,100 and sounded very nice and pulling like a truck. We all know that the tank shouldn't be vibrating and yes mine was. I held my hand on the tank and believe it or not the rpm's dropped to 8,400 and the little old OS 40 FSR didn't seem to care what I did to her, she just wanted to run. Just seems like to me there is so many things that could go wrong and many many place to check before ya find the problem. I still have several things that Randy has told me that needs to be done before she ready but at the moment she's really  a sweet heart.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2011, 12:08:07 PM by Gary Anderson »
Gary Anderson

Offline Ward Van Duzer

• Admiral
« Reply #26 on: March 04, 2011, 01:46:38 PM »
FWIW, Hunt, Pappas, and Rich Tower were running these in the NE for a while. If I recall Bob had his in one of the Genesis's(Sp?) Think he might have won the WC with one...

W.
I hate spelling errors, you mess up 2 letters and you are urined!

Don't hesitate to ask dumb questions.
They are easier to handle than dumb mistakes!  Ward-O AMA 6022

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #27 on: March 06, 2011, 10:28:06 PM »
FWIW, Hunt, Pappas, and Rich Tower were running these in the NE for a while. If I recall Bob had his in one of the Genesis's(Sp?) Think he might have won the WC with one...

W.

I think you are correct, Ward-O!   I seem to remember a conversation with Bobby about that.  He had run the OS .40H (F-105), the ST .46 (originally in the Genesis .46), then switched to the FSR.  His "1980" Genesis" is also called the Genesis .40.  Haven't talked to him about the power he used it it, though.

It's funny that the Genesis .46 (Mk III?) plans show a ST .46 and it's noted that it is  "Rich Tower modified".  I think he switched to the FSR and used his homemade wooden 3 bladers for the Worlds.

Bill
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Offline Gary Anderson

• Captain
« Reply #28 on: March 16, 2011, 01:17:36 PM »
Hi Randy and Brett,

I installed Randy's nva in the engine, drilled out the venturie to .265, using a carbon pipe furnished by Rich Walbridge, which is set at 19.5". With a 11/4 the engine likes to run around 11200 and sounds very good. I tried a 12/5 and she likes to run around 8900.  I flew her the other day using to small of a venturie, lap time was slow (5.8 ) but the plane flew quite well considering the lap time. Was able to do several maneuvers and I was surprised the lines stayed tight. Some remember Mr. Bob Swan, well he's back playing with us and suggested that I should be launching at 11200. We had ten different fliers at the field and I told Bob I wanted to change a few things before I did another flight on her.

Question: if I enlarged the venturie to 280 would this give me more power?? What will happen if I change the pipe setting to 18.5"???? Brett told me to try a 12/4 prop not a 12/5, see what happens when ya don't remember what your suppost to???? I'm really happy with this little engine and she pulls like to truck.

Gary

(EDIT: to move the ")" away form the "8" and not give us the sunglasses emoticon in 5.8 lap time  ;D )
« Last Edit: March 16, 2011, 02:00:58 PM by Bill Little »
Gary Anderson

Offline Gary Anderson

• Captain
« Reply #29 on: March 22, 2011, 05:14:24 PM »
Hi guys,

I had a little more fun with the OS 40 FSR. I used a Brodak 11/5 wide prop, 10% with 22%oil, same plane (61 ounces), flying on 62' lines, Lap time is 5 seconds flat, pulls like a truck. Launched her at 11,000 R's, she ran great couldn't tell if she was picking up R's when I pulled the nose up but she wasn't sagging. I test run her on the ground before and at 11,000 R's when I pulled the nose up, she would drop off 200 R's, so I richen her up maybe a 1/8 turn, R's didn't change but when I turned her nose up she gained 200 R's. Don't know why?? that just the way it seems to be working. The sound doesn't seem to change with either setting, just found this to be interesting?? Bill asked on this forum if it was worth purchasing this type and the OS SF motors, I have both engines and if ya set them up correctly you'll have a winner. I wanted one of the OS VF engines but that cost a lot more money and I don't believe you'll get anymore for your money??? If you follow what Randy tell ya to do with this engine I believe you will be a happy camper.

Gary
Gary Anderson

Offline RandySmith

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • Aero Products
« Reply #30 on: March 22, 2011, 07:10:17 PM »
Hi guys,

I had a little more fun with the OS 40 FSR. I used a Brodak 11/5 wide prop, 10% with 22%oil, same plane (61 ounces), flying on 62' lines, Lap time is 5 seconds flat, pulls like a truck. Launched her at 11,000 R's, she ran great couldn't tell if she was picking up R's when I pulled the nose up but she wasn't sagging. I test run her on the ground before and at 11,000 R's when I pulled the nose up, she would drop off 200 R's, so I richen her up maybe a 1/8 turn, R's didn't change but when I turned her nose up she gained 200 R's. Don't know why?? that just the way it seems to be working. The sound doesn't seem to change with either setting, just found this to be interesting?? Bill asked on this forum if it was worth purchasing this type and the OS SF motors, I have both engines and if ya set them up correctly you'll have a winner. I wanted one of the OS VF engines but that cost a lot more money and I don't believe you'll get anymore for your money??? If you follow what Randy tell ya to do with this engine I believe you will be a happy camper.

Gary

HI Gary

You may want to use a 275 venturie and a 11x4.5 Cyclone, 11.5 x 4.5 wood TF or similar, or CF 11.25 x 4.25 Bolly or similar. You could also try a 11x 4 Pro Z or 11 x 5 ProZ  I would also try a 18 3/4 inch Pipe length with these, 10% nitro and you should have a good time testing these setups

Randy

Offline Gary Anderson

• Captain
« Reply #31 on: March 22, 2011, 07:42:48 PM »
Thank You Randy,

I'll give that set up a try, should I run her around the same R's?? Would the bolly prop be the best for this set up and do you have the prop in stock?? Would I run around the same R's that I'm running now?? I found it very interest that I moved the needle valve just a bit and it didn't change the rpm's. Couldn't hear a difference in sound just gained a few more rpm's when I turned the nose up. At the moment I'm very happy with the engine. The other day I got to messing with her and set the needle to lean, believe it or not she was turning over 17,000 rpm's. The instruction state that the engine range is 11,000 to 15,000. I didn't realize that the engine could turn that many rpm's. The sad part was that the engine didn't seem to care, it was pulling so hard I was afraid she was going to rip out of the front end, she wanted to go baby, WOW!! I'm going to have to find a header that wraps around the engine so I can put her in a build up fuse. Randy do you have one of these headers??? I used the metal pipe and I used the carbon pipe and couldn't tell the difference?? When I was doing maneuvers you could see a very nice trail of smoke. I guess I'll either make a different header or build a plane so I can mount the engine on a degree. I sure like this baby, it flys a lot like a electric plane, even pull where ever she's at. Gary
Gary Anderson

Offline Gary Anderson

• Captain
« Reply #32 on: April 10, 2011, 10:56:21 PM »
Hi Randy,

I found something interesting, I hadn't installed a fuel filter, so I installed one and guess what???? It changed the engine rpm's, the r's dropped 500 r's. I couldn't get the engine back to 11,100 rpm's. I guess the filter restricted the fuel to the venturie??? Wonder if I could install the .275 to make up for the filter (at the moment I'm using a .265)???? I don't want to do much until I try the different props I have on order. I've found that the FSR is a very good strong engine and ya have to be very careful that you don't get it out of its happy mode. If you try one you'll be happy if!!! you listen to Randy about setting her up.

Thank You for Your Help Randy.
Gary
Gary Anderson

Offline RandySmith

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • Aero Products
« Reply #33 on: April 11, 2011, 08:26:22 PM »
Hi Randy,

I found something interesting, I hadn't installed a fuel filter, so I installed one and guess what???? It changed the engine rpm's, the r's dropped 500 r's. I couldn't get the engine back to 11,100 rpm's. I guess the filter restricted the fuel to the venturie??? Wonder if I could install the .275 to make up for the filter (at the moment I'm using a .265)???? I don't want to do much until I try the different props I have on order. I've found that the FSR is a very good strong engine and ya have to be very careful that you don't get it out of its happy mode. If you try one you'll be happy if!!! you listen to Randy about setting her up.

Thank You for Your Help Randy.
Gary

Hi

There  is NO reason as  fuel filter  would drop RPMS, did you install a fuel or  air filter??

Regards
Randy

Offline Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #34 on: April 11, 2011, 10:33:21 PM »
Hi Randy,

I found something interesting, I hadn't installed a fuel filter, so I installed one and guess what???? It changed the engine rpm's, the r's dropped 500 r's. I couldn't get the engine back to 11,100 rpm's. I guess the filter restricted the fuel to the venturie???

There's something very wrong here - the filter should have negligible effect on the fuel flow compared to the needle. What kind of filter did you use?  And, when you added it, is there any possibility that you either kinked the line or have an air leak in the filter? Don't change anything else on the engine, there is definitely something with your installation that is causing this.

Brett

Offline Gary Anderson

• Captain
« Reply #35 on: April 11, 2011, 11:42:37 PM »
Hi guys,

When she couldn't get the same R's that I was running before. I removed the fuel filter and the R's returned to normal. I wouldn't have believed it could do what it did but she did. I'm going to try a different fuel filter and see if it does he same thing. Brett could be correct that the filter has a air leak. I pressure tested the filter and she didn't seem to have any air leaks??? Don't know why it would make a difference, the filter seemed to be clear with good air flow??? I honestly think that the .265 venturie is almost to small and the .275 could help out. At the moment the engine is just running very sweet and pulling my plane just great. I don't believe I want anymore power but once I get the props I have on order I'm going to play with her. Every time I try something and it doesn't work on that sweetheart the group, at the field, keeps telling me leave it alone, its great the way it is. I believe this set up would fly my strega and out perform the engine I have in the strega. After I try a different filter I'll report back. I appreciate all your help.
Thank You
Gary
Gary Anderson

Offline Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #36 on: April 12, 2011, 12:02:40 PM »
When she couldn't get the same R's that I was running before. I removed the fuel filter and the R's returned to normal. I wouldn't have believed it could do what it did but she did. I'm going to try a different fuel filter and see if it does he same thing. Brett could be correct that the filter has a air leak. I pressure tested the filter and she didn't seem to have any air leaks??? Don't know why it would make a difference, the filter seemed to be clear with good air flow??? I honestly think that the .265 venturie is almost to small and the .275 could help out. At the moment the engine is just running very sweet and pulling my plane just great.

There's nothing wrong with trying a larger venturi, but I wouldn't change anything until the filter is sorted out, that definitely IS NOT right and there is something screwy going on.

What filter are you running?  And, when you put the filter in, did it go lean or rich? Did you have to screw the needle in or out to get it to run faster?

Brett

Offline Gary Anderson

• Captain
« Reply #37 on: April 12, 2011, 03:14:21 PM »
Hi Brett,
The engine dropped in rpm's and wouldn't go leaner, it would just start to quit. The filter is a two part with a mesh screen. I don't believe its the filter, I think you where correct about air leaks. I was going to try a different type filter today. The first flight the engine started and needled great without a filter. Took off and did the six laps went into the wing over when I came out inverted she quit. I tried to remove the fuel from the tank and the fuel wouldn't draw. Took the tank apart and everything seemed okay, fuel lines seemed okay. Only think I can figure is the clunk must have got stuck??? The next flight she was great???? I believe I'm going to install a metal tank and change all fuel lines and install the new filter I have and try she. Every little thing makes a difference. Do you think changing the tank and lines will help. I checked all the bolts on the engine and they seem to be okay. I appreciate your input.
Gary
Gary Anderson

Offline Gary Anderson

• Captain
« Reply #38 on: April 13, 2011, 05:39:34 PM »
Hi guys,
Today I installed a new type fuel filter, with the .265 venturie she wouldn't come up in rpm's. I changed the venturie to the .275 venturie and she is a dream again. She uses a little more fuel with the .275 and seems to have more pull. She just loves to run around 11,200 and when ya pull the nose up she increases very little in rpm's. Can't wait to get to the field Friday to see how well she will on load when she goes in the air. With the .265 she had a nice smoke trail, wonder if the smoke trail will be more???? I was going to change out the fuel lines and install a different type tank, I believe I'll wait to see how she acts in the air. Darn two days to wait and probably have no wind and sun in my eyes.
Gary
Gary Anderson

Offline Ted Fancher

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #39 on: April 16, 2011, 03:32:58 PM »
Bob Hunt did, in fact, win the 1976 World Championship individual crown with the Genesis powered by a .40 FSR swinging a home made three blade wooden prop he assembled himself using machined almuminum clamping washers which locked the blades (from Rev Up props as I recall) using a clever tongue and groove with the tongues in the washers and the grooves in the blades.  Typically Bobby clever and immaculately created.

I've said this before and still believe it to be true.  I don't think stunt has ever had a more innovative and competitively competent individual than Bob Hunt.  And in this event of a lot of such people, that's saying a lot.  We've been lucky to have him.

Ted Fancher

Offline Gary Anderson

• Captain
« Reply #40 on: April 16, 2011, 07:43:41 PM »
Hi Ted,
This is very true about Mr Hunt but don't forget about Mr. Ted Fancher. The articles you wrote and the help you have offered to many. Without your help and many others, this sport wouldn't be here today. I thank all that has made this possible for me.

Now, my report on the little, mean, happy OS 40 FSR. I installed a fuel filter, air filter and changed to the .275 venturie. The first couple of flights was in the 4.7 range, a little over seven minute flight with 4.5 ounces of fuel turning 11,200 rpm's. In about a lap and a half you could hear the engine unload and go into a great happy mode. Still haven't received the props and items I order from Randy, so still using the 11/5 Brodak Y O prop. The third flight I tried to turn down the R's a couple of hundred to slow down the laps ( really not the way to do this, just needed the proper prop). As it turned out that sweet baby was giving me 5.0 laps and sounded out of this world. About half way through, (the vertical eights) she quit, Yes right on top, so I got lucky and saved her for another day. Not having the correct glow plug, it gave up for the ghost. Sunday is around the corner and I can't wait to have a few more rounds with her. I just love her to pieces that little sweet heart.
Gary
« Last Edit: April 18, 2011, 08:52:05 AM by Gary Anderson »
Gary Anderson

Offline Ted Fancher

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #41 on: April 18, 2011, 05:01:38 PM »
Hi Ted,
This is very true about Mr Hunt but don't forget about Mr. Ted Fancher. The articles you wrote and the help you have offered to many. Without your help and many others, this sport wouldn't be here today. I thank all that has made this possible for me.
snip

Gary,

That's very kind and thank you.

As I see it, however, I pontificate a lot (sometimes with some good stuff) but Bob has always put his effort where his innovation lead him and then offered the fruit of both to the entire stunt family at--always--bargain prices.  Plus, the guy can really fly these things.

Ted

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #42 on: April 19, 2011, 01:30:03 PM »
Well, I have some experience with Ted. All I can say is:    BW@
Member in good standing of P.I.S.T
(Politically Incorrect Stunt Team)
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Gary Anderson

• Captain
« Reply #43 on: May 25, 2011, 10:25:25 AM »
Hi guys,

I'm sure the group is getting tired of hearing about my little OS Max 40 FSR but if ya get one be sure ya follow what Randy tells ya. I received the props and glow plugs from Randy the other day and yes I had to start playing again. I installed the T-Bolt glow plug that Randy told me to use. At the moment I'm using the thunder tiger prop recommended by Randy, ( 11/4.5) The pipe length is 18.75 as recommended by Randy. 10/21 fuel, setting the rpm's at 11,400 and ya can hear her unload in the air.  Weighted the plane again, 62 ounces. Lap time is 4.9 to 5.2 which is great for me. Line length is 63'. I've run five gallons of fuel thru this little baby and she is just getting better. Thank you Randy for all your help, I'm really enjoying playing with this baby.

Gary
« Last Edit: May 25, 2011, 05:58:59 PM by Gary Anderson »
Gary Anderson

Offline Balsa Butcher

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
  • High Desert Flier
« Reply #44 on: May 26, 2011, 04:08:47 PM »
Getting tired of....heck I'm getting inspired to dig out the one that I have in the bottom of my engine box and give it a try. Thanks for keeping us in the loop.  8)
Pete Cunha
Sacramento CA.
AMA 57499

Offline Peter Nevai

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
    • C3EL
« Reply #45 on: May 30, 2011, 07:19:19 PM »
Hi guys, I have 2 of these engines, both former RC jobs. I actually have the OS stunt venturies that were sold for these. I have no idea what the diameter is of these but I expect they are too large. Any way, I figure  that Randy can supply the proper size slugs so I have other questions.

First is there a side to rear tuned pipe manifold for these?
Second is there a relitively inexpensive 3 blade prop that would be suitable?

Next I'll have to find a kit this engine would be happy in that is of reasonable size but that has a pipe tunnel.

BTW. This was the only engine that I ever had that actually started without the battery attached. Very Scary.
Words Spoken by the first human to set foot on Mars... "Now What?"

Offline Gary Anderson

• Captain
« Reply #46 on: May 30, 2011, 10:48:50 PM »
Hi guys, I have 2 of these engines, both former RC jobs. I actually have the OS stunt venturies that were sold for these. I have no idea what the diameter is of these but I expect they are too large. Any way, I figure  that Randy can supply the proper size slugs so I have other questions.

First is there a side to rear tuned pipe manifold for these?
Second is there a relitively inexpensive 3 blade prop that would be suitable?

Next I'll have to find a kit this engine would be happy in that is of reasonable size but that has a pipe tunnel.

BTW. This was the only engine that I ever had that actually started without the battery attached. Very Scary.
Hi Pete,
I believe this little engine will carry any plane that a normal 60 size engine carries. The plane I'm using is a Shark 45 wing, a Larry Cuttinghan fuse and a stab section that I throw up. I'm using a 2 blade prop, the best at the moment is the thunder tigre 11/4.5. The best venturie size is the .275. I would spend some money and buy Randy's needle valve set up. I haven't found a side to rear manifold but could set engine on a angle?? I'm really happy with mine and believe most anyone would be. Gary
Gary Anderson

Offline Peter Nevai

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
    • C3EL
« Reply #47 on: May 31, 2011, 08:52:41 PM »
Well I looked up pipe headers, and the selection available is rediculous. .75 inch header diameter is bigger than the piston. That is for the Mac and Hp headers, Hp makes a wrap around. The tumed pipe diameter suggested is 1.5 inches wich would be greatet than the fuse dimension. Any setup using that setup would be god awful ugly. The pipe setup as big or bigger than the airplane, might work on a full size 60 but is rediculous on a 40. So if this engine cannot be tamed without a monstrous pipe setup, I'll pass on the using this engine. Makes me wonder what worked back in the day for this motor, or did bob or kaz hang a butt ugly monster pipe off the side.

Offline Steve Helmick

• Admiral
« Reply #48 on: June 01, 2011, 11:44:43 AM »
Well I looked up pipe headers, and the selection available is rediculous. .75 inch header diameter is bigger than the piston. That is for the Mac and Hp headers, Hp makes a wrap around. The tumed pipe diameter suggested is 1.5 inches wich would be greatet than the fuse dimension. Any setup using that setup would be god awful ugly. The pipe setup as big or bigger than the airplane, might work on a full size 60 but is rediculous on a 40. So if this engine cannot be tamed without a monstrous pipe setup, I'll pass on the using this engine. Makes me wonder what worked back in the day for this motor, or did bob or kaz hang a butt ugly monster pipe off the side.

Peter...Have you got a url for HP headers? I tried Google and got a lot of automotive links and some Hewlett-Packard links. TIA,  H^^ Steve
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Offline Peter Nevai

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
    • C3EL
« Reply #49 on: June 01, 2011, 02:44:02 PM »
The Mecoa website still claims they have them.

http://www.mecoa.com/acc/pipes/hppipe.htm

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here