News:

• April 27, 2024, 02:52:05 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: OS Max 25 FSR needle valve  (Read 939 times)

Offline Tony Eyers

• Trade Count: (0)
  • New Pilot
OS Max 25 FSR needle valve
« on: September 27, 2023, 02:44:12 AM »
Hi all. Back in the sport after a break of almost 50 years. Loving it. I've built a Magician, with a 25 LA, a Flite Streak, with a 20 FP, and an Orcrist combat wing, with a Taipan 15. All fly well, the pilot is slowly re-learning old skills. I certainly appreciate how much easier the newer OS engines are to start, compared to the various units I had back in the day.

I've recently bought an OS 25 FSR. Looks new, it will get to Australia (where I am) in about 3 weeks. I'll build a Riley Wooten Demon for it, the extra power (compared to my 25 LA and 20 FP) should move it around nicely.

Only problem. The engine appears to be lacking a needle valve (the spray bar is in place). I was aware of this when I made the purchase, I'll need to find a replacement. In particular, I can source locally an Enya 25S Needle Valve Assembly with the following dimensions:

Spray Bar Diameter   3.98   mm
Spray Bar Length   12.5   mm
Thread length   12.5   mm
Nipple Length   6.0   mm
Overall Length   33.6   mm
Fuel Hole Offset   8.5   mm
Fuel Hole Size   1.0   mm

Does anyone know if this will fit the OS 25 FSR? In particular, if the spray bar diameter is the same, then I should be able to get everything else to line up.

Offline Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: OS Max 25 FSR needle valve
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2023, 07:44:32 AM »
  If you fail to find an OEM needle, replace the whole assembly with whatever will fit in the hole. The .25 FSRs don't appear to be too  common in the US. There is a surplus parts place in Japan that may be worth looking into in your case. I think it's called R/C Parts Japan, or something like that. You might find it by searching the forum here as it has been talked about a lot.
  Type at you later,
   Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824
AMA 480405 (American Motorcyclist Association)

Offline Reptoid

• Captain
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2023, 01:53:00 PM »
If you're going to fly it on a Demon as you said, I would use a remote needle with just a fuel fitting going into the venturi. You can use the std. spray bar; just plug up the needle valve side.
Regards,
       Don
       AMA # 3882

Offline Dave Hull

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2023, 04:07:06 PM »
Tony,

I looked at two .25FSR cases that I have handy. They are not molded identically, but both are "ball-raced," (Brit talk) so neither is an early FP. The R/C version of the FSR came with 3.5mm "grub screws" (more Brit mechanic talk) and the holes on one case were about .162" and the other at .146".  That leads me to believe that one of the cases has been reamed out.

The case width at the NVA bosses is not the same between the two cases, either. One is .665" and the other is .570". The narrower venturi boss has raised edges on the back presumably to stop rotation of a control line NVA? I suspect that the beefier venturi boss case is the earlier version. The only other difference that I can see is that the boss with the "25" on it has a raised rim on the suspected earlier case.

The bore for the venturi on both my cases measure out around .396-.397".

These are quite powerful engines for their size and date. I had one on a Nobler, but never did figure out how to manage the power level. I think I would have needed a tunapipe....

One case packaging (black and white style) OS  25-FSR. Part number 22601002. One case is embossed "2601"
I might have used a 22312000 venturi intended for the .20-.25FP-S.
I might have used a 22311000 needle valve assembly intended for the .20 to .40FP-S

You might find more information here: INSTRUCTIONS FOR ο.ε. MAX-25FSR - RC Groups

Welcome back to flying and good luck!

Dave

Offline Air Ministry .

• Admiral
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2023, 09:21:12 PM »
With the clone Magnum , which is cinch bar , I threw in a 7.5 mm bore Fox BB 25 intake , Filed to smaller spigot .
Used a old rattly Taipan N V A  , Goes thru outside the case . Gave a marvelous run . I figure it works like a Weber
emulsification tube - as it ran sh*t if I seaed the needle with fuel tube .

Finger Tip on Needle to shift on one side  only ratchety lock , it'd rock & run clean . Click - click , sensitive Adjustment .
Back to Marvelous burbble Finger OFF .

Tank was angle cut straight vent . Outside of tank level with NVA ( fore & aft ) .

Worn to 9 1/2 flexi Tornado 10 x 6 , or a Black 9 x 6 , or a black 9 x 4 if your having trouble in the wind .
Gives a Good Load Response to gusts , Also , Rich / Full 4 stroke in level flight . Max Lean running across the top of the circle -
As LEVEL all the fuels inside of ( the circle ) it . Overhead , its all Under It . So Progressive power up with altitude and a 4-2 break .
Brake ? Downhill .

In a 48 ounce Nobler size thing . on 55 foot of .018 in gales , to 70 foot of .012 , tho has dragged itself thru the schedule on slack . 016 at 70 foot .
Keeps on keeping on . Pulled all the FSR's down ( Was given a TT clone & a OS for $ 10 ) ALL had grtty bearings . BOTHER . Tho the 250.000 mile
Magnums are just loose & not really gritty , thyre a bit past it . So maybe pull the backplate & get a flashlite in there to see if its all brown &  gloopy .

IF its ' fresh ' it may well be fine . But seems the r c blokes mostly throw them aside unflush'n'oiled . So they rot from the nitro & need a clean up
Three out of three , in this case . If the Oxide comes away running , there goes your cylinder fit - So eyeball the inside of it before , justin Case .

Offline Air Ministry .

• Admiral
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2023, 09:30:57 PM »
FOUND IT .

The Olde Battle Axe .
More revelations in glorious technicolour HERE : https://stunthanger.com/smf/open-forum/tank-mounting-questions/msg454546/#msg454546 CLICK for larger than life illustrations .

Itll go straight in , if you use a big enough hammer , but its probly better to take a half milimeter off the outside there , so it fits good .
You can see its earned its keep , likely well past 10 gallons , and the tank gave ten minutes , It'd run  on any fuel . but its SIDE MOUNTED .
A old K&B 3.5 schneurle muffler with one outlet blocked , slung on the side - a 1 inch odd x 2 inch ish tube muffler - with a 8 mm bore outlet .
more or less . A line end eyelet or two twixt nuts & intake , sealing there . But the needles slack and rattles on the lightly tensioned single arm clicker .

Offline Tony Eyers

• New Pilot
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2023, 11:08:39 PM »
Hi all. Thanks for the pointers. I should be able to figure out a way forward.

Upon returning to the sport I've been struck how helpful and friendly folk are, both here and at my local club.. No surprise really, but pleasant nonetheless.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here