News:

• May 01, 2024, 04:57:14 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: OS .46LA vrs OS.40LA???  (Read 2736 times)

Offline Jerry Bohn

• ACE
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Commander
OS .46LA vrs OS.40LA???
« on: August 16, 2006, 08:00:19 PM »
I have been flying a ARF Cardinal with an OS.46LA up front. From the very start I have had very good luck with this combination. Uniflo vented, 11/5 APC, toung muffler. Sig 15%(mainly cause I fly at 5000') 20-1/2x1/2 lub.
I purchased an OS .40LA at the same time as the .46LA but have never used it except to break it in on the bench.
My question is, why is the .46LA reccomended by many folks on the forums which I can agree with thru experience, while the .40LA is often said to be inferior to the.46. Power not being the issue. UN-reliability and being user un-friendly seems to be mentioned mostly about the .40LA.
It seems to me that both of the motors should be equal excert a slight increase in power for the .46.
I wish to use the .40 at this time but do not wish to have to work out engine run problems.
Jerry Bohn

Offline Tom Perry

• Captain
Re: OS .46LA vrs OS.40LA???
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2006, 08:53:59 PM »
Jerry,

The 46 weighs slightly less than the 40 which may be a slight advantage.  The 46 must be flown with ,018 lines vs .15 for the 40. which may be a slight disadvantage.  I'm putting a .40 on my Cardinal.  I live slightly above sea level and the 40 is more than enough power.  You should be able to increase your nitro a little and use a higher pitched prop and make out fine with the 40.  From some of your past posts I know you were using a 9x5 on your la .25 where I use a 9x4 for a similar weight plane.  I just bought a pack of 11x4 props for my LA .40s and use 10% nitro and 22% oil (50/50).

I think you ought to try the 40 in the interest of science.  #^  Let us know how it goes.  I must have missed the bad things said about the 40 maybe it's because I have so many of them.  :!  Since the 40 and 46 use the same mounting holes you could try it on the plane you already have.
Tight lines,

Tom Perry
 Norfolk, Virginia

Offline Dennis Vander Kuur

• Commander
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2006, 10:04:43 PM »
Jerry,
I use an OS .40LA ,bought off EBay for $23, on my Brodak Pathfinder. The engine has performed admirably for the last 2 1/2 years. The plane has over 275 flights and the engine is still running great after 32 hours of run time. Except for a tongue muffler, the engine is stock right down to the plastic backplate. It pulls the 55"wingspan, 620 square inch Pathfinder fine even in strong winds (the one exception being last year during "Survival Stunt" at Polk City, Iowa where it was just one of many airplanes that crashed in the gusting 40 mph winds). The engine is reliable, and typically starts on the first flip. I use SIG 10% nitro Champion fuel (20% oil 50/50 castor/synthetic). I initially used a RevUp 10x6 wide wood prop but currently use an APC 10.5x4.5 prop. I have both OS .40LA and .46LA engines and they all run fine. Hope this info helps.
Dennis
Dennis L. Vander Kuur
AMA 29292

Offline Jerry Bohn

• ACE
  • Commander
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2006, 04:36:51 PM »
Tom & Dennis, thanks for reinforcing my thoughts that both engines should both be  similar in user friendly performance.
I plan to put the .40 in a profile Oriental which just needs covering and painting.
My choice in props and nitro is dictated by my altitude (5000'). Probably nitro more than prop. When I had some problems with engine run a few years ago, Bret Buck e-maild me and suggested the higher nitro(I was using 10%), even suggested trying 20% nitro if the 15% didn't work. The 15% worked just fine. My choice of props was based on how my slighty heavy Barnstormer (OS.25LA) flew after testing various props. Pehaps a 10x4 would have worked good if I had built a bit lighter. Don't know why but a choice of a 5 pitch prop no matter who the mfg. is seems to dial all my engines in to the right speed and perfomance.
Jerry Bohn

Offline Ron King

• Commander
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2006, 05:09:51 PM »
Jerry,

I am one of the people who have had "not so good" experience with the 40. The LA 46 runs great right out of the box. (Maybe add a shim if you need it.)

The 40 always seems to runaway and several engine experts around here (Virginia) have had the same experience. I was finally able to cure the problem with the help of Bob Zambelli. He converted one of my engines to a pure hemi head, as he has done for the FP 35. This cured the problem, but the engine is still heavier and not as strong as the 46.

I saw Dennis fly his at FCM and still think it's a 46.  <=

I hope you have a good experience with yours. Mine have been permanently retired.

Ron
Ron King
AMA AVP District 4
Wannabe Stunt Pilot since 1963
 Amateurs practice until they get it right; Pros practice until they cannot get it wrong.

Offline Jerry Bohn

• ACE
  • Commander
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2006, 06:59:45 PM »
Ron, Thanks for sharing youe experience. Bummer you have 4 fishing sinkers.
Now if we can find out why Tom and Dennis had good luck and you very poor.
Anybody out there care to guess why the diffrence?
Fuel, tank type or plug diffrences, atmosperic diffrences or just plain bad batch of 4.
Jerry Bohn

Offline Patrick Rowan

• AMA Member
  • Commander
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2006, 07:04:11 PM »
At Brodaks this year I flew An Oriental with A OS LA .46, APC 11-4 prop in Classic.

In OTS I flew a Viking powered by an OS LA .40, APC 10-4.

Both engines ran great.
Fly Stunt
Poland, Ohio

Offline Dennis Vander Kuur

• Commander
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2006, 11:58:14 PM »
Ron,
Sorry.  n1 It IS just a .40 (the piston & liner from a LA 46 are too big in diameter to fit in the LA 40 case).
I think the APC prop is one of the major reasons my LA 40 runs so well. I do not try to slow the engine down. I let it run fast. Because of the relatively low pitch of the APC 10.5 x 4.5 prop the plane flies at a reasonable speed. When my engine is first started, it is needled so it sounds like it is running in a wet 2 cycle. However, as I start to walk out to the handle the engine has warmed up and I can hear it "kick in" to a lean 2 cycle full song scream. The engine does not run away during the flight because it is already running wide open.
I enjoyed watching your electric "Shocker" fly at FCM. Hope we get to see more of it.
Dennis
Dennis L. Vander Kuur
AMA 29292

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here