News:

• April 27, 2024, 11:24:07 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: OS .46 sfs  (Read 2131 times)

Offline Jerry Bohn

• ACE
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Commander
OS .46 sfs
« on: March 19, 2006, 08:12:41 PM »
I purchased an OS .46sfs about 6 years ago and sent it to Tom Dixon to do his "Right Stuff". Haven't put it in a plane and was wondering if it would power a Super Chief. Also any tricks for setting up tank, prop,fuel etc.
Jerry Bohn

Offline Manuel Cortes

• Commander
Re: OS .46 sfs
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2006, 12:15:12 AM »
Hello;

In my personal experience, a good setup is;

5 Oz tank uniflow vented (adjusting lately to the consumption, probably no more than 4,5 Oz)
11x6 to 12x5 prop, depending on your taste, model weight & drag...
fuel; 22% castor 5% nitro
        25% oil (half sinthetic, half castor) 5% nitro.

In my opinion, power delivery will be OK for Super Chief, Magnum, 660 Stiletto, Maikis Indigo.

Best with average weight in the 55 ounces range.

Regards from Spain.

Offline Jerry Bohn

• ACE
  • Commander
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2006, 09:44:04 AM »
Manuel, Thank you for sharing your experience. I will follow your advice and see what happens.
I had heard this engine had close to the power of a .60 engine. What is your opinion of that?
As I fly at an altitude of 5000ft. my only change to your suggestions would be to use 10% nitro which is common for higher altitude engine runs.

Thanks Again, Jerry Bohn
Jerry Bohn

Offline Andrew Hathaway

• Captain
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2006, 02:06:42 PM »
I bought two of the 46 SF-S's back when they were still being produced.  They weren't really popular at the time.  They're nicely made and don't weigh all that much considering its a ball bearing RC engine.  Get rid of the factory muffler and they really start to look nice. 

I ran one stock, it was more touchy then any FP.  Had needle setting issues, run aways, short runs, etc.. I hung the plane at the local hobby shop for a few years, when they moved I got the plane back and sent the engine to Lew Woolard (Silver Fox) and had him rework it.  After that we gave it a few test runs, then put it back on the same plane (a very overweight profile Magnum).  It proved to run a lot better, nice consistent, etc...  Lots of power. 

I haven't gotten to fly it much because the fields I fly off here are too rough for the wing mounted gear, but it seemed to work well with a Rev-Up 12-5, and Sig 10% Champion fuel. 

Since you've had it reworked you might want to check with Dixon for a recommended setup.

Offline Manuel Cortes

• Commander
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2006, 02:52:22 AM »
Yes, it´s true.

I´ve some Dixon tuned engines and Tom allways included a letter with his recommendations in setup (including how to obtain the right NVA setting).

You´ve a very useful engine in my opinion.

Regards.

Offline Jerry Bohn

• ACE
  • Commander
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2006, 08:41:47 AM »
I did get the letter from Tom, and have cocidered what he recommends, I was just looking for some experienced help from someone who has actually flown it.
Years ago PAMPA Stunt news did a review of the engine but when comparing it to other .46's, they did not allow a modified version. Very unfair as some of the other engines had been modified. All they said was "it would pull most .60 size planes anywhere in the hemisphere", lotta help there.
Jerry Bohn

Offline Andrew Hathaway

• Captain
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2006, 11:51:52 AM »
I'd say the power is pretty close to a piped 46 VF or a ST 51...  It just never caught on and required work to make it run right.  Lack of power wasn't the problem so much as making the power suitable for C/L. 

Offline Jerry Bohn

• ACE
  • Commander
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2006, 12:27:22 PM »
I'm hoping Bob Dixon did the job right as per his usual fine stuff.
Jerry Bohn

Offline L0U CRANE

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2006, 12:37:11 PM »
Jerry,

I ran an OS 40SF-S for several years while they were being produced. Nice engine! Probably similar enough to your 46SF-S that this will be useful. The only thing not mentioned so far is tank height; all the rest is good, depending on your altitude. I'm also around 5K'.

Leave room to shift the tank both ways: closer to or further from the mount surface (presuming upright or inverted engine - no experience with it as profile.)  ASIR, a reference height center around 7/16" worked to get an even run both ways - memory can be faulty. it might have been 9/16"...

(Reference tank height center: I build the uniflo tube and pickup inside the tank at half height. The inner end of the uniflo vent tube is the reference location.)

SIG Champion 10-25 and 12-5 sound right, too. I used Rev-Up Wides, but they are scarce, now. Not fussy about plugs, as long as they were medium to hot.

Luck!

\BEST\LOU

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here