News:

• April 26, 2024, 08:03:18 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: OS .35S  (Read 1517 times)

Offline Trostle

• 22 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
OS .35S
« on: November 22, 2021, 02:00:36 PM »
There was a recent post in a thread on twin rudders that the OS .35S has not ever won the Nationals.  I posted that the winner of the 1970 Nats Open and Walker Cup was powered by the OS .35S.  (Also showed a picture of the airplane with the Walker Cup.)

I have since been informed by a competent authority that the OS .35S Powered the models flown by David Fitzgerald when he placed 1st in Junior Stunt at the 1977 Nats, also when he won 1st in Senior Stunt at the 1978 Nats and again when he won 1st in Senior Stunt at the 1979 Nats.  Also, the OS .35S powered the model by Jim McClellan when he won first in Junior Stunt at the 1981 Nats. 

So that is at least 5 first places at the Nats for the OS .35S.

Keith

Online Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: OS .35S
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2021, 08:33:11 PM »
There was a recent post in a thread on twin rudders that the OS .35S has not ever won the Nationals.  I posted that the winner of the 1970 Nats Open and Walker Cup was powered by the OS .35S.  (Also showed a picture of the airplane with the Walker Cup.)

I have since been informed by a competent authority that the OS .35S Powered the models flown by David Fitzgerald when he placed 1st in Junior Stunt at the 1977 Nats, also when he won 1st in Senior Stunt at the 1978 Nats and again when he won 1st in Senior Stunt at the 1979 Nats.  Also, the OS .35S powered the model by Jim McClellan when he won first in Junior Stunt at the 1981 Nats. 

Keith
I am quite glad to hear this!  I loved that motor and used it faithfully till the early 80's. 

Ken
AMA 15382
If it is not broke you are not trying hard enough.
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Offline Dennis Adamisin

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2022, 09:27:10 PM »

Keith

Keith
There was at least one more Senior & Walker Cup winner who used the OS35S in 1972..!
Denny Adamisin
Fort Wayne, IN

As I've grown older, I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake!

Online Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2022, 11:48:08 PM »
Keith
There was at least one more Senior & Walker Cup winner who used the OS35S in 1972..!
Ok, I submit.  I can't even remember the conversation where I was told that by a Fox 35 diehard.  It was so long ago and the person who told me is no longer with us.  Let it be shouted from the rooftops - The OS 35s has Won the Nationals several times! LL~

On a more curious note, Dennis did you ever fly that plane in Dallas?  It would have been around 75-77? 

Ken
AMA 15382
If it is not broke you are not trying hard enough.
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Offline Dennis Adamisin

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2022, 06:36:12 PM »
Ok, I submit.  I can't even remember the conversation where I was told that by a Fox 35 diehard.  It was so long ago and the person who told me is no longer with us.  Let it be shouted from the rooftops - The OS 35s has Won the Nationals several times! LL~

On a more curious note, Dennis did you ever fly that plane in Dallas?  It would have been around 75-77? 

Ken

Ken
Nope.  I was off to school then newly-wed in 75-77.  Only time I ever flew in TX was the NATs in Grand Prairie(?) in '81(?) and that was with a totally different bird.

Hmmm, any chance you were at the Team Trials in 1973 in St Louis?  if so you might have seen this one - also with an S-35...

Denny Adamisin
Fort Wayne, IN

As I've grown older, I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake!

Offline Air Ministry .

• Admiral
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2022, 07:46:20 PM »

???????? .35 R C ! . same injun. didit winit ? .

Offline Air Ministry .

• Admiral
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2022, 07:47:58 PM »

AND WHEN are DRAWINGS going to materialise for the FOGA's ?  :) 

and while we're at it , the tailplane doesnt thump through the wing wash like more mundane flat stab. ships , under duress . Have you noticed ! .

Offline Trostle

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2022, 01:48:59 PM »
Keith

Dennis,

I apologize for the omission.  Just like in your case, I had to be schooled in the successes that David Fitzgerald had with the OS .35S at the Nats.

Not only did you win Senior at the 72 Nats.  You also captured the Walker Cup.  The last Senior to do so.  (I was one of the few witnesses to that achievement.)  Your Magister won over the Open winning Sea Fury.  A good day for semi-scales.

Offline Trostle

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2022, 11:36:29 PM »

???????? .35 R C ! . same injun. didit winit ? .

I do not mean to hijack this thread on the OS 35S Nats record, but ---

The picture is of Daved Gierke's All-American Eagle (Model Airplane News, July, 1968).  He flew it at the 67 Nats in Los Alamitos.  When he opened its transportation box in the work hangar that one evening, the thing almost glowed with its superb finish as did all of Gierke's Novi series.  It featured an electronic controlled throttle/brake system so that the flight started at low throttle at release, brakes released, throttles up, after the pattern, thottles down, applies the brakes and engine shut down.  Required insulated lines.  Airborne portion of the system was 2 oz.  (Article for the mechanism was in Model Airplane News, August 1968.)   I never saw it fly with its throttle/brake thing working.

Gierke was a very good flyer and campaigned several years with these designs, using the OS 35S.

Keith

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here