News:

• May 22, 2024, 11:28:28 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: OS .35-S Combos?  (Read 2784 times)

Offline wwwarbird

• 2016 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
OS .35-S Combos?
« on: June 01, 2010, 11:52:11 PM »
 I've got three OS .35-S's that all seem to have the same run characteristic for me on any model I mount them on. They only want to run consistently if they are on a "Full Honk" two cycle. Although it would be nice I'm not expecting a perfect 2/4 out of them, but what combo will provide a consistent slightly wet two cycle run? What combos are working well for some of you? D>K
Narrowly averting disaster since 1964! 

Wayne Willey
Albert Lea, MN U.S.A. IC C/L Aircraft Modeler, Ex AMA member

Online Brett Buck

• Admiral
Re: OS .35-S Combos?
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2010, 11:59:10 PM »
I've got three OS .35-S's that all seem to have the same run characteristic for me on any model I mount them on. They only want to run consistently if they are on a "Full Honk" two cycle. Although it would be nice I'm not expecting a perfect 2/4 out of them, but what combo will provide a consistent slightly wet two cycle run? What combos are working well for some of you? D>K

This is a well-known problem from the good old days. We all used the *small* (of the two supplied) os-25S venturi. Unfortunately I can't recall the dimensions. Now, I would get a series of them about .005" apart, and select from those by experiment. Actually, I am sure that someone has one that they can measure, or they just know it off the tops of their heads.

Brett

Offline wwwarbird

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2010, 12:09:33 AM »
 Brett, maybe I should just go electric? LL~ LL~ LL~ LL~ LL~

Seriously, thanks for the tip. That's what I was thinking, start shrinking the venturi.

Wayne Willey

Offline RandySmith

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • Aero Products
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2010, 11:46:02 AM »

If you are using the  Stock  venturie  it is  about .305  diameter, Too Big   try a  275 or so size,

Randy

Offline wwwarbird

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2010, 11:55:48 AM »
 Yeah, the stock venturis are definitely too big I think. I've got Jim Lee's venturis on all of mine. I'm pretty sure they are .280's, I'll have to double check.

What props and fuel are some of you using? I'm using Sig 10% nitro with 20% all castor and have tried most every 10x4 thru 10x6 prop.

Wayne Willey

Online James Lee

• 23 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2010, 03:14:25 PM »
Big Art told me some time back that the best venturi size for the OS Max S was .280.   And I'm not gonna second guess Big Art !!
So I sell a .280 venturi for the Max S....   The stock one is about .305....
thanks
Jim

Offline RandySmith

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • Aero Products
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2010, 08:24:23 PM »
Yeah, the stock venturis are definitely too big I think. I've got Jim Lee's venturis on all of mine. I'm pretty sure they are .280's, I'll have to double check.

What props and fuel are some of you using? I'm using Sig 10% nitro with 20% all castor and have tried most every 10x4 thru 10x6 prop.

I always used  25% oil content in mine, 20% was never enough for the motor to cool and heat quickly. My OS 30 and 35  used half castor half synth.  Still have about 6 of them from the 70s, still in  great shape.

The venturies on motors will "act" larger or smaller depending on how open or restrictive the muffler is, That is why many could use the stock 305 with the stock muffler that had the tiny exhaust hole in it

Randy

Dave Adamisin

« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2010, 08:58:24 PM »
Big Art told me some time back that the best venturi size for the OS Max S was .280.   And I'm not gonna second guess Big Art !!
So I sell a .280 venturi for the Max S....   The stock one is about .305....
thanks
Jim
Spot on Jim with a 0.155" dia needle body like a ST or one of randy's excellent products. If you are running the Max valve ~0.135" od body look for one of the .265 or smaller (they came in MANY different) If you've got a 0.272" the Max valve sometimes will work on muffler pressure. I say sometimes based on how worn the Max valve is. It will leak and break your heart. Get the ST or prefferably the Randy valve. and a 0.280 and you will be in a good place to start.

Online Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2010, 09:46:36 PM »
Spot on Jim with a 0.155" dia needle body like a ST or one of randy's excellent products. If you are running the Max valve ~0.135" od body look for one of the .265 or smaller (they came in MANY different) If you've got a 0.272" the Max valve sometimes will work on muffler pressure. I say sometimes based on how worn the Max valve is. It will leak and break your heart. Get the ST or prefferably the Randy valve. and a 0.280 and you will be in a good place to start.

Hmm, will a 25LA venturi work?  It's ~.257, which sounds about right with a stock spraybar.

Brett

Offline RandySmith

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • Aero Products
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2010, 10:59:48 PM »
If you are using the  Stock  venturie  it is  about .305  diameter, Too Big   try a  275 or so size,

Randy

The stock NVA size is approx. .157 diameter,  the ..new..  OS 35 FP uses the 25 NVA  and is much thinner , so be careful that you don.t ix the sizes up and use a  .275 venturie with the New thinner spray bar. If you use a new thin one you will need a .250

Regards
Randy

Offline wwwarbird

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2010, 11:14:29 PM »
 I double checked and my venturis are .280. I'm also using the standard O.S. NVA. On the plane I'm currently dealing with I'm using a Hobby Fasteners tongue muffler. Sounds like I need to go smaller on the venturi.

I'll be looking for ya at Sig Jim! ;D

Wayne Willey

Offline RandySmith

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • Aero Products
« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2010, 12:27:07 AM »
I double checked and my venturis are .280. I'm also using the standard O.S. NVA. On the plane I'm currently dealing with I'm using a Hobby Fasteners tongue muffler. Sounds like I need to go smaller on the venturi.

I'll be looking for ya at Sig Jim! ;D

If you are using the standard  "Today" size (.134) spraybar that OS uses ,which is a 25 size you will need to go down to a .250 or so venturie, or the one that Brett mentioned that was for the OS 25 may work too, If you put in a .157 diameter spraybar , that came with the OS Max 35S , or equivilant,you can use the .280 sized ones

Regards
Randy

Offline Ward Van Duzer

• Admiral
« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2010, 08:56:36 AM »
Big Art's prop suggestions to me were 10 X 6 Wide or 10 X 6 Extra Wide Rev-ups. (FWIW)!

W.
I hate spelling errors, you mess up 2 letters and you are urined!

Don't hesitate to ask dumb questions.
They are easier to handle than dumb mistakes!  Ward-O AMA 6022

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2010, 06:56:43 PM »
There's a Thunder Tiger Cyclone 10 x 5.5 (and a 10 x 6). Pete Ferguson's brother in NJ tried one and liked it. I got one of each for Pete when I sent in a "club order", and he shipped them to NJ. I'm glad to hear that the prop worked, because I have an OS .35S ABC project waiting on me. I got the Jim Lee venturi inserts. It's gonna go into a WU Excalibur that's also waiting...   :'( Steve
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Offline wwwarbird

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2010, 07:34:10 PM »
 I don't have a caliper for an accurate measurement, but the NVA assembly I'm using is O.S. part number 22311000. It's what I use on all of my .25 and larger O.S. engines.

Does anyone ever bother with adding or taking away head gaskets on these? How many would have been standard in the .35-S?

Wayne Willey

Offline Balsa Butcher

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
  • High Desert Flier
« Reply #15 on: June 03, 2010, 07:50:22 PM »
1 head gasket, Randy or ST needle valve, .280 venturi, Excaliber 25% castor, 3% synthetic, 10 or 15% nitro fuel,
RSM 10X6 prop and go fly. Mine pretty much 4 stroke throughout the flight. Great classic engine. 8)
Pete Cunha
Sacramento CA.
AMA 57499

Online Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #16 on: June 03, 2010, 08:58:08 PM »
I don't have a caliper for an accurate measurement, but the NVA assembly I'm using is O.S. part number 22311000. It's what I use on all of my .25 and larger O.S. engines.

Is that the current 25LA version?  If so, and I can find them, I have a big pile of them somewhere and can measure them.

Does anyone ever bother with adding or taking away head gaskets on these? How many would have been standard in the .35-S?

One, as I recall. I think the "add head gaskets" plan was pretty well invented about the time people tried using 40FSRs for stunt. We used to get good and reliable runs changing only the venturi. The compression ratio is higher than a Fox but still not particularly high.

Brett

Offline wwwarbird

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #17 on: June 04, 2010, 12:54:45 AM »
 For informations sake the LA's come out of the box with the rear mounted remote NVA. I'm pretty sure the proper application by the book for the "accessory" NVA that I'm using here is the same for all of the .25 through .40 FP'S and LA's.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2010, 12:56:50 AM by wwwarbird »

Wayne Willey

Offline RandySmith

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • Aero Products
« Reply #18 on: June 05, 2010, 09:58:54 AM »
For informations sake the LA's come out of the box with the rear mounted remote NVA. I'm pretty sure the proper application by the book for the "accessory" NVA that I'm using here is the same for all of the .25 through .40 FP'S and LA's.

Correct  OS  uses  the  20 25  NVA  for all of the motors 20 25 35 40 46  FP  and LA series. The spray bar is a much smaller diameter than the Older OS 35 S  engines

Randy

Offline wwwarbird

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #19 on: June 05, 2010, 10:12:48 PM »
 Thanks for the confirmation Randy. y1

Wayne Willey