News:

• May 01, 2024, 06:55:52 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: OS 35 FP set up?  (Read 6394 times)

Bruce Shipp

• Trade Count: (0)
OS 35 FP set up?
« on: May 07, 2006, 01:01:19 PM »
I just recieved a NIB OS FP.35. It is 15 years old but has never been run. What needs to be done to run it stock (no internal re-work)?   What size venturi and prop will be best?  It will be going on a Brodak profile ME109B.

Thanks.
Bruce

Offline Andrew Hathaway

• Captain
Re: OS 35 FP set up?
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2006, 01:28:01 PM »
Oh boy... I can't wait to see all the replies to this one...

The 35 and 40FP have had so many followers, and as many different methods of dealing with the problems, that a person could spend the rest of their life fiddling and never get anywhere.

You could use the stock venturi (the 35FP uses the same size venturi as the smaller one that is shipped with the 40FP), and run the stock muffler, and a 10-6 prop.  Set to a 4-2-4 break.  After awhile it'll probably take off on a runaway to the tune of 4 second laps and a brite red palm. 

After that we tried the 20-25FP venturi, which drops in without any mods.  With everything the same it worked pretty good, but still would run away from time to time... 4-2-4 until the runaway...

At some point we started using the Rev-Up 11-4 and 70ft eyelet to eyelet lines to slow down the plane... That didn't last too long, but it worked well while it lasted.

Then we switched to the high rpm low pitch method...  Different props, different fuels, different mufflers, head gaskets, tanks, blah blah blah... Still ran away.

I've actually got about 4 of the 40's and 5 35's now, and I never run them anymore.   I've phased them out replacing them with Fox 35's, Tigre 46's, and Max-S 35's.  My opinion is that the 35 and 40FP have too much power for the size planes they're typically used on... Something larger, like a Magnum might be enough plane to load it down a bit, but why build a plane like that for an FP when there are Tigre 51's?  There are better engines out there, that cause less frustration.  Finding time and a place to fly is already hard enough, no sense in wasting the occasion fighting with an engine that requires constant tuning.  Even when they did run right for months, they'd run away at a contest and blow over the time limit costing pattern points.   Short tank it and it dies in the overheads. 

Sell it to a collector, or a diehard FP lover... One of my better 35's is on a carrier plane, and does that job ok.

Offline Bob Reeves

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Somethin'Xtra Inc.
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2006, 05:03:56 PM »
Completly agree with Andrew, sell it and get yourself a Brodak 40 or LA. I messed around with FP 35's and 40's for the first year after I returned. Tried to get a couple reworked but after more than a year waiting for an engine I gave up. As soon as the Brodak 40 became available I sold every FP 35 and 40 I owned.

Went to a contest with a 40FP on a Twister and had to choke it down so much to prevent run-away I couldn't fly the overheads in a 12 MPH wind. As soon as I got home the 40 came off and I never ran one again.

Have to add, we do have a couple club members that got lucky and found FP's that would do OK, so some will work. I never found one but they are out there.

Offline Dennis Moritz

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2006, 10:09:41 PM »
Well guys, I'm from the other camp. Please send your unwanted FPs here. My Twister runs very well with an extra head gasket, free flowing exhaust- tongue muffler with a lot of holes, a large .283 ventuuri, a 101/2x41/2 apc, powermaster %5, %22 (50/50). Jack Weston runs his FP40 in a Gieseke Nobler with the same set up. As do many of our club members. We have about ten stunt planes in our club running this way. Including an overweight fuel soaked Oriental. Both old style and new style (ABN) FPs work for us. Jack's plane is often complimented for it's run and great break. Even my ugly Twister gets its perks. Engine has that much controllable power.

The key to these engines is to run a lot of fuel through them in order to cool them off and keep them from running away. In this mode they generate lots of power and are controllable breaking from a wet 2cyle to leaner 2cycle. Large venturi, free flow exhaust etc. OS sent the stunt version of FPs out configured the way I described above. Perhaps part of the problem is our use of RC FPs that need this simple configuration.

In my experience small venturis sometimes work in light sport planes. I run .265 Venturi in the FP in my Galaxy. But with my Twister, that's a definite no no. The Twister was built somewhat heavy. Five ply in the nose. Half-ribs, webbing between the wing spars and at the trailing edge. It was a kit plane to boot. Had it out today. Flew quite well as it did last season. The steel cylinder old style FP pulled like a bear. Five second laps or so on sixty foot lines. Lots of tension, plenty of time to do the maneuvers. Even as the weird winds blew.

Many times an ill matched prop, wrong fuel, a constricted exhaust and the smaller venturis cause the typical FP problems. Don't believe we've ever had an FP that we could not tame using the simple mods described above.

Man, feels like I do this post every week.

Offline Andrew Hathaway

• Captain
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2006, 12:38:03 PM »
Don't assume anything... All of the FP's I own were FP-S, not RC.  We ran them on all kinds of profiles, and a few full fuselage planes.  From about 1992 until 1997, most of my competitive planes used the FP-S.  We ran different fuels, plugs, props, head gaskets, mufflers, muffler pressure/uniflow, etc... Nothing worked for very long, and usually they didn't work during an official flight.  I've still got stacks of score sheets showing overruns and 0's for the later maneuvers because they ran out of fuel too early.  There is no consistency. 

The FP was popular in its day because there were only a few engines available.  You could either buy a Fox 35 which is another debate altogether, or you could buy the OS for less money.  There really wasn't much else available, it was the best option.  But now with the newer more refined engines available, and the Ebay market bringing out all kinds of older engines that are like new and don't have run away issues, there isn't a need for the FP. 

They're nicely made, fairly light, they start easily, and produce lots of power, they run ok and safely on cheap fuel, etc.  They just aren't consistent, and that's what serious competition stunt is all about.

Offline Dennis Moritz

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2006, 01:57:11 PM »
Seems to me ST46s were around simultaneously with FP40s. Also, plenty of OS35s' must have still been available.

Jack scores real well in advanced with his FPs. Mike Palko ran an FP before he went electric. Dan Banjock took Jack Weston's Twister (FP powered) and won profile two years ago at Brodak. Then there are the standard Foxes the Philly Flyers run. Ones that are broken in and left alone. Lots of those have won stuff in OT. Lets see yesterday I saw four or five FPs run well at our field and three or four standard foxes. Stunt planes and sport planes. One guy had an erratic run with a fox. Small hole in tubing. New tubing, ran well.

Opening the exhaust or using a free flowing exhaust is usually necessary in an FP. The right fuel, right prop etc. An extra head gasket or two. A large venturi is often essential in anything like a full sized stunt ship. Of course many who think the engine isn't worth squat keep recommending a small venturi. I pulled a standard venturi out of a brand spanking new LA40 the other day, just to see what OS does. Large FP venturi .283.

There are also issues about rigid front ends in profiles.

Every now and then one of our FPs gets a head hemied. Further lowers compression, I guess. That's the most we do. Perhaps a third head gasket would have the same result. A member scored a brand new in the box FPS at the last Lebanon Super Swap. Low and behold it came from OS with an assortment of head shims and venturis.

If you had an overrun coincident with your runaway, I suspect your FP was subject to the standard problem of too small a venturi and an overly restrictive exhaust. Fuel must pass through the engine to cool it off. Low fuel consumption is usually a bad sign. Open up the exhaust, put in .283 venturi.

Dan had similar problems with FPs for a long time, until Bill Suarez told him to put in a big venturi and open up the exhaust. The 50ounce fuel soaked Oriental ran great after that. Engine is still pulling that clownish effective combo. Despite shaft runs and numerous crash burials in our field of dreams. It's gone through three or four owners (renters?) since Dan was enlightened many many years ago.

Foxes at times have issues with overly tight piston/cylinder fit. Ahh Foxes, another debate.

Best,

Dennis

Offline Dennis Moritz

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2006, 02:15:25 PM »
Many people in our club fly competition in different classes. We often use FPs up through advanced. Usually when someone hits Expert they opt for a more specialized expensive piece. Let's say I'd choose an FP40 over an LA40 and I'd probably use an LA46 in something like a Cardinal. FPs are more tempermental than LAs, sure, maybe not as sweet to live with as the Magnum Square heads. But when tamed as above, they put out lots of power and work. Then again many in out club run FP40s in ARF P40s, certainly a plane similar in wing area to a Cardinal, so I've seen that combo work well.

As far as my experience is concerned, lots of the setups recommended here and elsewhere, do not work. Small venturis are a no no. Stock exhaust (and many tongue mufflers) need to be opened up. Blocking the boost port reduces power a bunch.

Offline Mike Clark

• Lets get together and burn some fuel!
  • ACE
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2006, 02:52:37 PM »
Hi Andrew,
All the FP's are R/C engines, the S version just has a venturi and needle valve.

Mike Clark
Mike Clark

Offline Mike Clark

• Lets get together and burn some fuel!
  • ACE
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2006, 08:34:39 PM »
Hi Guys,

Well, I'll side with Dennis on this issue, keep that FP35. My FP's ALL run great, not a dog in the bunch.

Send that FP35 to either Randy Smith, Tom Dixon or Leonard Neumann for an upgrade & tongue muffler, you'll be glad you did. More power on the bottom end where you need it, prop it correctly and no runaway or wind up.

After your break in period, you'll be proud of how it runs and it will be a great match for that Brodak ME109 Warbird. One of the flyers in our area flys the same combo without any problems

Mike Clark

Mike Clark

Offline Dennis Moritz

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2006, 09:30:30 PM »
Well Fellas, something else occurred to me as I was thinking the FP issue over. Let's not forget the tuner. The one in a group who's stuff, whatever the engine, runs well. Do you know the guy? Perhaps many of us are not so lucky to have a talent like that at our elbow. In the Philly Flyers Dan Banjock usually leads the rest of us dumbells onto the right path. A few others are gifted but not as much as he. Dan can usually size up an engine problem and come up with something simple that works. Quick fast and in a hurry. He's the guy who says open up the exhaust, change the venturi, use this plug and that fuel and so and so prop. A mix of experience, sensitivity and empirical research. He's gone down lots of wrong roads. When you listen to him, saves a lot of time and avoids frustration. I'm sure that's part of the reason many of us in Philly run engines without internal mods.

Even the expensive stuff (sometimes especially the expensive stuff) needs to be dialed in. Set up with the right head clearance, fuel, prop, tanks, break-in regimen. In my experience, many times poorly running engines have not been set up well. Not an issue requiring redesign. The design can serve as is, it's more a matter of discovering the combo of fuel, prop, venturi, tank etc. that works.

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2006, 12:11:07 PM »
All my FP40s are retimed.  They are still extrememly powerful!  I just have never ran a "stock" FP, whether a 35 or a 40.  I like the 4-2 run of mine, and they are extrememly easy to use.  I run a 10 1/2" to 11" wood prop in the 4 1/2" to  5" pitch range.

My FP 40 which I use on profiles is going on 15 or so years of usage.  Can't tell it, and I have always used all castor fuel.  It's an older iron piston one.

It just seems that there is a lot of fiddling to do if you run them stock, and my flying time has to be used for flying.
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Offline Andrew Hathaway

• Captain
« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2006, 07:26:24 PM »
I read all the replies... But it doesn't change the fact that I've been there, done that, and I've moved on.  If you think 35 & 40FP's are great, then so be it.  But please don't try to convince me I'm wrong.  I don't want to get into a debate about it, or talk about all the things that can be attempted to make them run right... In my experience they don't, and I'm not going to try any more fixes. 

Thanks! But no thanks.  That's my opinion, take it or leave it.

Offline Bob Kruger

• 2014 Supporters
  • Commander
« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2006, 08:45:35 AM »
venturis cause the typical FP problems. Don't believe we've ever had an FP that we could not tame using the simple mods described above.

Man, feels like I do this post every week.

Dennis;

Good setup info.  $64 question with me is your NVA choice.  Are you running the .283 venturis with the ST (read thicker) NVA or the stock thinner OS version?

V/r

Bob Kruger
Bob Kruger
AMA 42014

Offline Dennis Moritz

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2006, 04:01:38 PM »
Hi Bob,
Just saw your post. We use FP needlevalves, which I guess means more net venturi area. Also muffler pressure to a non uniflow vent.

Best,

Dennis

Offline Bob Kruger

• 2014 Supporters
  • Commander
« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2006, 06:46:07 AM »
Hi Bob,
Just saw your post. We use FP needlevalves, which I guess means more net venturi area. Also muffler pressure to a non uniflow vent.

Best,

Dennis

Denis;

Thanks.  I recently picked up an iron jug FP 40 with a broken carb.  I am going to try out the "Philly FP 40" setup on either a Fancher Twister or an RD1 and see how it compares.  My only mod to what you are doing is to change the venturi opening to compensate for the bigger ST NVA assembly diameter. 

V/r

Bob
Bob Kruger
AMA 42014

Offline Dennis Moritz

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #15 on: May 13, 2006, 05:22:35 PM »
One extra head gasket (or two if needed), powermaster 5%,22% (50/50) I've been running that in my iron sleeve FPs as well as the ABN FP and ABC Tower. 101/2x41/2 apc. Open up the standard exhaust or use a free flowing tongue. The earlier muffler which uses a center exit, sometimes needs the tip removed, and exit hole opened to the diameter of the lopped off stinger. Enya #3 plug, which is a hot plug, also helps to cool the combo out. Big venturi. Set it in a 2cycle. Should sound fat and happy and somewhat loud. If engine runs away and fuel consumption is low. Open up the exhaust more and perhaps venturi will also need opening to compensate for the thickness of the ST needlevalve. Best of luck. Tell us how it goes.

Offline rob biddle

• Commander
« Reply #16 on: June 30, 2006, 01:34:39 AM »
Hi I bought a brand new r/c FP40 in 1990 and had great fun chasing run-aways for a couple of months, but gave the hobby away for a couple of years and put it back in the cupboard with my other stuff until I got the bug again.
I dragged it back out because I'm known to be "pig headed" (stupid) as I thought I wouldn't let this sucker beat me. (and was the only decent sized engine I had)
Built a new model (roughly nobler size) and started to tinker with it, Started with 4:1 fuel (no nitro) resulted in 100mph 3 sec laps.
Tried 5/20 and got half way through pattern before "light speed".
Next tried 10/20 (all castor) and low and behold I started getting decent, repeatable runs.
So current set up.
* 550 sq" model @ 40oz, 60' 15 thou braided lines (center to center)
* stock abc (or abn, whatever it may be) r/c FP 40 with r/c carb (yes, you read correctly) and factory muffler.
*4 oz uniflow tank (no pressure)
11x6 master air plank prop. (cheap/ordinary/works,similar rpm to "real" 11x5s)
Starting Regime. 1. fuel model, 2. give 4 fast flips whilst choking intake, releasing finger from intake during 4th flip, 3. connect battery. 4 One flip start every time!
Every time I turned the engine over compression to feel the "bump" it would take 4-5 flips to start it, so after choking I just connect battery and away she goes, first flip.
This set-up likes to run constant 4 stroke, I launch it @ about 96-9700 rpm.
This may not suit every one but the model and engine were intended to be a test "mule" to teach me the pattern, which it did quite well within about 3 months flying twice a week ( with only 2 crashes and plenty of "coulda beens" HA!)
 In hind sight if I had the resources I would have chosen something else because I think I neally jumped on the model 1000 times initially due to frustration. Model is now kept as a sport flyer for any one who turns up without (or breaks) their own model, and a sadder, scruffier model you will not see.
Sorry to be so long winded.
Rob Biddle.
Robert Biddle

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #17 on: July 01, 2006, 11:49:09 AM »
You know, it's funny, but my favorite all time profile engine is my ancient Byron Barker OS 40FP.  Has the sweetest 4-2 break with a ton of power.

Bill <><
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

Trying to get by

Offline peabody

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #18 on: July 01, 2006, 01:33:52 PM »
I would offer that an OS .35 FP with a 10 X 4 or 10 1/2 X 4 is a terrific engine stock....it likes to run a wet 2 cycle and does well when run that way.
I would also hold that FP .40's need re-work to be reliable, enjoyable stunt motors....I have some by Randy Smith that I really like....they run a wet 2 cycle as well....10 1/2 X 4 1/2 APC is magical....

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #19 on: July 02, 2006, 07:31:22 PM »

....10 1/2 X 4 1/2 APC is magical....

Rich,

That 10 1/2 X 4 1/2 APC seems to be magic on a whole lot of engines, but don't tell nobdy!  n1

Gotta keep SOME secrets!   **)  **)  **)

Bill <><
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

Trying to get by

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here