News:

• April 27, 2024, 07:37:56 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Old model New engine  (Read 1385 times)

Offline Bill Mitchell

• Trade Count: (0)
  • New Pilot
Old model New engine
« on: February 14, 2006, 02:25:52 PM »
Last year (darn :o, it might have been the year before that.) I picked up a nice Tempest 40  8) from another flyer wanting to put some funds back in the bank. I haven’t flown it since the day I bought it, and since he removed his engine, I have to replace it. It was originally set up for an FP or LA and when I got it he was removing his 46 LA . Since the mounts and nose ring were all set to this size I should just use one of these but I have two problems, first I don’t have any LA engines  ???, although I do have a NIB 35 FP-S. I also have a bunch of other engines including various Super Tigres, Max-S, and a Silver Foxx 40 that is close to a straight drop in. If I open up the mounting holes on the Fox slightly, it’s in like Flynn ;). Secondly, the person I bought it from was adding mega mass to the nose to desensitize it for me ???. I flew it a couple times before removing his engine and it flew fine, just some unequal runs from the clunk tank height being to low and not able to raise it. I feel like I need to buy an LA for it but (flame proof attire on) I just don’t want to spend good money on junk engines >:(.

Also, I noticed it has an adjustable elevator horn and there is room to move the elevator pushrod down, so maybe I won’t have to use a brick up front, will that work ;D? What else will come close to bolting into the FP /LA mounts :-\?

Bill M.

Too many emoticons, too little time ;D

Offline RandySmith

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
    • Aero Products
Re: Old model New engine
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2006, 07:12:30 PM »
Hi Bill

Your NIB  OS FP 35  should  drop in very close, also if the FOX 40 you have  runs well it will fly the airplane with no problems.
You may also want to try to close the handle spacing down instead of  adding  lead to the nose.

Let us know how it works for you

Randy

Offline Bill Mitchell

• New Pilot
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2006, 07:43:24 AM »
I don't know if this is the right place to ask about props but it is powertrain related. I picked up a used Brian Eather 12 x 3.625, flat face 3 blade carbon prop from a guy for the Tempest 40. It was supposed to be an 11" which I figured I could trim down a little if it was too much load. I'm guessing that rather than trying to trim this prop should it be used for something else? Also Is it better to repitch a stunt prop up in pitch or down in pitch?

Bill M.

Offline RandySmith

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
    • Aero Products
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2006, 04:26:18 PM »
HI Bill

That does not sound like a prop to use on the T-40  with the  motors you have  asked  about.
You may be better  off  using that prop for another larger engine and  getting more like a 11 to 11.5 ich  5 to 5.5 pitch prop.
When you decide what engine to use I can help you a little more

Randy

Offline Bill Mitchell

• New Pilot
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2006, 07:03:39 PM »
I decided on the Silver Foxx 40. I hope to run it in a high/low style, if that doesn't work I'll just use more pitch.

Really curious about whether it's better to start with too much pitch and reduce, or start with too little and increase pitch? I think I remember Ted saying more pitch at the tip helps the corner, but it seems like most people start with more pitch and reduce, which gives less at the tips.

Bill M.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here