News:

• May 07, 2024, 12:47:46 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Old and out of touch....however??????  (Read 1299 times)

Offline Shultzie

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
  • Don Shultz "1969 Nats Sting Ray"
Old and out of touch....however??????
« on: February 02, 2010, 01:50:33 PM »
Although I am aware of just how much these new priceeee' breed of custom composite props bottom line cost must be really quite high.....  

especially when one considers the basic price of materials and then all the steps in manufacturing and the huge amount of labor that must be involved in the mfg. of these awesome one of a kind beauties........

Hummm? Guess I need to get out my crayons and chalk...sit on a street corner and display my new cardboard sign that reads:
"WILL WORK FOR FOOD OR GIVE FLYING LESSONS
 TO BUY A NEW CUSTOM CARBON FIBA' PROP FOR MY TOY AIRPLANE."

(just razzin..and a bit jealous! LL~ H^^ VD~)
« Last Edit: February 03, 2010, 09:09:23 AM by Shultzie »
Don Shultz

Offline Steve Fitton

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Old and out of touch....however??????
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2010, 02:07:43 PM »
I dunno, sometimes its cheaper to buy one carbon prop vs buying a bunch of wood props trying to find (or carve) one "just right".

For the prices of wood props these days you can go broke just as quickly as buying a carbon prop.....
Steve

Offline RandySmith

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
    • Aero Products
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2010, 03:11:39 PM »
Although I am aware of just how much these new priceeee' breed of custom composite props bottom line cost must be really quite high..... 

especially when one considers the basic price of materials and then all the steps in manufacturing and the huge amount of labor that must be involved in the mfg. of these awesome one of a kind beauties........
Bottom line:
Except for the serious CLPA competitor or for those who expects only the finest and then is equally able and can justify these kinds of  high priced accessories to their CEO-CFO-or MisseeeMasssa's....are truly very fortunate and truly blessed.

Hummm? Guess I need to get out my crayons and chalk...sit on a street corner and display my new cardboard sign that reads:
"WILL WORK FOR FOOD OR GIVE FLYING LESSONS
 TO BUY A NEW CUSTOM CARBON FIBA' PROP FOR MY TOY AIRPLANE."

(just razzin..and a bit jealous! LL~ H^^ VD~)

Nope  not really true, ask the people using them ,many have used the same prop for over 10 years, They are not even in the same ballgame as wood props, and the fact that you can turn the pitch\load up and down to suit conditions make the really unique. I wish they could be made cheaply by machine but they cannnot, however they are a bargin compared to the extra performance and ability to adjust for whatever you want to run them on and use them for...only disclaimer is  TRY NOT to break them...that does get very expensive!

Regards
Randy

Offline Jim Thomerson

• Admiral
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2010, 03:26:32 PM »
I bought one Of George Aldrich's Supercool  11 x 5 Petalblade props for $35 at auction, because I was determined to have it.  I flew it a lot for some five years before I broke a tip off.  Roughly $7/year for props.  Not too bad, and $35 was contested auction price. 

Offline Douglas Ames

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2010, 06:41:21 PM »
Wood props are always evolving.
These Zinger Pro props look intriguing. A notch up from Power Points, maybe?
AMA 656546

If you do a little bit every day it will get done, or you can do it tomorrow.

Offline Shultzie

• Admiral
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2010, 09:31:54 AM »

Nope  not really true, ask the people using them ,many have used the same prop for over 10 years, They are not even in the same ballgame as wood props, and the fact that you can turn the pitch\load up and down to suit conditions make the really unique. I wish they could be made cheaply by machine but they cannnot, however they are a bargin compared to the extra performance and ability to adjust for whatever you want to run them on and use them for...only disclaimer is  TRY NOT to break them...that does get very expensive!
Regards
Randy

Thanks Randy...for the UPDATING my "Old and out of touch memory bank about props.
                GADS, GADDLEEE' WHAT MEMORIES YOU JUST STIRRED UP, RANDLE!
Epecially when I think back to the early daze-days and just how much time and effort that I would spend...tweaking..rebalancing...cutting down..reshaping the tips..etc, etc...only to have that delicate wooden prop last only a short time-----OR EVEN WORSE!

Remembering to take valued pre-flight time to remove those old Froom Spinners..and having to always remember to double check and RE-TIGHTEN that wooden prop before each offical flight.

Finally THOSE NIGHTMARES at the moment of truth...when after giving your starting signal to the judge. Then add ICE TO THE POPCICLE' after the first "flip", the SHOCK OF HEARING THAT DREADED "POP!" followed by that awful sound of dead silence..while watching  that spinner and props...twiddle-dee-dumbs to a stop...right in front of you, the judges and GOD ABOVE...
     TALK ABOUT IMPRESSION POINTS!!!
Don Shultz

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2010, 10:10:13 AM »
Randy's comment on the adjustability of carbon props is well taken. The plane goes a bit fast, just de-pitch a touch. Nothing wrong with wood props, but you often need to have a stack of them in very small pitch increments to find the "right" one for a plane then do it all again if the conditions change.

Just a note on this. With carbon props, I usually go thought several with a new plane, trying out each I think might work well in succession. I usually find one that works well in most conditions (or can be adjusted to work). Then I start looking for one to use with the wind is really going. Then I look for one that is right for dead calm. Heat can come into it too. That way, I have a prop I can go to depending on conditions. Carbon props make this a lot easier since you can adjust pitch and wash in or wash out.
Member in good standing of P.I.S.T
(Politically Incorrect Stunt Team)
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline FLOYD CARTER

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • owner
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2010, 11:08:31 PM »
But Shultzie---a loose prop or a dead glo plug after signalling the judges merely results in an attempt.  Unless this is your second attempt, you are good to go again after a few minutes.

Floyd
89 years, but still going (sort of)
AMA #796  SAM #188  LSF #020

Offline Shultzie

• Admiral
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2010, 01:29:37 PM »
But Shultzie---a loose prop or a dead glo plug after signalling the judges merely results in an attempt.  Unless this is your second attempt, you are good to go again after a few minutes.

Floyd

AGAIN! WHAT A WONDERFUL IMPRESSION AND TASTE THIS LEAVES WITH AN OFTEN OVER TAXED AND TIRED STAFF OF STUNT JUDGES?

History has often proved this can be a fatal flaw in gleaning a top spot on the score board even if the flyer has flown a very respectable pattern afterwards. Usually a lack of being prepaired might just be a signal that that same flyer hasn't done his homework in the flying the pattern part either?
Its hard to keep in mind...that the Stunt pattern begins with a good clean start and a good clean finish and blowin off a prop is a pretty shabby start plan?
Human nature...maybe? Maybe not???
« Last Edit: February 09, 2010, 01:58:31 PM by Shultzie »
Don Shultz

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2010, 06:28:58 PM »
Wood props are always evolving.
These Zinger Pro props look intriguing. A notch up from Power Points, maybe?

The Zinger Pro props are a good starting point, however, they are very very thick, I assume to survive the rigors of the RC dudes thrashing on them. They make a great starting place for reworking as generally the wood is good grain and there is plenty of meat available for repitching.  The power point Top flight props are not my favorite starting place, I have not found the wood to be as good of quality.
For years the rat race had me going around in circles, Now I do it for fun!
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2010, 11:06:39 PM »
Having used a couple of sizes of TF Power Point props on two different sized engines, I found them to be fairly good for a domestically produced wooden propeller...stock or close, better than my experiences with standard Zingers and Pro Zingers. Still, I generally prefer certain plastic propellers, such as the APC, Thunder Tiger and Graupner. About the same price as wood, you can modify them and repitch them, and they're more consistent than wood. 

I have yet to try RSM or XOAR propellers, however. Note that RSM props are made by XOAR, in China. I also haven't yet tried the Evo props, but have some to try. RSM's also, but don't have the "proper" test subject.

Interestingly (perhaps), I looked around locally and online to find the Evo props I wanted, and ended up going straight to Horizon Hobby. This eventually brought a cattledog (sic) from Horizon, labled as the "Spring Quarterly 2010". Oddly, there were no CL products at all,  HB~> plus no propellers, and no Evo .36's, even in R/C AP^ form. This may be why so many hobby shops don't know that "folks still do that" CL thang! Don't worry, I'll recycle it properly...  R%%%% Steve
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Offline Andrew Tinsley

• Admiral
« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2010, 11:26:54 AM »
Hallo!

I don't care if they are carbon fiber or wood or anything in between! If you want broken props, then just give them to me. I am the world expert on breaking any prop you care to name! Okay, I admit to not being a top class flyer, but it is almost unbelievable how delicate props can be. I only have to fly....... and "bang", there goes another one! I even had a regular Bolley throw a blade in level flight........it was brand new, first time on an engine. I have got to the stage where I cower when I get anywhere near the possible path of a thrown blade.
  Okay, I may exaggerate just a little, but I seem to break far more props these days, than in the past. The quality of the modern props is so much superior to those of 40 or 50 years ago. However unless I lawn darted a model in the old days, the props would last for seasons! Anyone else afflicted with this malaise?

Regards,

Andrew.
BMFA Number 64862

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here