News:

• May 02, 2024, 08:08:02 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Oil content for an O.S. .35 Stunt with a chromed cylinder?  (Read 934 times)

Offline frank mccune

• AMA Member
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Oil content for an O.S. .35 Stunt with a chromed cylinder?
« on: June 28, 2023, 10:50:09 AM »
      Hello:

What oil mix should I use in the above engine.? 

Tia,

Frank

Offline Dave Hull

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Oil content for an O.S. .35 Stunt with a chromed cylinder?
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2023, 03:53:30 PM »
Frank,

Engine type/construction isn't fully defined. Are we to guess that this is an old OS .35S with a Gardiner piston/liner? Or? What is the rest of the construction:

Piston material?

Ringed or lapped?

Liner material?

Rod bushed or not?

Plain or ball-bearing supported crank?

It all matters....

Dave

Offline Motorman

• Admiral
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2023, 04:15:01 PM »
1/2 castor, 1/2 Klotz Original Techniplate KL205. 20% total oil with 10% nitro, works in almost everything.

MM
« Last Edit: June 30, 2023, 08:39:46 AM by Motorman »

Offline frank mccune

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2023, 08:18:34 AM »
      What total % should I use.  Can the engine get by  with less oil?

Tia,

Frank

Offline Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2023, 08:25:29 AM »
      What total % should I use.  Can the engine get by  with less oil?

Tia,

Frank

You haven't filled in the other blanks, See Dave Hulls response to your original post.

Type at you later,
    Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824
AMA 480405 (American Motorcyclist Association)

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2023, 02:44:51 PM »
We are familiar with the OS .35S (Stunt), but we don't know if it's the OEM piston/cylinder that's been chromed, or the B.G. ABC conversion.

To me, the rod and lower end still require a good amount of oil, with at least half being castor. If there is a problem with varnish buildup, I'd add more Klotz. I'd start with 25% oil for a fresh engine and reduce it to 22% after it has enough time on it...15% castor & 10% Klotz to start, then 15%/7%. Scrubbing bubbles cleans the goop off. Take lots of paper towels along!  D>K Steve
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Offline frank mccune

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2023, 11:32:01 AM »
     Thanks Steve:

That is the information that I was seeking.

I was always curious to know what percentage of synthetic oil do I need to keep an engine “clean.”

Frank

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2023, 11:32:52 PM »
     Thanks Steve:

That is the information that I was seeking.

I was always curious to know what percentage of synthetic oil do I need to keep an engine “clean.”

Frank

When in doubt, ALWAYS refer to Randy Smith's pinned articles at the top of this forum. If the answer you need isn't there, it will be a rare situation. I wouldn't claim that 7% Klotz would prevent varnishing from castor oil, but it will help. And I haven't ever had any problems with internal varnishing, and not even much from external crust buildup.

My usual fuel choice is Powermaster 10/22, mostly because the R/C bods won't buy 5/22, so nobody ever stocked it. More nitro, better idle (maybe) because the glowplug will stay hotter (maybe). Either that, or the LHS guys push the more expensive 10% and know that "better idle" is going to impress the typical R/C bod. Basically, see what works for you, keeping in mind that too much oil isn't going to hurt your engine in any permanent way.  D>K Steve
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here