Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: o49  (Read 957 times)

Offline Terry Bolin

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain
  • Havin' the time of our lives!
o49
« on: October 24, 2006, 07:10:08 AM »
If I understand it right, Norvel and Cox have stopped making 049's.
What are you guys using for new engines?
T

Offline Ralph Wenzel (d)

• Captain
Re: o49
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2006, 09:11:45 AM »
NorVels, in good to great shape, show up on eBAY all the time  - I've been paying $25 - $35 for good, clean engines - some virtually new. Glow plugs are no problem with the Galbreath head/Nelson plug combo. PAW still makes excellent little diesels; not cheap, but long-lived and with good performance.

The Brodak is the "new kid on the block", and I haven't tried one, yet. If it approaches the quality of the B.40 engines, it's an excellent value. The Mark II is supposed to have even better performance than the original.

(Too many irons; not enough fire)

Ralph Wenzel
AMA 495785 League City, TX

Offline Terry Bolin

• Captain
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2006, 09:58:44 AM »
Has any one tryied the Cub .049?

Offline minnesotamodeler

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
  • Me and my Chief Engineer
    • Minnesotamodeler
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2006, 10:43:41 AM »
You're joking, right?

--Ray
--Ray 
Roseville MN (St. Paul suburb, Arctic Circle)
AMA902472

Offline L0U CRANE

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2006, 01:27:46 PM »
Ray,

No, I don't think AmberT is joking. For quite a while, engines and various parts for them were available from Herkimer Tool&Die direct. I've heard that BRODAK also sells complete OK Cubs, perhaps at least the 049A.

According to "Designman" on another site, and via other discussions with him, the OK Cub engines respond well to a light breathing upon, and have surprisingly nice power for someone that old (over 60 years!!). Not stormers in the class of a well-prepped TeeDee, NorVel or repro Atwood Shriek, but very usable.
\BEST\LOU

Offline Ken Deboy

• Commander
    • Silk and Dope
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2006, 02:19:24 PM »
This is kind of interesting:

http://www.okengines.com/news.shtml

cheers,
Ken
There is a fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness"

Offline minnesotamodeler

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
  • Me and my Chief Engineer
    • Minnesotamodeler
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2006, 01:23:17 AM »
Ray,

No, I don't think AmberT is joking. For quite a while, engines and various parts for them were available from Herkimer Tool&Die direct. I've heard that BRODAK also sells complete OK Cubs, perhaps at least the 049A.

According to "Designman" on another site, and via other discussions with him, the OK Cub engines respond well to a light breathing upon, and have surprisingly nice power for someone that old (over 60 years!!). Not stormers in the class of a well-prepped TeeDee, NorVel or repro Atwood Shriek, but very usable.

Huh...only Cub .049 I'm familiar with is the one from about mid 50s, my first one came on a Firebaby (my first airplane ever).  Owned several others from same era, up to a .19.  A Cox Babe Bee would outrun any of my little Cubs.  Atwoods left them in the dust. I was 12-14 yrs. old, what did (do) I know?

They sure seemed to wear out fast; I suppose as a kid I didn't keep them clean enough.  I had no idea they were still available after 50 yrs.!

--Ray
--Ray 
Roseville MN (St. Paul suburb, Arctic Circle)
AMA902472

Offline Larry Renger

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2006, 09:02:54 AM »
With high (30% to 50%) Nitro fuel and clean up of all the air passages, I would say a Cub will just about run with a single bypass Babe Bee on 15% fuel.    Looking at my engine logbook, my highly tweaked Cub "B" turned a Tornado 5x3 all of 16,600 on Aerodyne 350 (35%) fuel.  They just "ain't got it".  My stock Atwood Wasp turned the same prop and fuel 100 rpm faster.

For comparison, a Big Mig .049 turned that prop and fuel 21,450 rpm.   ;D
Think S.M.A.L.L. y'all and, it's all good, CL, FF and RC!

DesignMan
 BTW, Dracula Sucks!  A closed mouth gathers no feet!

Offline Terry Bolin

• Captain
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2006, 07:04:13 AM »
Glad I ask about the Cub. I have a friend who bought a new one on E-bay. Now I will look forward to seeing the actual product. I guess I will watch for a Norvel on ebay!
Terry

Offline Ralph Wenzel (d)

• Captain
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2006, 06:56:50 AM »
HiTerry -

There are at least 2 NorVels and a Brodak .049 on eBAY right now. In the Search Box, just enter "norvel" or "brodak" - not case sensitive.
(Too many irons; not enough fire)

Ralph Wenzel
AMA 495785 League City, TX

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here