News:

• May 02, 2024, 11:10:41 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: O.S. Four-Stroke service?  (Read 552 times)

Offline wwwarbird

• 2016 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
O.S. Four-Stroke service?
« on: July 06, 2008, 10:02:52 AM »
 I've got an O.S..40 Surpass that I'm considering sending in for a rework/overhaul. Where do you send them for service? I know that with the Saito's, Horizon will do them, but what about O.S.?

Thanks!
Narrowly averting disaster since 1964! 

Wayne Willey
Albert Lea, MN U.S.A. IC C/L Aircraft Modeler, Ex AMA member

Offline Jim Oliver

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: O.S. Four-Stroke service?
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2008, 12:33:42 PM »
WWWarbird,
Try  http://www.hobbyservices.com/     

Cheers,
Jim

PS: This is actually a part of the Tower Hobbies gang.
Jim Oliver
AMA 18475

Online Robert Zambelli

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2008, 02:01:04 PM »
Hi, Warbird - first off, what rework were you considering?

Second, what exactly do you need done? A rebuild is VERY EASY - I've done many.

Bob Z.

Offline wwwarbird

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2008, 03:10:29 PM »
 Robert,

It's just a used one I recently got ahold of through a "horse trade". I crock-potted it, and it appears to be in pretty good shape overall. It has a bit of rust on some internal parts, but I don't think enough to really matter. The bearings seem just slightly rough, but it seemed to run pretty decent on the stand. I only ran a couple 3 ounce tanks through it to see if and how it ran. I'd send it to you if you'd like to check it out for me, I'd just need your address.

Thanks!
Narrowly averting disaster since 1964! 

Wayne Willey
Albert Lea, MN U.S.A. IC C/L Aircraft Modeler, Ex AMA member

Alan Hahn

« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2008, 09:12:30 PM »
I have an OS 40 Surpass that once ran great, but over the last few years (actually a lot of years ago) ran crummier and crummier as time wore on. It would take off ok,but when in the air, it would go south--like it was getting leaner and leaner. I checked a lot of things (valves, compression--added a shim to reduce the compression---made no difference.....).

Finally I replaced the bearings since they seemed rough. Now I haven't used it since the replacement, so I don't know if I really solved the problem. But I suggest looking at the bearings to convince yourself that they are ok.

Online Robert Zambelli

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2008, 04:39:56 AM »
Alan - I had the EXACT same thing happen to my Surpass .40, including the bearing issue.

The performance just kept degrading and becoming more and more inconsistant. I tried different fuels, plugs, tanks and prop combinations but nothing worked. Also, the fuel consumption was getting rediculous - over 5 ounces for the pattern.

I decided to try it for one more flight before relegating it to the junk heap. Started it up, was running perfectly and while I was walking out to the handle, it blew up.  ~^ ~^
The crankpin broke off and was rammed downward, splitting the case.

As you may know, I have many 4S engines but the Surpass .40 gave me more problems than all of the others put together. Yet, I know of many people who use them in RC and love them - go figure.

I should also add that the .40 was he only Surpass that ever gave me a problem - all the others are fine. The Surpass .26 on the Cardinete gives absolutely perfect runs.

Bob Z.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here