News:

• May 06, 2024, 11:27:15 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: O.S .52 surpass  (Read 694 times)

Offline rob biddle

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Commander
O.S .52 surpass
« on: December 27, 2007, 02:44:27 AM »
  Hi folks,
 Although having been keen on trying a 4 stroke set up for a while I have been holding off as I couldn't really justify the expense.

My lhs is having an after christmas sale offering 20-50% off everything in store.
An O.S .52 surpass has been residing under the glass top of their back counter for quite some time now and it looks like the owner will let it go at a fair discount.

I assume that this engine should be quite happy in the .49-.60 size airframes which is to be my main focus from now on.

The price listed on the box is $299 Aud but I suspect I could get it for around $220ish Aud or about $185-$195USd.

Does this price seem reasonable and does anyone know of any problems using the O.S .52 for stunt?

Any thoughts or advice greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance, Rob.

Robert Biddle

Offline Rotten

• Ensign
Re: O.S .52 surpass
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2007, 04:11:58 AM »
Why not wait a little bit and get  The Saito Control Line 4 stroke? You can most likely get one for around the same money as that O.S. (Saito 56 cl w/muffler and venturi 195.00 US - 62 cl w/ muffler and venturi 210.00 US - 72 cl w/miffler and venturi 230.00 US.)    www.saitoengines.com       

Offline Ron King

• Commander
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2007, 08:16:33 AM »

Does this price seem reasonable and does anyone know of any problems using the O.S .52 for stunt?

Any thoughts or advice greatly appreciated.

Rob,

I don't know about the price, but the engine ran fine for me in an old 60 size Time Machine. There is plenty of power and if you like the typical four stroke stunt run, you should be happy.

FWIW - O.S. has discontinued the 52 in favor of a newer 56 "a" model. The "a" series has a redesigned oil system which eliminates the crankcase breather. I haven't tried one yet, but they have been making better and better engines each time around (with the four strokes).  :##

The Saitos should be nice also. I'm still playing with my old 56 and 72.

Take care,

Ron

Ron King
AMA AVP District 4
Wannabe Stunt Pilot since 1963
 Amateurs practice until they get it right; Pros practice until they cannot get it wrong.

Offline Mike Ferguson

• AMA Member
  • Commander
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2007, 10:17:38 AM »
You may want to check in with Steve Moon about this motor.

I think he's been using it in his Saturns for the past few years, and it looks like he's been pretty successful with it.

Offline John Brodak

• Charter Member
  • New Pilot
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2007, 01:47:36 PM »
Contact Bob Dixon - he has been using the Surpass .52 for a few years with excellent results.

Bob Z.

Offline rob biddle

• Commander
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2008, 12:31:17 AM »
  Thanks guys,
 Unfortunately I didn't make it to the sale so I will probably hold off for a while and pick up one of the new saitos.

Cheers, Rob.
Robert Biddle

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here