News:

• May 15, 2024, 01:33:37 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: O.S..35-S runaway issues...  (Read 2143 times)

Offline wwwarbird

• 2016 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
O.S..35-S runaway issues...
« on: August 29, 2011, 08:43:11 PM »
 Is it just me, or do all .35-S's love to run away? HB~>

I've just spent the last two days fighting this problem...again. HB~>

Now I do know that the .35-S isn't necessarily a fan favorite, but I've got some of them that I could be using. I've also heard of ones that have run beautifully for their owners. I've messed with four different ones off and on over the last few years, and every one of them follows exactly the same pattern no matter what I do. Two of them are near new BTW. This experience has also been on three or four different models so I can't really believe it's an airplane/engine harmonic thing like I have seen before.

Here's the routine: I'll fire the engine(s) with a soft blubbery rich needle setting and then start sneaking up one click at a time to approach that "happy" spot just before the break. It will seem like I'm coming up on it, but the engine is a long way from it's peak yet. Then I'll go just one more click and the thing goes CRAZY! By this I mean to the point where the whole plane and engine is vibrating and buzzing madly with the engine in an absolute scream. When the engine(s) take off like that it usually takes backing the needle down a good 1/2 turn just to get it to settle down again.

I've tried countless tank and prop combos. All props have been checked and balanced. I've tried the stock C/L venturis as well as .286,.282 and .280 Jim Lee versions, all of these while using the stock O.S. "springy" NVA. I've tried stock FP, Big Art and Hobby Fastener tongue mufflers, all with and/or without pressure. Fuels tried have been Sig 10 and/or 15% nitro with 1/2 syn and 1/2 castor oil, Sig 10 and/or 15% nitro with 20 and/or 25% castor and also Powermaster 10% and 15% nitro, I forget the oil content on that one.

What's the magic combo??? ???
Narrowly averting disaster since 1964! 

Wayne Willey
Albert Lea, MN U.S.A. IC C/L Aircraft Modeler, Ex AMA member

Online Matt Colan

• N-756355
  • AMA Member
  • Admiral
Re: O.S..35-S runaway issues...
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2011, 09:41:14 PM »
What's the magic combo??? ???

While I'm no expert, I haven't had a problem with the two OS 35s that have been in my Ares. The first one, the bushing wore out after flying it on a very regular basis for the past 3 years, and I have a much better running 35 in it now.

The setup I'm running on my Ares is:

4oz Brodak narrow tank
10-6 Top Flite powerpoint spinning somewhere around 8700 (I've stopped using the tach and go by ear now with this engine)
green filter
Sig 10% Champion (20% oil, half and half)

The motor I currently have in it, has more power (probably a slightly larger venturi, I haven't checked to see) and I've been wanting to try the RSM 10-6 on it.  With the old 35 I had in the Ares, it ran out of steam, and with this engine, I want to try it again.

I haven't had a problem with these engines, and they've been in two of my Smoothies, and my profile (along with the Ares) and they run very well.
Matt Colan

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2011, 11:02:33 PM »
Sorry, Wayne, I can't help you on this one.  I love the OS .35S (6) that I have and have no run issues at all.

Hot Plug
5% nitro-29% castor (Powermaster GMA blend)
10-5 Top Flite paddle blades
Everything else is "box stock".

I also have a Big Art tuned OS .35S and use the same set up.

Big Bear
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Offline Air Ministry .

• Admiral
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2011, 06:01:57 AM »
Stock intakes a bit big .Just a bit touchy ordinarilly .

Ive used the big OS 20 / 25 one in the ,30 & .35 . for stunt .

P-38s O.K. but 10 % nitro to tame the setting of it with std. .35 venturies .

When the coustom taller venturies happen , theyll be 1/4 bore with the Std. ( 4 mm? or 3.5 mm ) spraybar,
so as the things a bit more predictable on low ( 5 % or none ) fuel .The 30 you just set and forgot. A third
of a centurie ago .  :##

The Phantom , more recently , with the .35 . Uniflow vent aimed at pilot , end cut @ 45 Deg.
Bent the thing straight forward into airflow one day. Required 1/4 turn on OS needle for same air setting .

Guess your running a filter. Even so , pullimg the neddle and blowing spray bar clean can be a good idea occasionally

The other grotty bit would be spray bar hole not aimed straight down ? ? .

Used to run 20 % Castor in everything when Noah was a boy. Now its 20 % + 3 % Syn ( cool power )
unless its stinking hot , where Id go around 25 % total. Or winter , where 20 would be o.k. .

Could be the notorious ' varnish ' problem , where it needs delacquering ( though not the top few mm of the sides of the piston .If you can run it for a few tanks on a 9 x 6 with No Muffler , youll find if its a rorty as it should be . <=

Offline FLOYD CARTER

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • owner
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2011, 04:08:57 PM »
I'm flying an OS35-S in a T'Bird.  It is sensitive on needling, for some reason.  I would imagine a needle setup with a finer thread would help.  In any case I think it important to use at least 28% all-castor fuel.  Steel piston and steel sleeve requires it for long life, and cooler running.

I still remember the horror stories that GMA used to relate about destroying engines without enough castor oil.  But George did tend to be a bit dramatic!

Floyd
90 years, but still going (mostly)
AMA #796  SAM #188  LSF #020

Offline Balsa Butcher

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
  • High Desert Flier
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2011, 05:17:29 PM »
FWIW: I know what you mean about sensitive needling on an otherwise good OS35-S. This was remedied on my best one by installing a PA needle valve assembly. Made a big difference in a FOX 35 I occassionaly fly as well.  8)
Pete Cunha
Sacramento CA.
AMA 57499

Dave Adamisin

« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2011, 06:23:17 PM »
What Pete says. The PA or an ST g21 valve. The ~ 0.280 vent should go with either valve. The stock Max valve body could be one of the old 0.135 dia and if so you need to find one of the 0.265 vents if you stick with  the small valve body. The PA and Tiger valves also have nice long tapers and fine threads so the valve responds pretty well. Good luck.

Offline wwwarbird

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2011, 06:55:59 PM »
 Thanks guys.

I forgot to mention above that another thing I've tried is running up to three head gaskets, still didn't help.

I usually like to only change one thing at a time to keep track of what works, and what doesn't. I have been thinking recently that my venturis are just to big in this equation.

How about this? First I think I might try going down to something like a .255 to .260 venturi, still with the stock O.S. needle, and see what that does. I say that only because mine all have the O.S. NVA in them already. If that didn't fix things, then I would try a PA or ST NVA, still with the small venturi.

What'cha think? D>K

Wayne Willey

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2011, 08:48:21 PM »
Thanks guys.

I forgot to mention above that another thing I've tried is running up to three head gaskets, still didn't help.

I usually like to only change one thing at a time to keep track of what works, and what doesn't. I have been thinking recently that my venturis are just to big in this equation.

How about this? First I think I might try going down to something like a .255 to .260 venturi, still with the stock O.S. needle, and see what that does. I say that only because mine all have the O.S. NVA in them already. If that didn't fix things, then I would try a PA or ST NVA, still with the small venturi.

What'cha think? D>K

Hi Wayne,

I think it is a good idea to use smaller venturies.  Some people don't like the OS NVAs but I leave them in the engine if they are already there and so far no problems.  Steve Wooley used to put the OS NVA in his Foxes and that's also what Big Jim Greenaway always used in his reworks.

I would add to make sure you have enough castor in the fuel.  Some guys get away with running lower oil content with less castor, but castor DOES help to remove heat from the engine.  (and heat can help cause runaways)

Your predicament is odd since the OS .35S isn't known to have problems with "runaway" like the .35-.40FPs do. ???

Big Bear
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Offline RandySmith

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • Aero Products
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2011, 08:57:07 PM »
Hi many of the "stock" venturies that came with the OS 35S are  310 to 312 size, The reason was they used an muffler that was very choked down, just look at the tiny hole in the OS strap on that came with most of these motors, If you use a more open muffler like a tongue or a after market tube, the motors did..and will run away because of the huge venturie, We used a smaller .275 to 280 venturie size when we used the back in the 1970s. That worked much  much better than the  too large stock ones.
I also used 25% total oil with 1/2 to 3/4 castor and 10% nitro, This will yield a very smooth docile 4/2 run.
Too little oil content will not only help promote "runaways" but will also assist in killing the very very soft, unbushed rod in the engine.
maybe want to read the engine article pinned at the top of this site

regards
Randy

Offline Dick Pacini

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2011, 10:04:02 PM »
Back in the day, I ran OS35s with the stock needle valve, .281 dia. venturi and K&B 100 fuel.  First without mufflers and normal venting, later on with mufflers and muffler pressure.  Never had a runaway.

AMA 62221

Once, twice, three times a lady.  Four times and she does it for a living.  "You want me on that wall.  You need me on that wall."

Offline wwwarbird

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2011, 10:26:47 PM »
 Bill,

Funny that you mention runaway issues with the FP's. I've got a pile of them and I have great results with them. They're probably my favorite two-strokes. I've had good luck with the LA's too. I must just be "That Guy". ;D

To the others here,

I went down and checked my "inventory" tonight and I don't have any smaller venturis right now that will work. I'm still going to get a couple to try though.

I did find and install an ST type NVA, a nice fine thread jobbie. Whatever brand it may be, it's the same diameter spray bar as the stock O.S. one I'd been running. I put it in with a Jim Lee .280 venturi, the smallest I have right now. It's also the same venturi I've been running for a while during this wrestling match. I put the tongue muffler back on too, and plumbed it for pressure. Next chance I get we'll see how it works. D>K

Wayne Willey

Online Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2011, 12:22:38 AM »

I did find and install an ST type NVA, a nice fine thread jobbie. Whatever brand it may be, it's the same diameter spray bar as the stock O.S. one I'd been running. I put it in with a Jim Lee .280 venturi, the smallest I have right now. It's also the same venturi I've been running for a while during this wrestling match. I put the tongue muffler back on too, and plumbed it for pressure. Next chance I get we'll see how it works. D>K

The small venturi is the way to go. The larger of the two it came with was extremely prone to exactly what you are describing.

Brett

Offline FLOYD CARTER

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • owner
« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2011, 01:02:37 PM »
If you suspect that a smaller venturi will improve your engine run, just stuff a sliver of hardwood into the venturi. Not a permanent fix, but it could point you in the right direction.  This was our standard trick with K&B engines and others that had cast-in venturi.

Floyd
90 years, but still going (mostly)
AMA #796  SAM #188  LSF #020

Offline Ward Van Duzer

• Admiral
« Reply #14 on: September 11, 2011, 10:46:30 AM »
Ran all mine with Adamisson tube type mufflers and ST NVA's. A wide bladed prop 10 X 6 helps sometimes and Randy fuel! Nary a problem! A chip muffler with two rows of 3/32nd holes is likely choking your engine and causing overheating. (That causes runaway...)

BTW you could probably add some rubber bands to your tank hold down. A vibrating tank will cause bubbles in your fuel. Guess what that causes? Are you using a fuel filter?

One last "wild one"...You could be setting up a harmonic vibration with your engines. That is, the OS's "happy" RPM may just cause the nose on that airplane to shake uncontrollably. I had a Firecat that would would vibrate unreal with any Fox .35 I put on it. Switched to an OS 35S and it was happy forever! Really!

Ward-O
I hate spelling errors, you mess up 2 letters and you are urined!

Don't hesitate to ask dumb questions.
They are easier to handle than dumb mistakes!  Ward-O AMA 6022

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here